Sage Northcutt finally ditches the 'Nice Guy' act & drops BOMBS on Mickey Gall (warning, offensive):

What are you gonna spend all the likes on sir?

I'm saving them up until I have enough to get the model battleship kit.

ticketRedemption2.jpg

I would have my money on the explosive brown belt over the dude who tapped from an arm triangle from half-guard.

It actually wasn't an arm triangle, very common understandable misconception, but Sage was actually caught in a modified Von Flue choke, which is a very rare, very misunderstood, very legit choke.

Check this out if you're interested, Rener Gracie breaks it down. I synced up the video to that part for you:

I like this new Sage. He did a fucking number on Gall with that though.

I'd give him dubs if I was a mod.

It actually wasn't an arm triangle, very common understandable misconception, but Sage was actually caught in a modified Von Flue choke, which is a very rare, very misunderstood, very legit choke.

Check this out if you're interested, Rener Gracie breaks it down. I synced up the video to that part for you:

Geez dude, nothing gets by you. Good pick up.

But here's some tin-foil hat shit for you: I'm going to throw the possibility out there that Gracie might have got that analysis wrong. Or he didn't get it wrong, but he may have wanted a bit of controversy for that demo. You don't ever correct a Gracie when it comes to jits, but hear me out here:

So he's saying what Bryan did was a modified Von Flue choke. I'm actually familiar with it because arm-triangles were my favourite sub when I was training, but guys got so used to defending it that I used to get a few Von Flue chokes. Basically, if you can get good at one you can do the other (the set up is basically the same, you just switch the side you're trying to pass on once the head and arm is sinched). But there's a fundamental difference in the mechanics of the choke; an arm triangle puts pressure on using the choker's head side (Sage's right side of his neck, in this case) - you essentially cut of the opponent's main artery in their neck with their own shoulder and deltoid muscle group. In a Von Flue choke, you are cutting off the blood supply on the other side of their neck with your shoulder joint - and you need the weight and leverage of your body to really do so, hence why you would usually posture your hips up.

Another big difference between the body positions of an arm-triangle and a von flue choke is the fact that you need to sprawl out from your opponents body - almost at a right angle (well, I would anyway). It would be hard to submit someone with a Von Flue from half guard (not that I'm saying you can't do it), but it would be about as hard as it would be to submit someone with an arm-triangle from half-guard...anyway, see the below comparison to point out what I'm talking about:

wYs4a0N.jpg

Note another big difference between the two chokes - in a Von Flue, you don't usually have your head on the mat because all your weight is on your right shoulder which is digging into the left side of your opponents throat (using the above as reference). If your head is on the ground, you're taking weight off your choking shoulder. Your head is typically on the ground with an arm-triangle, though.

I'd give Gracie the benefit of the doubt here if at least one of those three things were happening in the Barberena choke, but they aren't: his head is on the ground, he hasn't sprawled out (he's in half-guard, obviously) and not only are his hips are low, but his torso is nearly flat on Sage too...I just can't see where his weight is coming from to force a tap.

The obvious flaw to Sage's arm-triangle choke theory that no one really talks about is the fact that Barberena cranked it while in half-guard FROM THE WRONG SIDE. Very hard to submit someone from there, but again, it's probably not impossible if someone was proficient at it.

Actually, the more I talk about it, the more silly it seems that Sage tapped from it regardless whether it was some poorly-positioned Von Flue with no leverage, or an arm-triangle from half guard on the wrong side. Maybe Barberena is just exceptional with any head-arm choking, but neither sub makes any sense mechanically speaking... I'm more inclined to believe it was an arm-triangle from half-guard than a Von Flue from half-guard with absolutely no leverage or weight.

Saying all this, I'm like the world's longest serving white belt, so it would be interesting if an adept BJJ practitioner could chime in here and give us their take on this sub and how this actually worked.

Thanks for the vid, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Jesus H Christ. Ruthless Sage should be his new nickname. Look out Chael

How can MMA grow as a sport with thuggish comments like this? Come on Sage.

timestamped for the NSFW shit. You've been warned, people, it's a tough, tough listen.

"He's talking about my hair — he wants to punch the spikes out of my hair — and looking at that from his fights that I've seen and looking at his pictures, his hair kind of looks like mine," Northcutt said. "It just doesn't have the hair gel in it, it doesn't look like. I'm thinking that maybe he should get some hair gel and style it or something."

Now, do you think it's adorable? Are you quoting someone? Or are you being sarcastic?

Just trying to understand your quotes. And let me tell you, if you are being sarcastic, you can get the fuck out right now.

Sage is adorable and great and I can't wait to see his beautiful thigh muscles place Sages knee right through mickeys ungelled head

Sage is the example you use when you're trying to convince your parents to let you train MMA after school. Tell them everyone in the UFC is exactly like Sage.

I've seen ISIS videos that are less disturbing, than those violent words he used.
What a savage that kid.

Why did he have to make it personal.. Bad guy

Now, do you think it's adorable? Are you quoting someone? Or are you being sarcastic?

Just trying to understand your quotes. And let me tell you, if you are being sarcastic, you can get the fuck out right now.

Sage is adorable and great and I can't wait to see his beautiful thigh muscles place Sages knee right through mickeys ungelled head
200_s.gif

Back