Scissors takedown...

Kani Basami/Crab Scissors can be a great technique if done properly.

The risk is that instead of scissoring with the top leg around the waist & the bottom leg behind the knees, the scissor slips down so the top leg is on the knees, the bottom leg on the shin or ankle. Combined with a hard scissor (almost a kick) damage to the knee/s can be pretty nasty.

As a sacrifice throw it also has the same risk as any sacrifice throw. If you miss the technique, you end up on your back on the ground in a vulnerable position.

I like Joe's idea of following with a heel lock. Joe, why dont you post a video or pics or at least a description of the technique. Unlike the inevitable trolls who post, most of us here are here to learn from each other, so please share!

judogido said:
Kani Basami/Crab Scissors can be a great technique if done properly.

The risk is that instead of scissoring with the top leg around the waist & the bottom leg behind the knees, the scissor slips down so the top leg is on the knees, the bottom leg on the shin or ankle. Combined with a hard scissor (almost a kick) damage to the knee/s can be pretty nasty.

As a sacrifice throw it also has the same risk as any sacrifice throw. If you miss the technique, you end up on your back on the ground in a vulnerable position.

I like Joe's idea of following with a heel lock. Joe, why dont you post a video or pics or at least a description of the technique. Unlike the inevitable trolls who post, most of us here are here to learn from each other, so please share!

Have you seen Ryo Chonan vs Anderson Silva at Shockwave 2004? That was a perfect example of the scissors into a heel hook.

Bmonk said:
I suggest you watch all of Imanari and Yano's fights in ZST. It's basically one of the only moves they ever go for.

Imanari recently got KTFO via knee to the face courtesy of Hansen while attempting the move.

I think it's safe to say aside from leglocks, Imari has nothing else.

flyingknee16 said:
I think it's safe to say aside from leglocks, Imari has nothing else.

I don't think I've ever seen him throw a punch.

Joe Lauzon said:
I put a few clips together with the badass music from the Bushido 7 HL music from Gomi's Fight

Right Click and Save As: http://joelauzon.com/hl/Flying.wmv

I look forward to seeing Stoic1's Clips
Nice. Thanks mate. I like the idea of the scissors as a defense to the single leg. An unexpected & effective counter.

I must say I didn't get the sarcasm in Joe's first post...

I feel like I've been owned by someone, possibly myself.

Waxwingslain said:
I must say I didn't get the sarcasm in Joe's first post...

I feel like I've been owned by someone, possibly myself.
Likely, but it happens to the best of us. Just glad it worked out well, as I respect Joe, and would hate to see him blow off Sherdog because of misunderstandings.

This particular post has nothing to do with it... its the forums here as a whole.

I find it's best to only comment when there is something worthwhile to comment on you can contribute to, which is why my post count is comparatively low. I can understand if you find the forums a little overrun and incomprehensible at times.

Sorry to take this conversation back to it's origins : P The scissor takedown (kani-basami) was banned in judo because it was widely abused in Japan. Before major tournaments, some universities used to sent some of their students over to other universities's judo practices to injure the other university's best competitors. That's how they made sure their school would be the #1 in the upcoming competition.

I have to say that I'm happy that it's banned. If someone would do kani-basami to me during the practice, whether in judo or bjj, I would be even more pissed than if someone would heelhook me. In MMA, sure, but in grappling, no way in bloody hell.

EDIT:

Oh, sorry. I only read the page 2 now where someone already pointed this out. Sorry.

Why must we water down the grappling arts that we cherish so dearly? CBJJ rules are no neck cranks, no leglocks, no scissors takedowns, basically only upper boddy submissions up until PURPLE BELT level. That means it might take an average person 6 years before they'll be able to use leglocks in competition! That's insane! I think the no crossfaces/no scissors takedowns in Judo is lame too. Wrestling is lame in that you can grab your hands together (right?) once you hit the ground. It's important for us to not water down the grappling arts anymore and we should combine them all so everyone can have access to all the techniques, albeit they must be practiced SAFELY.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean wrestling is LAME, but i meant that one aspect of it is lame, i love wrestling btw.

I saw a Capoeira instructor do the scissors takedown in a white belt competition and get two points for it. I'm surprised they let him have it. He didn't really know what to do from there though and lost the match. He also tried some illegal leglock at one point and was told not to do it so the referee was watching.

Okay... One last post.

That was taken from here , Starting with the third paragraph.

And if you go here , You can read about me hitting it twice in the absolute grappling division on Kipp Kollar and Dan Simmler, on my way to winning the whole thing, at 155 pounds.

I think I do know a bit about the move... but I will bow down to the superior posters of sherdog.

LOL...

Quite the disappearing act by Stoic1...

i've witnessed joe nail that move in a few comps and he not only owns it but his follow up leg or i should say feet attacks are lethal...

<embed src="http://www.expertvillage.com/evplayer.aspx?flv=advanced-sambo-scissor-ankle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="392"></embed>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ru2es92JvA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4ru2es92JvA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Back