Sage Northcutt makes it in to 'Gym Idiots'

Partial reps are key to developing strength in a full ROM. Most people have a part of the ROM on the big 3 where they are the best.

For example. When I deadlift, I am super fast out of the hole. The upper part of the ROM is the weak part, so I do a lot of rack pulls which removes the bottom 20% of the lift or so because I accelerate very quickly.

The same with squats. I explode out of the bottom of the ROM easily (ass to grass) and begin fading at the top.

Sometimes I put the locks at right above parallel and load up as much weight as I can and just rep it out. It helps prevent fatigue and increase my acceleration in the top part of the ROM, thus increasing my strength in that area and matching up my acceleration to be more effective throughout the entire ROM instead of just an explosive bottom end.

It is actually strength training 101. I'm not shocked at all that 90% of the people here don't understand.

But why would you post a video doing a partial squat if you can do that much all the way through

But why would you post a video doing a partial squat if you can do that much all the way through
He didn't hit parallel but he got damn close. It wouldn't have counted in a meet, but he doesn't power lift professionally.
I've never posted videos of me lifting so I wont' pretend to understand his reasoning. Hell I don't even have an instagram.

Ya ya you got me Herc but I'm not going to bother with the pissing contest. Long standing debate on just how deep you should squat but parallel will still most definitely activate your muscles.

Throw in the facts of his age and body fat/ weight moving 4 plates is impressive. Hell, If I remember right he goes deeper than Jones and if I recall it's like the same weight.

But you're right, tell me again how you are taking the body building / strongman world by storm.

Anyone who thinks that squat was impressive tells us all we need to know about their ability to properly lift, there is no debate on deepness of squat unless you are talking how much deeper below parallel, that is pure bro science you are vomiting, now don't you have to spot your bro real close for deadllifts or something?

If you actually think that high a squat even with that amount of weight is impressive for a life long athlete like him, you really need to go to a gym instead of sitting at home defending Sage, believe me, ego lifting is never impressive.

Last edited:
Weight lifting enthusiasts might actually be the most unbearable people on the planet. They make hipsters look unselfconscious. They make metal fans look reasonable and open-minded. They make Sherdog trolls look smart.

If we ever need a new subculture to relentlessly mock and torment, may I put them forward as a suggestion?

Weight lifting enthusiasts might actually be the most unbearable people on the planet. They make hipsters look unselfconscious. They make metal fans look reasonable and open-minded. They make Sherdog trolls look smart.

If we ever need a new subculture to relentlessly mock and torment, may I put them forward as a suggestion?
best post 2016

There's not only one way to squat. A full range of motion is definitely the way to go for overall leg and athleticism development, but there's more to it. People might have different goals. Sage has coaches, personal trainers, they obviously know how things work. Maybe his goal in this particular workout was purely strength-focused. Maybe he was deliberately putting on more weight, trying to set a personal record or something, and therefore there's a chance his intention was indeed performing a more powerlifting styled squat instead of going ass to grass.

Personally, I prefer to squat with a full range of motion. But that's me. Judging other people's goals and exercises and labeling them as "idiots" for that would make me sound like an arrogant prick.

I have the head harness myself, strengthening your neck is good for any combat sport/ to avoid injury (that's why I do it)
Makes sense to me. I imagine it's a good idea to work on your neck's flexibility and range of motion as well. I've heard that one good way to build neck strength is doing a lot of work in the muay thai clinch. Good luck to you.

Not all weight lifting enthusiasts criticize people.
There are several in this very thread who are explaining the potential reason for partial reps.
You do sound super judgmental and bitter, though.

Anyone who thinks that squat was impressive tells us all we need to know about their ability to properly lift, there is no debate on deepness of squat unless you are talking how much deeper below parallel, that is pure bro science you are vomiting, now don't you have to spot your bro real close for deadllifts or something?

If you actually think that high a squat even with that amount of weight is impressive for a life long athlete like him, you really need to go to a gym instead of sitting at home defending Sage, believe me, ego lifting is never impressive.
I've seen your pictures and videos. You're a joke. Go on and tell me how squatting your personal best 135 with a full ROM is more impressive lmao. Get out of here troll

Listening to the gym rats argue about who knows the "proper way" to lift is like going to a comic-con debate about whether Batman could beat up Boba Fett.... The amount of self righteous anger two dudes can have about whether someone should bend or extend their legs a few more inches is unbelievable.

I honestly don't think it's possible to have a thread about lifting without two guys getting into it and furiously questioning the others gym knowledge, brah....

I've seen your pictures and videos. You're a joke. Go on and tell me how squatting your personal best 135 with a full ROM is more impressive lmao. Get out of here troll

I've never posted a link or video on this site. The only reason I am responding to a 600lb virgin basement dweller is because while I am always right, I never get to call someone out with 100% certainty, post links and when you can't, delete your account and stop jerking it to Sage.

Edit: BTW, you keep adding more proof you don't lift, ability to squat a plate ATG is definatly more impressive than above parell with too much weight.

Makes sense to me. I imagine it's a good idea to work on your neck's flexibility and range of motion as well. I've heard that one good way to build neck strength is doing a lot of work in the muay thai clinch. Good luck to you.
Thanks man and I kind of have a cerrone neck so I gotta beef it up lol

Bad form is bad form & yeah there's loads of ways to squat, and some of them can help break plateaus but the vid isn't about that- it's clearly for pure jest reasons and if people have sucky form, and come across this video, and it wakes them up: that's good. Took awhile to get past how dry the humor is though, like the first time you see the youngest castmembers in just about any Judd Apatow film, Michael Cera for example.

Back