Russian HW prospect: Arslanbek Makhmudov

There's almost no chance he goes from fighting nobodies, to fighting fringe contenders/gatekeepers to the top guys. His people are probably realistic about his age and are content to let him beat on taxi drivers and the like.

I'd love to be wrong but that's just how it looks to me.
We had this same talk with Wilder, who is our favorite one-trick pony. If Wilder is capable of going from fighting nobodies to being a world (champion) contender, I don't see why a better more solidly built and technically sound power puncher couldn't do the same. And let's be realistic, it's not the best HW division. It's not the worst but most of our top draws are here for aesthetic purposes and placeholders. Arslan has an Ivan Drago appeal which is kind of relevant to our current global situation.

TBH I don't really see what's so dangerous about Pulev.

Last edited:
We had this same talk with Wilder, who is our favorite one-trick pony. If Wilder is capable of going from fighting nobodies to being a world (champion) contender, I don't see why a better more solidly built and technically sound power puncher couldn't do the same. And let's be realistic, it's not the best HW division. It's not the worst but most of our top draws are here for aesthetic purposes and placeholders. Arslan has an Ivan Drago appeal which is kind of relevant to our current global situation.

All i'm saying is some teams, not necessarily the boxer himself, but the team surrounding him, would rather milk the KO's against nobodies than risk stepping up and then suddenly he's struggling.

I'm not saying this is how it is with Arslanbek, but that's how it can be some times. Tank has all the power in the world and yet he/his team won't fight the top guys at LW. That's why until they step up you can't get too giddy.

I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure though.

All i'm saying is some teams, not necessarily the boxer himself, but the team surrounding him, would rather milk the KO's against nobodies than risk stepping up and then suddenly he's struggling.

I'm not saying this is how it is with Arslanbek, but that's how it can be some times. Tank has all the power in the world and yet he/his team won't fight the top guys at LW. That's why until they step up you can't get too giddy.

I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure though.
again, I don't know what they'd be thinking. They are hyping him up as a monstrous destroyer though. All I'm saying is don't use an air raid siren as your entry music if you aren't going to walk the walk. There's ambition there at least.

He looked promising up until tonight. His combination of size & power are a threat to anyone but he clearly needs a lot of work. At least now we know where he's at.

33 & prospect with no big names or wins tells you he is not as invincible as his stats and highlights make it seem. There is a reason why he is being brought along this slow.
Interesting contender if he actually fights anybody relevant. Lots to choose from.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Him and Hrgovic will be problems for the top of the division in a couple years
Neither one looked impressive their last fights. But hey maybe by time they're in their 40s they will finally reach their potential

Wilder won a belt at 29.

He's already 33. I feel like if he was ever going to be something, he'd already be in the mix.

From the heavyweights younger than Joshua, the highest ranked on BoxRec are:
  1. Parker (New Zealand)
  2. Bakole (DR Congo)
  3. Sanchez (Cuba)
  4. Wallin (Sweden)
  5. Hrgovic (Croatia)
  6. Yoka (France)
  7. Demirezen (Turkiye)
  8. Dubois (UK)
  9. Gassiev (Russia)
  10. Hughie (UK)

He didn't look good, but considering that he had never went that many rounds, was missing tons of punches, and was throwing hard shots, his gas tank didn't seem on empty at the end.

Wilder won a belt at 29.
which is why he needs to step on the gas. Sure he didn't KO Takam but it was a convincing win.

TBH this entire era of HW boxing seems to be about building big names who can brawl and putting them in decent fights than building anything close to an atg or well rounded fighters.

For some reason he struggled to land flush tonight
and everyone will tell you its because he’s no good or overhyped, implying no heavyweight prospect has ever faced a tough challenge early on. this is exactly why this fight was made, to learn from it.

every heavyweight champ in the modern era has had a fight like this early on, hell klitschko was stopped multiple times on his way to the top. hopefully the learning process goes well for him.

and everyone will tell you its because he’s no good or overhyped, implying no heavyweight prospect has ever faced a tough challenge early on. this is exactly why this fight was made, to learn from it.

every heavyweight champ in the modern era has had a fight like this early on, hell klitschko was stopped multiple times on his way to the top. hopefully the learning process goes well for him.

He didn't look too good but neither did Joshua. Takam is a tricky guy and pretty tough. I haven't found a full copy of the fight yet though just a 5 min highlight.

From what I saw he did look a bit off. The footwork wasn't there. He landed clean but Takam resisted. I don't think this is enough to rule him out yet.

He didn't look too good but neither did Joshua. Takam is a tricky guy and pretty tough. I haven't found a full copy of the fight yet though just a 5 min highlight.

From what I saw he did look a bit off. The footwork wasn't there. He landed clean but Takam resisted. I don't think this is enough to rule him out yet.
takam is notorious for making fighters look vulnerable. dude is always a tough out. i wouldnt dive too deep into this performance. we’ll see what happens in the future

Back