running a 6 minute mile

rEdShawks

Brown Belt
Reaction score
3 parts to this thread

1. how many of you can run 1 6 minute mile?
2. Do you think anyone who trains hard enough can, or you need some natural ability
3. Are there any good books or programs out there that teach you how to run a 6 minute mile or faster

6 minute mile = 10 mph . .. i ran at 10mp for 5minutes then gave up

6 minute mile = 10 mph . .. i ran at 10mp for 5minutes then gave up

Quitter, 1 minute to go and you ditched? With that attitude you'll never reach your goal.

Run. Run faster, and run even faster. It's not next to impossible to hit a 6 minute mile. You just have to keep trying. Make sure you have a good aerobic base and work on interval training afterwards.

No shit. I thought you were a conditioning freak, and you quit with a minute to go on a 1 mile run?

Seriously, I used to run the 3-mile in just over 18 minutes at a bodyweight of about 215.

No shit. I thought you were a conditioning freak, and you quit with a minute to go on a 1 mile run?

Seriously, I used to run the 3-mile in just over 18 minutes at a bodyweight of about 215.

i had a stomach stitch, and it was hurting for a couple minutes, and im like screw it, i know i can do it, i aint gona hurt myself over it. Ive run around 6 minute miles, just never timed myself exactly. For instance id run 5 miles in a little over 32 mins

i had a stomach stitch, and it was hurting for a couple minutes, and im like screw it, i know i can do it, i aint gona hurt myself over it. Ive run around 6 minute miles, just never timed myself exactly. For instance id run 5 miles in a little over 32 mins

Can you even hurt yourself with a stomach stich?

thats a honest question because i always was under the impression it was just a cramp.

Within reason of course i realize if you had a cramp for hours yeah it would matter, but a minute more of pain? im sure ive worked threw longer then one minute with a cramp.

I think anyone can run a 6 minute mile with the proper training, diet, etc. I knew a kid who was running like a 5:15 mile in 8th grade

i ran close to a 6 min mile before with a little training. if i could do it. anyone can.

After about 4 weeks (a little less I think, I started training january 2nd and was tested january 28th or something) I ran under timed conditions by the army a 8 min 49 1.5 mile, which is very slightly under a 6 min mile.

In that time I trained I put on 4 pounds :redface: (I was weighing in at 13 st 6).

But it all went to pot 3 weeks later when I did it again at 9 min 42

I could definitely run 1 mile in under 6 mins but I wouldn't be able to maintain that pace over a long distance. I used to be able to run 6 min miles over 10k races (well just about) but I've not been running properly for a while.

I've run mid to low 16's in the 5k.

Running a 6 minute mile once isn't too bad.

You can train for that.

The best way to train for it is to run 800 meter sprints.

This will develop your speed and running "strength."

If you don't have a track, you can practice by running as fast as possible for 2 minutes, take a break, do it again.

Do it 5 times.

Holy shit, good to see you back around Poly, even though I don't post much here because Standard's got it on lock.

The man in my Av said that to a Boxing Promoter he was trying to extort. The dude said no, and Frankie's response was that line exactly.

I just posted in the Mental Conditioning thread, I think you'll like.

I don't think that I have ever ran a timed mile slower than 6 minutes.

Most people (people who actually work out) can build up to running for 40 minutes straight 4 times per week. At the end of each workout, run 4 100 meter or 20 second sprints, preferably on grass. Once every two weeks go to a track an run a mile fast.

If you don't run a 6:00 mile the first time, stick with it for a couple of months. You will get it.

Can you even hurt yourself with a stomach stich?

thats a honest question because i always was under the impression it was just a cramp.

Within reason of course i realize if you had a cramp for hours yeah it would matter, but a minute more of pain? im sure ive worked threw longer then one minute with a cramp.

it was hurting since the 2 minute,then by minute 5 i said fuck it

I don't think that I have ever ran a timed mile slower than 6 minutes.

Most people (people who actually work out) can build up to running for 40 minutes straight 4 times per week. At the end of each workout, run 4 100 meter or 20 second sprints, preferably on grass. Once every two weeks go to a track an run a mile fast.

If you don't run a 6:00 mile the first time, stick with it for a couple of months. You will get it.

so u were born with being able to run a 6 minute mile, one day u just ran and happened to get under 6 minutes, plus im guessing u dont run long distances

My best mile is about 5:00, but that was almost a year ago. I ran a 5:30-something without too much effort a few months ago.

Running, outside of sprints, interval training, and recovery runs isn't much of a priority for me, so I don't test or train this often. I'm sure if I dedicated myself to it for 3 weeks to month, I'd be running 5:00 miles again, easily. It's SO much easier to improve in areas like this than in strength, power, sprint speed, and general GPP, IMO.

I'm horrible at the mile, I'd rather do sprints for 10 minutes.

Even as a kid in great shape I could never crack a 7 minute mile and doing that killed me

Must try this some time, need to find a track to do it on though, hmmm. If I can do a 21 minute 5km though, I think I'll be able to up my pace enough over 1/3 of that distance to do it in 6 easily enough.

In high school as a 5'11 kid who weighed 140 pounds who was chronically injured, I managed 18 minute 5ks and a 4:50 mile time.

I have no doubt that with 6 months of training my completely out of shape ass that I could blow those prs away.

Back