• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Sean O'Malley Says Title Shot is Next. Claims Critics "Wanted me to Lose in the First Place."

Substance Abuse

Beer, Not in Moderation, Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

At UFC 280, O’Malley took home a split decision win over Yan, in a result that had many calling the outcome a robbery, and raised rumors that Yan wants to move on from the UFC. But for O’Malley, now the UFC’s No. 1-ranked bantamweight, it was just a damn good fight.

“Woke up this morning, ranked No. 1 in the world! S*** ain’t photoshopped,” O’Malley said on his YouTube channel. “It does feel good. It’s crazy. If I would have lost that fight, people would put a lot more respect on my name. ‘Damn, he lost but that motherf*****’s good.’ Now it’s like, ‘He won?! He won?! You’ve got to be s****** me!’ But the people that are made that I won are the one’s that said I was supposed to get whooped. Like, ‘Sean’s lucky it’s not five rounds.’ Well, my best round was my third round...

“Round one I thought was a close round. I definitely did more damage. He got a couple takedowns, didn’t really do anything with the takedowns. If you want to talk about getting takedowns, I got a takedown at the end of the round. That was two points, hit his knees, I took him down. So if you guys want to talk about takedowns, why is nobody talking about my takedown? I didn’t do s*** with it but he didn’t do s*** with his either, really. I definitely did more damage...Round one, I definitely can see how people gave me the round. Close round, for sure.

“Round two was even pretty close. I cracked him, he cracked me back. I can see how you’d give him the round, for sure though... And then round three was definitely my best round. For sure did way more damage round three.”

The fight was undoubtedly close, with O’Malley out-landing Yan statistically but giving up a considerable amount of control time to the former champion. Still, a number of fans and fighters were apoplectic with the decision, but O’Malley maintains that anyone crying “robbery” are completely off the mark.

“You wanted me to lose in the first place,” O’Malley said. “A robbery? How is it [a robbery]? Third round, I won, second round, he won, first round was close as f*** and I did more damage. It’s not really a robbery, it was a close fight. A really, really close fight... If that was Cory [Sandhagen] vs. Petr or anyone else vs. Petr and they got the nod, I wonder how much the narrative would change. Like, ‘Yeah, I could see that.’ But since it’s me and people f****** hate me because I’m 6’6”, 220, pure chocolate, and ranked No. 1 bantamweight in the f****** world, b****!”

Robbery or not, O’Malley is now the top contender in the bantamweight division, but what comes next is still a bit up in the air. Champion Aljamain Sterling threw out several possible names for his next opponent, including O’Malley, and UFC President Dana White suggested Henry Cejudo may be next in line for a title shot. O’Malley himself isn’t quite willing to demand one next, but “Sugar” does believe he’s in position to make his 2023 championship prediction come true.

“I said I was going to be champ 2023, and we’re damn near there boys,” O’Malley said. “We’re damn near there.

“It depends on this new contract I get. If I can go out there and make damn near as much money fighting in a three-round fight, let’s get it, boy. [But] no, I think a title shot is inevitable. I think that’s what’s next. Whether it’s in five months, six months, later. I don’t know, dude. I might get that itch. I’m a competitor. I love to fight, [but] the last thing you want to do is go out there and risk your title shot. I could be the f****** world champ next fight, or I could take this risky fight, lose, and then have to win two more. It’s tricky. I think a lot is going to matter when I sit down with the UFC, have a conversation with them, see where their head is at, go back and forth, and then we’ll see.”

Link: https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/10...bery-you-wanted-me-to-lose-in-the-first-place

Confirmation Bias

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: confirmation bias

the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1]People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

AN EXAMPLE OF CONFIRMATION BIAS:
Petr Yan won that 30-27. No way Sugar tits is better than No Mercy!!! That fight wasn’t close at all!!! If you gave 1’malley round one you are delusional!!!

Last edited:
He's not wrong. Hardly anyone was picking him to win. Most predicted he'd get knocked out. This was supposed to be a gimme fight for Yan to get him back to a title shot. UFC was fed up with O'Malley always talking about not getting paid enough to fight the top guys. So they gave him thee top guy to humble him and have some leverage for the new contract negations. Didn't quite work out the way they hoped it would, lol.

He's not wrong. Hardly anyone was picking him to win. Most predicted he'd get knocked out. This was supposed to be a gimme fight for Yan to get him back to a title shot. UFC was fed up with O'Malley always talking about not getting paid enough to fight the top guys. So they gave him thee top guy to humble him and have some leverage for the new contract negations. Didn't quite work out the way they hoped it would, lol.

Ehhhhh I don't think this is one of those cases where O'Malley was being punished, if anything Dana didn't think Sean was ready for Yan at ALL and it was actually Sean Shelby who sold the UFC on the fight.

This is all stuff on record too. Dana said it in an Interview before the fight and again in the post presser saying most of the credit for the matchup goes to Sean as he had no interest in making that fight PRECISELY because he thought he would he lose.

I don't want to live in a world where I'm forced to cheer for Actin' Aljo.

Confirmation Bias

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
Learn to pronounce

noun

the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1]People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

Petr Yan won that 30-27. No way Sugar tits is better than No Mercy!!! That fight wasn’t close at all!!! If you gave 1’malley round one you are delusional!!!
I don't think anyone is actually saying that the fight wasn't close 'at all'...

Confirmation bias has nothing to do with anything in this case

Confirmation Bias

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
Learn to pronounce

noun

You're an idiot sometimes.

I disagree with most of this assesment, I think a lot of us sherdoggers were expecting this fight to be much much closer in actuality than the on paper stats and odds reflected. There were mutliple threads and posts about yan starting slow, o'malley starting fast and the fight being a toss up because of it..

The judges just got it wrong.

Ehhhhh I don't think this is one of those cases where O'Malley was being punished, if anything Dana didn't think Sean was ready for Yan at ALL and it was actually Sean Shelby who sold the UFC on the fight.

This is all stuff on record too. Dana said it in an Interview before the fight and again in the post presser saying most of the credit for the matchup goes to Sean as he had no interest in making that fight PRECISELY because he thought he would he lose.
Glad you brought Shelby up. Remember this?

During an episode of The BrO'Malley Show on YouTube, Sean O’Malley revealed that he recently turned down an opportunity to fight at UFC 268. The MMA star also recalled a disagreement he had with UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby after he turned the fight down. He stated:

“I don’t even know if I’m supposed to say this…Sean Shelby was mad at me. Dude, I don’t wanna fight in New York. It’s far, the taxes are ridiculous, and Tim (Welch) has no-Gi or no, ADCC trials that weekend.” “And he told me that before I even potentially had a fight. So, that’s his thing, and I’m not gonna say, ‘No. I have a fight’. We’re doing it, especially when I could fight like a month later in Vegas. And Sean Shelby was just like, mad and like, ‘Fine. Go hang out with (American rapper) 6ix9ine’. Like, just acting like a f**king tool, dude. So, I don’t know if I should’ve said that or not. But it’s like, dude, come on. What do you do?”

Yeah, so, it’s like, ‘Cool, dude. Treat me like a piece of s**t’. No, it’s like, dude, I would rather not deal with him at all and just deal with (UFC president) Dana (White).

We have seen time and again how the UFC treats fighters who won't do exactly what they want when they want. We have court documents describing this sort of retaliatory behavior from the match makers. I mean, ffs, they tried to make Diaz vs Khamzat because Nate didn't want to re-sign. We know this happens.

I disagree with most of this assesment, I think a lot of us sherdoggers were expecting this fight to be much much closer in actuality than the on paper stats and odds reflected. There were mutliple threads and posts about yan starting slow, o'malley starting fast and the fight being a toss up because of it..

The judges just got it wrong.
Well lucky for us, we have the PBP thread poll as well as everyone's Tapology picks that were posted. The overwhelming majority picked Yan via KO. Second was Yan via decision. Nobody outside of a handful of posters thought the fight would be close. And even fewer were picking O'Malley.

Yeah I feel like they're going to strike while the iron's hot - I'd love to see him vs Chito 2, but having him challenge for the belt w/ his audience will be $$$ for the UFC.

No way in hell should he bypass Chito or Merab but its UFC...he lost the fight in the eye of 19/20 people. This fight...the way he is likely being pushed into a title shot before others that are far more deserving. Honestly I amgetting sick of the UFC...this shit happens more often than not and in this case its just absolute BS.

sean-omalley-petr-yan-ufc-280-24.jpg

Sean O'Malley thinks the judges scoring his fight against Petr Yan in his favor did him a disservice in a certain way.

O’Malley (16-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) defeated Yan (16-4 MMA, 8-3 UFC) by split decision this past Saturday at UFC 280 – a decision many thought was controversial.

O’Malley, who’s now the No. 1-ranked bantamweight in the UFC’s official rankings, surpassed a lot of expectations with his ability to stand toe-to-toe with Yan, but finds himself receiving criticism after getting the split decision nod.

“If I would have lost that fight, people would have put a lot more respect on my name,” O’Malley said on his YouTube channel. “They’d be like, ‘Damn, you lost, but the motherf*cker’s good.’ Now, it’s like, ‘He what? He what? You’ve got to be sh*tting me!’ But the people that are mad that I won are people that said I was supposed to get whooped.”

Yan was stunned with the outcome, but O’Malley thinks the fight was close throughout. He tweeted that he thought he won after rewatching the fight and proceeded to break the fight down round by round.

“Round 1, I thought it was a close round,” O’Malley said. “I did more ‘damage.’ He got a couple of takedowns, (but) didn’t really do anything with the takedowns. If you want to talk about getting takedowns, I got a takedown at the end of the round. Technically, that was two points – hit his knees, I took him down. … I definitely did more damage. I think the criteria of judging a fight per round – just watch the fight: Who looked like they inflicted more damage? Round 1, I definitely could see how people gave me the round. (It was a) close round for sure.

“Round 2 was even pretty close. I cracked him. He cracked me back. I could see how you give him the round though, for sure. … And then Round 3 was definitely my best round. For sure, (I) did way more damage in Round 3. A couple of those takedowns people were saying, too – I fell for a guillotine up against the cage. I didn’t have his neck. He was good at hiding his neck.

“But that wasn’t really a takedown – it was more of a failed submission attempt on my part. Then I tried to hit him with that little trip he hit me, which drives me crazy that he got me on that because I was hitting everybody in sparring with that sh*t. Right at the end of Round 3, I tried it on him, failed and ended up on my back. You could call it a takedown, but it was more of just a sh*tty attempt on my end. But he didn’t do any damage on top.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022...+RSS&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Back