Ryan Hall - An Open Letter to the Martial Arts Community

Where did the 97% come from?

97% which is you, me, everyone on this forum and virtually everyone but Lloyd Irvin and his buddies who are the top 3% who look down on us 97%, i.e., they make all the money, we're stupid because we don't do things the way Lloyd Irvin does, etc.

took the time and really read thru it. im going to print this out and keep it in my binder/journal for reference. this insight really is inspiring and everybody regardless of sport or not should take the time to read it..

Read this, then sit in the dark for some serious introspection. It's the most powerful call to personal action that I've read in a while.

This, to me, is what a black belt is supposed to sound like.

Kennan to 50/50, that's the right move. Plus, he would have Marcelo as a mentor too!

I prefer, "BJJ Bitchass," vs 97%'er......

Everyone should bring a copy of this to their gym and let their teams read it.

Standing ovation for Ryan Hall.

I agreed with everything Ryan wrote about life principles and life philosophies.

If it wasn't obvious because Ryan didn't name "names"...he said Lloyd Irvin is a jerk and Team Lloyd Irvin is set up like a cult.

I have a lot of the same thoughts that ryan does. it is everyone's responsibility to actively stick up for what is right and to fight what is wrong, whether if affects you or not.

You can obviously tell that Ryan was being controlled/mild in what he was saying about lloyd (without naming him by name). I would bet every dollar i have that lloyd is a much larger piece of shit than we think. i am sure this gang rape and SOE marketing coverup is just one of the many shady things lloyd does. Keenan probably really is raking Lloyd's yard.
Any person who calls another person master has serious fucking issues.
any person who wants to be called master is someone to avoid and should probably be shot to make the world better.
I wish Ryan would just come out and explicitly state all the bullshit lloyd pulled on him. people need to see EXACTLY what kind of scumbag lloyd is, not just so hazy image and half guesses.
If you are going to have a mentor who is a bjj coach, then you want someone like Ryan.

Lloyd is doing nothing but damaging BJJ for his own profit and ego. Look at the laundry list of gym owners who are attending Lloyd seminars. He is the AIDS of the bjj community. All you have to do is listen to the words coming out of his mouth to understand this.

I think BJJ has an abnormally high number of coaches that are good guys. There is no need for people like lloyd to be involved at all. Like a sick dog he should crawl under the porch and just die.

and when the fuck are people going to adopt the term "Lloydway"? i fucking coined that shit like the franklin mint.

Extremely powerful letter, but it's sad that things so basic and obvious -- integrity, fallibility, and decency -- come across as a revelation in the martial arts world.

What I really liked about the letter was how detailed it was about how Ryan grew as a man. Having two boys of my own, I think a lot about what they are going to have to go through to grow up.

I feel somewhat bad about not being more vocal about these things. TBH, I've always kind of looked down on martial arts because of its cult-like aspects, always thought of myself as a combat sports fan instead, like that was different.

Wow. That was intensely powerful and moving. Made me think a lot about my own life and my own personal journey. Its been ages since I have read something that has given me this level of introspection.

Thank you Ryan- our community needs this.

The title of the article should be called The True Black Belt Psychology.

Great read, and I respect that he was willing to come out and write this.

Back