Russian article delves into Khamzat Chimaev's loyalty to Kadyrov, alledges ties to ISIS

He sounds like a strange guy. He went to become a refugee in Sweden but it wasn't that long ago. If his family fought against Russia they would have probably moved in 2000 not 10 years later. Maybe they weren't real refugees but did it for benefits you get in Sweden. Also in few recent interviews he said that Russia was his home country, doesn't sound like he has some kind of beef with Putin or whatever.
If he was part of some sort of separatist Chechen movement it would make no sense for him to call Russia his home.
I'm interested what is the source of that refugee story. In Russian interview that I've read there is nothing like that.
And from what people post here -- his whole family (Khamzat + mom + brothers) went as a refugees to Sweden but his father lived in Chechnya back in 2019.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware Kadyrov has done a great job of stamping out jihadism from Chechnya

This sounds like bullshit
He's not a fan of ISIS in any case, most Chechens really aren't.

Looking at thread, seems some people misread something in this interview -- this Chechen guy is surprised that Chimaev the ISIS fan now turned into Chimaev the Kadyrov fan.
And for those who say that you should choose between Kadyrov and ISIS/terrorists, look at Khabib. Khabib -- takes money from Kadyrov, meets with Putin and Dagestani government and also -- shake hands with Sagid Murtazaliev who wanted by Russian government for financing terrorism, posted on social media in support of some arrested imam (imam was arrested for something terorism related or hate speech and Khabib was like nah, I know him he is good), his relative Magomedrasul Khasbulaev can't get American visa because of connections to terrorists (according to ex-Bellator matchmaker), from what I've seen on social media another relative of Khabib, older brother of mma fighter Shamil Zavurov was shot and killed in shootout with anti-terrorist forces (and from what I've seen Zavurov too can't get American visa for the same reason as Khasbulaev).
Also, I remember reading that ISIS was putting parts of Khabib's fights into their propaganda videos and did Khabib ever said something about this? Like, he doesn't like this and he hate ISIS?

Looking at thread, seems some people misread something in this interview -- this Chechen guy is surprised that Chimaev the ISIS fan now turned into Chimaev the Kadyrov fan.
And for those who say that you should choose between Kadyrov and ISIS/terrorists, look at Khabib. Khabib -- takes money from Kadyrov, meets with Putin and Dagestani government and also -- shake hands with Sagid Murtazaliev who wanted by Russian government for financing terrorism, posted on social media in support of some arrested imam (imam was arrested for something terorism related or hate speech and Khabib was like nah, I know him he is good), his relative Magomedrasul Khasbulaev can't get American visa because of connections to terrorists (according to ex-Bellator matchmaker), from what I've seen on social media another relative of Khabib, older brother of mma fighter Shamil Zavurov was shot and killed in shootout with anti-terrorist forces (and from what I've seen Zavurov too can't get American visa for the same reason as Khasbulaev).
Also, I remember reading that ISIS was putting parts of Khabib's fights into their propaganda videos and did Khabib ever said something about this? Like, he doesn't like this and he hate ISIS?

dagis are a bit different from chechens

dagis are a bit different from chechens
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aslan_Byutukayev
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhmed_Chatayev
Also, I've seen video on Russian TV how Chechens/Kadyrov meet ISIS brides (that's the name?)/families (wives of ISIS members with children, some of these children was born on ISIS controlled territories). Maybe there is less Chechens in ISIS than Tunisians but I believe a few hundreds if not thousand of Chechens was in ISIS.
Also this ISIS guy is Chechen from Georgia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Omar_al-Shishani

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aslan_Byutukayev
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhmed_Chatayev
Also, I've seen video on Russian TV how Chechens/Kadyrov meet ISIS brides (that's the name?)/families (wives of ISIS members with children, some of these children was born on ISIS controlled territories). Maybe there is less Chechens in ISIS than Tunisians but I believe a few hundreds if not thousand of Chechens was in ISIS.
Also this ISIS guy is Chechen from Georgia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Omar_al-Shishani

I was mainly talking about khabib but yeah who knows

My experience is chechens dont like arabs or isis, dagis do like them though, atleast more than chechens.

Overall kavkaz gonna kavkaz lol so i dont get involved in their stuff

Excuse me. Most Dagestanis do not "like ISIS", there is a hard core religious minority that is susceptible to their messages, but that's it. They draw from Sunnis, especially in areas with unemployment and social problems + seemingly overbearing gov.

Chechens have become ultra nationalistic in recent decades (and always have been to some extent), that is whole seperate can of worms.During wars they had some rebels who embraced world wide Islamic movements, others were more Chechnya-centric and less religious.

As for arrested Imam, Russian/local gov is at the very least often guilty of abuses of power and violations of human rights. There is serious tension between those and the more Wahhabi types in Dagestan.

pretty much none of the chechens coming to europe are real refugees nowadays. grozny looks like las vegas
Grozny may have been rebuilt, but political repression in Chechnya is real.

There is a lot of discontent from those who are not "tight" with the Kadyrov regime.

There are even refugees coming from Dagestan to say the US today (not many, we don't get privileged status like some), and repression in Dagestan is way less bad than Chechnya.

His father, Akhmad, essentially betrayed the previous government by allying with the Russians which began the second Chechen war.

Well, the war began over the minor issue of Chechen forces invading Dagestan.

Grozny may have been rebuilt, but political repression in Chechnya is real.

There is a lot of discontent from those who are not "tight" with the Kadyrov regime.

There are even refugees coming from Dagestan to say the US today (not many, we don't get privileged status like some), and repression in Dagestan is way less bad than Chechnya.

Oh yeah political kind is real.

I was mainly talking about khabib but yeah who knows

My experience is chechens dont like arabs or isis, dagis do like them though, atleast more than chechens.

Overall kavkaz gonna kavkaz lol so i dont get involved in their stuff
I thought with your words that Dagestanis are different from Chechens you meant that Chechens are not that much into international terrorism and stuff.
Like, I think I've seen in Wikipedia that in ISIS there are 5000 people which are citizens of Russia, to my understanding most of them are Dagestanis and Chechens + some other North Caucasus minoritites, Tatars, Bashkirs and people of Central Asian descent.
And from what I understand, secular opposition that want Chechenya to become independent country where law rules and stuff are non-existent in Russia (they relocated to Europe/North America) so local opposition are people who wants Sharia, caliphate and stuff. And like 8 out of 10 of this groups in recent years pledged allegiance to ISIS and turned into North Caucasus ISIS chapters.

I thought with your words that Dagestanis are different from Chechens you meant that Chechens are not that much into international terrorism and stuff.
Like, I think I've seen in Wikipedia that in ISIS there are 5000 people which are citizens of Russia, to my understanding most of them are Dagestanis and Chechens + some other North Caucasus minoritites, Tatars, Bashkirs and people of Central Asian descent.
And from what I understand, secular opposition that want Chechenya to become independent country where law rules and stuff are non-existent in Russia (they relocated to Europe/North America) so local opposition are people who wants Sharia, caliphate and stuff. And like 8 out of 10 of this groups in recent years pledged allegiance to ISIS and turned into North Caucasus ISIS chapters.

Im just speaking from my experience which was that chechens dont really like isis and that dagis are "more" into it

Buuuut thats just my experience with dealing with them.

In the end kavkaz gonna kavkaz

Maybe some will find it interesting -- I've seen guy posted on Russian mma forum of website valetudo.ru that his younger brother actually knows father of Chimaev. He wrote that Chimaev's dad doesn't lives in Sweden because he doesn't like living in Sweden and can't force himself to spend more than a month there but still travels multiple times a year to see his family.

Back