Scramble Wave drawstring "herniating"

nicktranownz

White Belt
Reaction score
(optional read) Got my Scramble Wave from Budo on Black Friday, finally had the chance to train in it now that I'm at home for Xmas break.

First of all I LOVE it. So much swag/style (even though it shouldn't matter in BJJ but given today's Gi market...). I also think I'm the only one in my gym to own it, which is a rare and crazy thing with all of the gi fanatics (SYR fans included) I train with. Lots of guys I train with were checking it out and whatnot. Fit is perfect right out of the bag. Love how the sleeves aren't that big, compared to my Keiko Raca that can probably fit 3 of my wrists in there.

One of my friends warned me that it was heavy and gets really hot, and that is true, especially in the Hawaiian "winter" (read: humid as f***).
(end optional read)

The one problem I've had is the drawstrings "herniating", even after a single use.

The thick flexible and stretchable drawstrings develop kinks after a single use. I do the standard ribbon tie or whatever its called, i don't even double knot it.
Upon closer inspection, the kinks are caused by the interior rope of the drawstring "herniating" out from the exterior weave.

Here's a picture of it after I forced most of the stuffing back in by pinching and playing around with it and whatnot, but I fear that it might become a recurring problem that jeopardizes the integrity of the drawstring, especially if it is prone to happening along the entire length of the drawstring.

(too lazy to rotate image)
9Gx5i.jpg

Anyone else have this problem, or a remedy for it? Seems like a minor problem though, albeit one with potential to become a big problem.

I would just replace it with a non-stretch rope drawstring. I think the stretch rope sounds like a good idea on paper, but doesn't work out well in reality.

considering what it's for, it isn't the end of the world.

It gets worse with more washes. I didn't fix, just stopped using it-I got 10 other gi's to choose from. Really liked it at first until I did the wash

Hi guys, how bad is the shrinkage in average?

i just got mine as a gift, A1 here, but my wingspan is way too long, monkey arms seem to be my issue.

so the sleeve is at borderline 4 fingers between sleeve and wrist, anybody know if i am fucked here?

some help

Doesn't Scramble post here? Ask them to send you a few replacement strings.

yea mine has that in a few spots,ive only worn it 3 times so far...not a huge deal unless it gets to the point where i cant tie my pants,other than that i love it

This is a known issue to scramble that a small amount of their wave gis went out with bad drawstrings. They've fixed it for everybody who's mentioned it to them :)

Anyone got the contact information for Scramble?

Even though this is my first Scramble product, I'd say Scramble is my favorite brand right now, ahead of Bad Boy, SYR, and the rest of them.

I got the wave when it came out and had the same issue with the drawstring, I tweeted scramble who provided me with their customer service email and Matt got in touch and said they were aware of the issue and were testing a new type of drawstring and replacing them, he also said there would be a short wait as the new drawstring would come with the second wave of gi. As soon as the batch was in they sent me a replacement drawstring, a second pair of pants with a different drawstring design and a t-shirt.

All in all a great bit of customer service for something that really didn't affect me too much (I still trained in my wave and the drawstring held up).

Wow, they are taking a drawstring so seriously... What is it, like a $3 piece of rope? And they are giving away pants, shirts, as well as new drawstrings? Seems like a good way to make money, unless they are making 200% profit on the original sale of the Gi.

Wow, they are taking a drawstring so seriously... What is it, like a $3 piece of rope? And they are giving away pants, shirts, as well as new drawstrings? Seems like a good way to make money, unless they are making 200% profit on the original sale of the Gi.

If you know how much the gi is actually worth with their upfront cost, you will be surprised at how much money they're making. But I buy it and other brands/models anyway. Just like how a McRib doesn't cost half as much as it's retail price :D

Last edited:
Back