Running Shoes

mschatz

Hamma: I has it
Reaction score
Run on grass. I know I know.

Unfortunately, the time most convienent for me to run is in the morning before work, and I dont have time to drive to the track or a park. In short, it means Ill be running on asphalt for the time being. Can anyone recommend a good pair of running shoes that offers the most cushion to minimize the amount of pounding my knees and ankles will be taking?

asics gt 2130's arguably the best running shos on the market...
7769-512348-d.jpg

ASICS America - GT-2130

Ugh. Like this hasn't been asked before?

Ok, so I was one of the one that asked before:icon_chee and the answer was: go to a specialty store where they fit you for a shoe. Do not worry about the brand or the look of the shoe. The important part is how it fits and that it is right for your foot.

Don;t go to foot locker or one of those stores, go to a running shop. The shoes will cost ~$100-120.

To add to this. Your running shoe should be determined by your foot type (high, medium or low arch) and your running style. Last time I got fitted I stepped on a pad that measured how my foot contacted the ground (i.e. roll to the right or left) and also ran on a treadmill. After that I was recommended a few different pairs and tried them each out.

I agree with the above (get fitted at a running store). But once you find your model, you may want to look at Eastbay or something for buying them.

I am all for supporting the local stores, but when the price difference is $190 for Asics Gel Kayno 14s (in my local store) compared to $135 on Eastbay, I can't justify the extra $ even with a fitting and grerat sales guy. Just my $.02.

Yeah, most running shoes under the $80 range aren't going to do your feet/shins/knees justice. I would say the best brands for running shoes are Asics, Brooks, New Balance, and occasionally Nike but Nike tend to run narrow so if you have wide feet like me they won't often do so well.

Like said above, go to a running shop, especially if you have a nifty one nearby that does Gait analysis so you can find out the level of support you need. That is really a huge consideration to make when choosing shoes. I'd also recommend buying quality insoles (superfeet) which will last you several pairs of shoes and will improve the quality of the shoe overall since most shoes come with shit, thin-ass insoles.

the Nike Free 5.0

It mimics running barefoot and strengthens your feet in the process. Some of those crazy fuckers that run the ultra-marathons swear by them.

Yeah christ I have Asic GT2120's and they're pretty much the shit, love them

Yeah, most running shoes under the $80 range aren't going to do your feet/shins/knees justice. I would say the best brands for running shoes are Asics, Brooks, New Balance, and occasionally Nike but Nike tend to run narrow so if you have wide feet like me they won't often do so well.

Like said above, go to a running shop, especially if you have a nifty one nearby that does Gait analysis so you can find out the level of support you need. That is really a huge consideration to make when choosing shoes. I'd also recommend buying quality insoles (superfeet) which will last you several pairs of shoes and will improve the quality of the shoe overall since most shoes come with shit, thin-ass insoles.

Yeah I would have to agree about the insoles.

I bought some proper ones not long ago

Unfotunately I need to cut them to size and haven't done so yet :icon_cry2

I *heart* nike frees but the backs almost always end up tearing out. Not that it affected the wear one bit. I really, really wish they would re-issue them.

I'm on my second pair of air max 180's and I can't say enough good things about them. I was putting about 30 miles/week on my old ones and they didn't explode until i wore them out to the farm one day and stepped on a nail like a dip shit.

new balance has gone way, way, way downhill.

asics are always good too.

like everyone said, go to a running store and find out what you like. then get on ebay. ebay FTW.

I started running regularly for the first time in January and was getting shin splints like crazy. I went to my local running shop last month and they did the watched me walk and run and all that jazz. I wound up getting Nike Structure 11s and Superfeet insoles. I hadn't worn Nikes in probably 10 years, and had never worn insoles before. They feel real good, though.

the Nike Free 5.0

It mimics running barefoot and strengthens your feet in the process. Some of those crazy fuckers that run the ultra-marathons swear by them.

those sneakers suck. i bought two pairs and they both ripped within 1 month of roadwork. while they were good and comfortable to run in. the back just rips all the time. its like a defect. i tried even sewing them back and it still ripped again

I live on a golf course and I'm going to start running regularly this summer. I've jogged and walked on the course barefoot, but because I'm out there at dusk it's easy to step on sprinkler heads, tees, etc.

So would I be better off picking up a trail running shoe, or would regular running shoes be adequate?

Back