Salary Report: Former Champ, JDS Tops UFC 155 Payroll

I realize that most pro athletes make way more than mma fighters, but if they have trouble living on a $20,000 paycheck that they get three times a year then I have zero sympathy for them.

Do you realize that they have to pay for camps, travel, etc. and obviously taxes? Those are probably getting 1/2 of that money at most to support their family.

The one's who deserve one do. The one's who don't, or who's contracts haven't come up yet don't.

All these contracts are freely and fairly negotiated. I don't really feel bad for anyone who operates in a free market for their labor and enters into a mutually agreeable contract for services.

I really don't feel bad for anyone who gets paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a year to compete in a sport, or entry level athletes who sign up to do it for less in the hopes of moving up the ladder and earning themselves a big contract.

Prefectly said.. Look at someone like Bisping who has said that he does not get PPV bonus but he made 425 grand on his last fight. He has a 150 thousand guaranteed win bonus. So if he fights 3 times in 2 months that is over 1.4 mil not including any sponsor money or other ways these guys get paid like with gyms or seminars. And for anyone that talks about the boxing pay like with Manny or Floyd, nobody is buying 1 mil PPV's to watch Bisping fight..

Prefectly said.. Look at someone like Bisping who has said that he does not get PPV bonus but he made 425 grand on his last fight. He has a 150 thousand guaranteed win bonus. So if he fights 3 times in 2 months that is over 1.4 mil not including any sponsor money or other ways these guys get paid like with gyms or seminars. And for anyone that talks about the boxing pay like with Manny or Floyd, nobody is buying 1 mil PPV's to watch Bisping fight..

now your talking about someone in the millions, you have the same mentality for a fighter who doesnt even break 65k

can i plz have a link to this interview.

fighters who are from overseas get taxed the worst.

I think Pacman only got 6 million for his last fight. And he has a 200 man entourage that he has to feed.

Anderson made more than that against Chael.

Some of the fighters making 10k for a win..thats so cheap..

Sometimes I wonder why I train MMA.

But they make a kajillion zillion dollars in super secret locker room bonuses.

That Dana doesn't let anyone know about because, as he claims, he's protecting the fighters from hangerons.

It's pretty incredible from a business perspective. You gotta hand it to Dana and their lawyers.

The worst part is this event made $3.4 million at the gate. That's just from ticket sales. Yet the combined payroll was something like $2.2 million for the fighters.

They made more at the gate at the arena than the fighters did combined. You factor in merchandizing, PPV, logos on the octagon mat, and the UFC is making out like a bandit while having to pay the people who make them that money very little.

The UFC contracts are performance based, which means if a fighter hits this mark or that mark, they can make more money, but when the fighter first signs the contract, they aren't able to demand anything, it isn't until they are already legally locked into a contract that they have leverage, but by then, the UFC has them by the you know what.

Only way it will change is if there was ever some hot big shot fighter from outside the UFC who could make demands and have the UFC still want them, but that won't happen. Not even Fedor could have any demands met.

Do i get paid 40 grand times 3 or 40 grand once? You can afford more expenses with 3 times the salary..

the argument was 60k a year before taxes, then u brought up your 40k, managers and trainers arent cheap dude, I'm sure they can afford it all, obviously, but the time and effort is the argument here, other athletes around the world put in less and get so much more

now your talking about someone in the millions, you have the same mentality for a fighter who doesnt even break 65k

Stars get paid.. Draws get paid.. The lesser fighters still do well and if they win and draw.. They get paid a lot more..

Would they prefer the 40 grand i made last year before taxes??

What you do for $40K a year, whatever it is, someone else can do it. A lot of people could.

What JDS or any high-level MMA fighter gets paid for, nobody else can do it. UFC can't fire JDS then put an ad in the paper looking to hire someone with his same skillset.

JDS is making big money. 400.000 base pay, Nike sponsorship ect.

Glad hes doing well.

the argument was 60k a year before taxes, then u brought up your 40k, managers and trainers arent cheap dude, I'm sure they can afford it all, obviously, but the time and effort is the argument here, other athletes around the world put in less and get so much more

The UFC can not afford to give out crazy guarantees to everyone on the roster that is not drawing.. This is a business not a charity. You want a no name with no drawing power making 100 grand guaranteed a fight? You'd be out of business real fast with that approach. The UFC is not the NFL..

I think it's funny that every time the subject of money comes up, people come out of the woodwork and claim certain fighters end up owing out of pocket to fight in the UFC.

What you do for $40K a year, whatever it is, someone else can do it. A lot of people could.

What JDS or any high-level MMA fighter gets paid for, nobody else can do it. UFC can't fire JDS then put an ad in the paper looking to hire someone with his same skillset.

This addresses nothing whatsoever in this thread... JDS is making a ton of money..

things fighters must pay for

Taxes
manager
training camp
traveling

Bonuses are taxed at 25% percent by the feds, and if your are a foreigner you must pay extra taxes. Some states like new york also have a independent contractor tax that fighters must pay.

Back