Se7en (1995) movie discussion

He didn't die, the only one who didn't. Doe forced him to waste away by confining him to bed. Stopped feeding I think three days before leading the cops to him. Timing was a little off.
right .. but the fat dude got it for being a glutton, the model had pride, there was lust, greed etc .. this guy was a petty thief from what i remember ... i guess he was too lazy to get a real job? hence his sin was sloth?

right .. but the fat dude got it for being a glutton, the model had pride, there was lust, greed etc .. this guy was a petty thief from what i remember ... i guess he was too lazy to get a real job? hence his sin was sloth?
Yeah, I think that was it: non-contributor to society. Honestly, the victims weren't all that hand-picked aside from the last ones it seemed. That psycho was randomly like YOU! YOU! Then, HEY LOOKY HERE

Since you say you've watched it many times, I'm surprised you've missed this each time;

After mills and sommerset break into doe's apartment, doe explains on the phone call that he's had to alter his plans...

So there is no big flaw. It's a well written, well executed movie, and one of my personal favourites.
Thanks for this! I just watched this movie again last Friday not even knowing it was just past the 20-yr anniversary. My friend mentioned this "flaw." I just texted her with your explaination. Awesome movie.

Would've probably done his typical "I'm too cool fo yo ass" nonsense, instead of actually BE cool like Brad Pitt, who is superior to Will Smith in every aspect anyway.

Except for his explosiveness and athleticism

I've always considered Se7en to be one of the most overrated movies of all-time, and it's even more annoying to me than the way everybody thinks shit like The Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump are wonderful cinematic treasures, because I at least consider those movies to be pretty good, but Se7en is just terrible.

From a conversation I had a while back with @theskza (sorry for bringing this shit up again ;)):

Se7en is up near the top of the list of movies I want to like so much more than I actually do (and with this, The Game, and The Social Network, this is par for the course). Whenever I watch that movie, I spend the whole time wanting it to be better, because based on the plot, there are no excuses for why it sucks so much. The script blows, Fincher's direction is worse, Pitt was even more terrible than I remembered, Paltrow is barely a blip, Spacey is wasted, and Freeman is just there.

The entire dynamic between Freeman and Pitt makes no sense, is written so clumsily, and performed like shit. The antagonism is extremely forced and the friendship over dinner is one of the most cringeworthy things in movies. And I don't think anybody involved in that film at any point knew what the fuck they were trying to do with Freeman. What the fuck was that character? He's no cynical Sam Spade, he's no smarmy Philip Marlowe, he wasn't a misanthropic Mike Hammer. What was he supposed to be? And what was he supposed to end up as? His "philosophy" was imbecilic and incoherent and never cohered in the film's Weltanschauung.

[...]

Beyond the shitty script and the worse acting, the pursuit of such philosophically deep material was something neither Fincher nor his screenwriter were intellectually equipped for, and it shows in the finished product. However, as a great practitioner, much of Se7en's aesthetic is excellent, particularly the sequence where they follow the SWAT team into the sloth's place and most notably that magnificent sequence where they track down Spacey from the library records and he gets the drop on Pitt. Cinematically, the latter sequence is pure perfection from every perspective, especially the cinematography and the sound design, and not even I would dare attempt to take anything away from those few minutes. But beyond those few minutes, there's little of merit, IMO.
For me, there is no such thing as movies I want to like. I either do, or I don't.

I guess I'm trying to hit on the conceptual aspect [...] I hear about a plot involving a serial killer ritually murdering people based on the seven deadly sins, that's a wickedly cool premise that I hope gets an execution that does it justice. But watching Se7en, I want to like it so much because there's so much great material there and it's so frustrating watching it all slip away.

can you elaborate on this more?

The script sets up Freeman as the super rational/intellectual detective and Pitt as the emotional hothead. They butt heads, but this seems contrived. The film scholar Kristin Thompson has four categories of motivation for the existence in films of narrative events: (1) Compositional Motivation, (2) Realistic Motivation (3) Transtextual Motivation, and (4) Artistic Motivation. Compositional Motivation is sort of a fancy scholarly way of saying something is in the movie because it has to be so the plot moves along. It's not necessary in itself, but based on the way the movie is set-up, it needs to be there since there's only a point B in relation to a point A.

I get that they butt heads, but there seems to be no reason for the antagonism outside of setting up the "fun" dinner scene where everybody finally gets along and has fun and Freeman and Pitt commit to tracking down the killer. Why did I need to go through the half-hearted "conflict" before getting them teaming up? The answer via Compositional Motivation: Because there needed to be a conflict followed by a payoff. I felt the screenwriting too much, it was too transparent and carried off very poorly.

Added to which---and this is the most egregious part of my complaint---the antagonism itself, despite being compositionally motivated, contradicts the characterization of Freeman's character. When they show up to one of the murder scenes and Pitt is getting into it with one of the cops at the scene, Freeman chides him for being so emotional and irrational, asking him what the point would've been about the confrontation he was about to have. This is fine as it is, this could serve as a totally organic sequence fleshing out the way these two operate, but then how do you reconcile the emotional and irrational antagonism of Freeman towards Pitt, where the roles are reversed with Freeman refusing to let it go and avoid confrontation until Pitt has to ask if they can stop kicking each other in the balls?

Of course, this could be countered by saying, in real life (in other words, in terms of the Realistic Motivation) not everyone is completely consistent with their personality and real people are hypocrites sometimes so why shouldn't this character be one? But my answer to that would be because that's not how he was being written before nor is Freeman's inexplicable hypocrisy complicated later, for he again chides Spacey near the end for being hypocritical but there's never any examination of Freeman himself, nothing is even implicit, because it's beyond the capabilities of the filmmakers. This, to me, is symptomatic of what I was saying about the film having pretensions to intelligence it simply did not possess. Stuff seems to be trying to poke through the surface, stuff that could've made for really rich and complex characterizations like something out of a Michael Mann film, but the chops necessary for such complexity and depth were beyond the capabilities of the brain trust on Se7en, IMO.

I also thought Pitt's and Paltrow's relationship was so perfunctory and, again, just lazy Compositional Motivation. They were just there, and sometimes they seemed like the perfect golden couple, pretty young blonde high school sweethearts as American as apple pie, then sometimes they're fighting and having problems, but what the fuck was the point of any of it? There certainly wasn't any consistency, nor did anything amount to shit outside of the fact that the film needed to prop itself up on the idea of the happy couple to be able to have the ending be as shocking as it was supposed to be, but since they failed from so many different angles leading up to that ending, it couldn't have possibly been what it was supposed to be.

And, is there anything you liked at all about it?

I liked the moments where Freeman was being the detached, super logical detective. That seemed to be merely Transtextual Motivation, character decoration because the figure of the rational detective has currency in detective fiction with no organic mooring in the screenplay itself, but at least it was there. I wish that would've been developed and kept consistent, I wish something compelling would've been done with that. On the other hand, there was potential in his hypocrisy, but that potential was only made visible due to the shortcomings of the script, and as such, it sure as shit wasn't capitalized on as it wasn't even intentional!

And just a side note: Do they ever make clear why the picture of the lawyer's wife/girlfriend/mistress/whoever she was had bloody circles on her eyes? I always miss that and then, when I'm thinking back over the film, I remember it because it's such a striking image but can never recall how it's connected to anything.
I have no idea who any of those people are, but he's obviously cynical and misanthropic, and I don't think he changes during the movie.

In the beginning, he has no faith (symbolized not least of all in his wanting to retire and escape from the job, the city, and society itself); in the end, after the worst shit ever, he has faith. Where was the progression there? What could've possibly restored his faith? The film, and especially that character therein, was just so fucking incoherent. I don't deny that there's some continuity, but there's just as much if not more discordance, and it's the frequency of false notes that keeps me from being able to appreciate the piece.

Are you looking for more out of his character?

I would've settled just for something, if they'd have taken one track and followed through with it. It didn't feel like there was an arc, just a bunch of random zigzags in the hopes of keeping up with their killer plot with the only real concern being pulling off their "big" ending.

Ok, so here it seems like you're looking for more out of the movie. Do you want more reasoning out of John Doe, and why he did what he did?

I wanted a point. Why did I watch all that? What of significance did Freeman or Pitt get out of that experience? How will it shape them as individual human beings, as cops, as partners, as friends? If you look at something like Heat, the harder Pacino goes after De Niro, the more he has to turn inward and examine himself and why he's doing what he's doing, what his relation is to the world and the people in it who are around him. How were Freeman and Pitt complicated by their search? How were they complicated by their interaction with Spacey?

It felt like a fancy arrangement of the food on your plate to try to trick you into not realizing what a small portion it is.

Sorry to be the guy but I must.

I love this movie, I own it and watched it many times.

The big flaw with this movie is that John Doe put so much time and effort into everything right, like he had a guy tied to a bed for a whole year barely keeping him alive and then in his grand master plan he just goes ohh i'll opportunistically kill this cops wife and do all that, surely a killer that meticulous wouldn't just change his whole plan or whatever in the space of a few days
what are you talking about?\
killing cop's wife was not for the wife. for all we know, she never sinned. it was to cause the cop to commit the sin of wrath, kill John Doe and end up in prison.

I've always considered Se7en to be one of the most overrated movies of all-time, and it's even more annoying to me than the way everybody thinks shit like The Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump are wonderful cinematic treasures, because I at least consider those movies to be pretty good, but Se7en is just terrible.

From a conversation I had a while back with @theskza (sorry for bringing this shit up again ;)):

Lol I feel like you're going out of your way to disagree with me.

Looking forward for our back and forths about The Hateful Eight.

Lol I feel like you're going out of your way to disagree with me.

I may be vicious, but I'm not petty. I'd never go out of my way just to piss somebody off. I always make every effort to let the pissing off of others come naturally :p

Looking forward for our back and forths about The Hateful Eight.

giphy.gif

I may be vicious, but I'm not petty. I'd never go out of my way just to piss somebody off. I always make every effort to let the pissing off of others come naturally :p

It was a tongue in cheek comment, but before i got your notification here I read your review for TH8. We have almost the exact opinion of the movie, not overall but down to specifics. Seriously, go compare.

giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]

And for the hell of it....

I can't get into Seinfield.

@Bullitt68

I meant exact opposite. Idk why but I couldn't edit my comment. Hopefully my post makes sense now.

I find it incredibly strange that anyone could genuinely think that Se7en is 'terrible', but I guess it does happen on very rare occasions.

I'm trying to think of universally loved films which I think are genuinely terrible but I honestly don't think I can think of one.
There are many that I think are overrated and nowhere near as good as the majority make out, but certainly none I would say are terrible and mean it.

That's the thing with brazilian women ...a lot of them look like grown women at the age of 12-13 already. So be careful in case you go over there someday.

Caucasian girls in their 13~15 looks like Asian young 20s. That's why Asian seems to be peodos.

It's one of my favorite movies, but it has some serious flaws.

Besides the fact that they never turn on a light, the movie insults your intelligence and is borderline racist.

They shove the fact that Freeman is highly empathetic and intelligent down the viewers throat. Like we couldn't possibly believe a black man could have these qualities. I mean it's Morgan fucking Freeman!

I think you have this thinking because you are slightly racist yourself. None of these crossed my mind when I watched it multiple times. Also how does the film insults our intelligence?

I think you have this thinking because you are slightly racist yourself. None of these crossed my mind when I watched it multiple times. Also how does the film insults our intelligence?

I assumed 'toph' was joking with that comment :confused:
I hope they are anyway!

I like Denzel, but Will Smith is a fucking idiot.. glad it worked out the way it did. The dynamic between Freeman and Pitt worked well and added to the flick imo. Denzel may have been a bit too young to be the grizzled vet in that film. Morgan was perfect.

Yeah Denzel Washington turned down Brad Pitt's role.
Guillermo del Toro turned down the chance to direct.
Al Pacino turned down the role of Somerset.

I even heard that Michael Stipe was at one point considered for John Doe!

I agree ...I'm thinking about the scenes where Pitt's character showed anger and antipathy towards Freeman's character.
I don't think Denzel could've done it that convincing, because he would've been too gentleman like to come across as genuinely pissed off ...Brad Pitt is more punkish, so it worked out perfectly.

I thought it was a movie where each actor had a purpose and a fit. Not just Freeman and Pitt, I also enjoyed Spacey and Ermey although they had less screen time. They don't make em like this anymore.

I thought it was a movie where each actor had a purpose and a fit. Not just Freeman and Pitt, I also enjoyed Spacey and Ermey although they had less screen time. They don't make em like this anymore.

Yeah it's pretty much impossible to fault.
Spacey was perfect and although it'd be incredibly interesting to see other actors play the John Doe role, I can't imagine anyone topping what he did.

David Fincher is just a great director. With the possible exception of Alien 3 (6/10 for me) everything he does is good to great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duelbits
Back