Ryan Hall - An Open Letter to the Martial Arts Community

Jagcorps_esq

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I felt that this deserved its own page, so that it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle:

Ryan Hall posted the following on Bloody Elbow here: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/1...-to-the-martial-arts-community-from-ryan-hall

You can read his FULL ARTICLE here: http://livingthemartialarts.com/

His Bloody Elbow Introduction reads:

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living, and the get rich quick theory of life." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Hello everyone.

Over the past week, certain revelations have come to light about awful, subhuman behavior on the part of a number of members of our community, some of whom I know personally.

The worst of this is certainly the work of some truly reprehensible individuals who seem to think that they have the right to destroy the dignity and innocence of others in the pathetic service of their own desires. Some of them will hopefully bear the full brunt of the justice system’s penalty for the atrocities they have committed. Others may not be liable to judgment at the hands of the courts, but should in no way be excused for their own disgusting acts both past and recent.

Somewhat less grievous, but still staggering in its absurd level of insensitivity, cultish wagon circling, and revolting lack of perspective has been the response of certain individuals who feel the need to blindly defend the actions of those with whom they are associated. I cannot say for certain if this is born out of some sort of woefully misguided sense of loyalty or if it is simply the basest act of self-preservation, aimed at protecting a reputation built on the connection to someone discovered to be wholly disreputable. Regardless, I would think that the vast majority of people should agree that their behavior is beyond repulsive not only its dismissiveness of the suffering of the victims involved in this debacle, but also in their staunch refusal to exercise the analytical portion of their brains and reason for themselves in anything other than a completely self-serving manner.

Making matters worse, some who would consider themselves "good" people are remaining silent, either unable or unwilling to put integrity over solidarity and financial interest. They have looked on passively as their associates have scrambled to cover their tracks, to duck and dodge inquiry into matters so grave that they demand a response. Disappointing. Many will hide behind the "I wasn’t there, it’s not my place to say anything" defense. This is a completely unacceptable stance given the information in evidence. Their reluctance to act speaks volumes about either their weak character or their already being under some level of mental control.

It has been correctly noted over the course of history that all that is necessary for evil to thrive is the indifference or inaction of otherwise decent people. Are we really willing to accept this truth and still remain seated?

As someone who has occupied a number of roles and stations in the martial arts community since I first became involved with it, I believe that I may be able to shed some light on why things are progressing as they are, as well as provide a cautionary tale for others who I hope will be able to avoid the pitfalls that I often plunged face-first into due to my na

Last edited:
Please read the entire article. Much respect to Ryan for stepping up and putting this article out.

I was already a Ryan Hall fan, but he just shot up 1000 pts for me. Good on him.

I'm halfway through, and even though I was asked not to comment until the end...just wow. Every single person in BJJ should read this.

I only read the forward so far, but the part about policing itself and not wanting to be a part of that community if not... very nice. When I'm not driving I'll read the rest.

This is an incredible letter.

I'm not sure you guys can appreciate how much courage, guts, and character it takes to write something like that. I'm not even sure I can appreciate it. When you are that close to a cult like that, it's scary to go up against it.

This is exactly what was needed. Wow. I have so much respect for Ryan Hall.

Ryan Hall: Proud to be a member of the 97%.

Brilliant dig there.

Very well written and it really gives an insight into things that we've just been guessing at, based on the way people are reacting.

I really think that letter from Hall is the beginning of the end for TLI. It is like a single well placed shot that sinks an entire ship. It also has the benefit of being well written and comes off as very sincere. Also the fact that everyone seems to like and respect him makes it all the more effective.

This is an incredible letter.

I'm not sure you guys can appreciate how much courage, guts, and character it takes to write something like that. I'm not even sure I can appreciate it. When you are that close to a cult like that, it's scary to go up against it.

This is exactly what was needed. Wow. I have so much respect for Ryan Hall.
Ryan Hall has written the greatest statement of intelligent advice on topics such as integrity, personal development and succeeding in life that the BJJ community as a collective whole has yet managed to produce.

It probably is one of the best in all of martial arts.

And I once again commend Beta Academy, James Valentine, the Callos/Cornelius family and many, many others for having the courage to speak out, step away and strike their own course.

"Our heroes...frequently peddle a product. In many cases, this product is touted as a magic elixir that will, for only a small fee (sometimes recurring…sometimes without our knowledge)"

BAM!

On a serious note, this is an incredible read. I feel like a broken record whenever I tell someone what an awesome guy Ryan is, but he really is the best our art has to offer (on several levels).

yes!!! well written, and what you would expect to hear from a true leader...

Wow, what a well written letter. It really seems like he grew as a person during his BJJ career. I can't help notice that he was alluding to his experience and time on TLI. As much people want to bash TMAs, MMA and BJJ schools seem to have that cult following. Bravo, Ryan Hall.

one could easily remove the term "manipulator" and put in "sociopath" in this letter and it would fit surprisingly well.

Astounding letter, wonderful read, and I'm glad he took the time, and had the good sense to say what needed to be said.

Amazing letter.

Is there any doubt now that Team Lloyd Irvin acts as a cult - at least for its medal chasers?

Amazing letter.

Is there any doubt now that Team Lloyd Irvin acts as a cult - at least for its medal chasers?

The whole thing is a cult. The medal chasers is just the top level of the cult.

That's what people have been missing all along. It's a cult.

Back