Ryan Laflare out, Zak Cummings in to face Gunnar Nelson

Well this is very unfortunate for Gunnar since a win aginst Cummings won't do much for him rankings wise but a win over LaFlare would at least do something. Zak Cummings was simply the only guy available at this moment. I'm 100% sure UFC wanted Mike Pyle but for some reasons he could not accept the fight.

If Gunnar wins he will be riding a four fight winning streak in the welterwight division which is alright I guess but a win over LaFlare would have been much better. And I think the LaFlare fight would tell a lot more about Gunnar.

upside: gunnar gets another win
downside: doesn't do anything for him
gunnar.jpg

Gunnar is ready for the top guys in the division. I see no point in throwing unknown guys at him.

zak wont win. + wont be co main!

War Gunnar!

Sounds like a duck from LAflare

I think gunner would have blemished his record.

Good move by his camp.

Zak Cummings will do plenty for gunnar. He gets to work on his HL reel if he manages to snatch a sub off him, what r u guys taking about? Guy is fairly new to the league, let him marinate into a better fighter

Ugh. That sucks for Gunnar. Laflare is a good fighter, solid prospect and has that undefeated resume - however Nelson was a nightmare match up for him. He was gonna take that boy's cookies standing and on the mat. Where the fuck does beating Zak get him? Absolutely nowhere.

Welp, that bet is ruined. Not gonna re-bet on Gunnar, I'll get two cents on the dollar.

I was really looking forward to Robertson dominating Cummings on the ground as it wouldn't be as expected. With Gunnar, we all know what is going to happen.

Given that Conor McGregor vs Cole Miller is the main event, co-main event and undercard for most people purchasing tickets, I figure this will have little effect on anything besides us hardcore fogeys who are peeved as hell.

Seriously that sucks.

Have you guys even watched Cummings in the UFC? His upset of Cabral he looked great.

Not that I'm picking him, but a tough gritty guy who's good in all areas is a solid replacement here.

Would rather see A+ level athlete Pat Barrista Cummins against BigMac Country Nelson

I say Cummings weathers the early rounds & drops Gunnar with an uppercut in the 3rd to secure a TKO or wrap up a D'arce. Just seems like the most likely outcome...

Have you guys even watched Cummings in the UFC? His upset of Cabral he looked great.

Not that I'm picking him, but a tough gritty guy who's good in all areas is a solid replacement here.

I think a lot of us are just prospect crazy and see Cummings, a solid veteran who is capable of flashes of greatness, as a step down from the prospect Ryan LaFlare.

Easier fight for Gunnar, Cummings proved he can hang with great grapplers against Cabral but Gunnar is a different beast. Dude can strike, too. I see Gunnar submitting Zak.

Robertson will probably get someone like Igor Araujo.

I think a lot of us are just prospect crazy and see Cummings, a solid veteran who is capable of flashes of greatness, as a step down from the prospect Ryan LaFlare.

I don't disagree, but a step down doesn't make it a bad fight, which is the overall feeling I'm getting from this thread.

Nothing wrong with being prospect crazy though.

I don't disagree, but a step down doesn't make it a bad fight, which is the overall feeling I'm getting from this thread.

Nothing wrong with being prospect crazy though.

Well you have to remember that we're not exactly the most patient bunch at Sherdog. We have 6 page threads complaining about the quality of the first prelim fight on Fight Pass.

Honestly Cummings is a fine opponent for Gunnar Nelson and he's looked pretty good at 170 lbs. I would've GREATLY preferred Ryan LaFlare but any chance to watch Gunni work is appreciated.

LaFlare is good but I still think Nelson was a bad matchup for him. LaFlare his no KO artist and would think twice before trying to take Nelson down.

LaFlare was a more interesting opponent than Cummins but the fact that the card is in 2 months and that they have already found a replacement, Cummins, who was already booked to fight another guy speaks for itself: they are cautiously chosing Gunnar's opponents.

Here's an alternative theory: Anyone worth a damn (i.e ranked or close to being ranked in the top 10) is very hesitant to accept a fight with Gunnar Nelson. Especially at short notice.

This is not new. Gunni has had trouble getting suitable opponents for most of his career. Even before he signed with the UFC.

Cummings is a huge WW and has proved that he can deal with elite grapplers when he fought Yan cabral. Gunnar is a tiny WW—I read that he weighs 175lbs on fight night)— he should be at LW imo. That said, I think Gunnar can out point him on the feet and win a decision, or He can rock him and sink in a submission. I wouldn't be surprised if Cummins does a lot better than most of you think though, his size and grit is a huge advantage.

Back