running a 6 minute mile

I usually run a 6min mile on grass track, so no idea how much faster it would be on a decent surface.

My advice for decreasing your mile time is to work on intervals of different lengths. I use the following two to get my times down (and to make my cardio hurt like hell):

3min fast run/1min rest x 6
1min fast run/1min rest x 10

These are maximum effort runs, so you should be feeling the pain in the early reps and not leaving something in reserve for the later reps. If you're not crawling home near the end then you need to be moving faster.

Stick with something similar to these (and the occasional longer run) for a while and you'll be in a good position to improve your times.

When I was in the Soccer team in HS I was able to run a mile in 6:36. Theres was about 20 to 25 guys that finish a ahead of me and about another 20 behind. We only had about a week of training when I did it but I never tried it again. Right I can probably do it in about 8 or 9 mins. So I guess if I train really hard again I can most likely do it around 6 mins.

6 minutes is nothing to anyone who runs/does conditioning training regularly....

imo natural ability probably kicks in at the 4:30-5 mile...with hard work even low 5 minutes are not out of the question...

6 minutes is nothing to anyone who runs/does conditioning training regularly....

imo natural ability probably kicks in at the 4:30-5 mile...with hard work even low 5 minutes are not out of the question...

really? u have any sources or articles about that (i belive ya, just would like to know more)
p.s. i like your belt

I ran a 5:36 in high school and did not run track or workout or even play high school sports for that matter, but I was active. Maybe it's in my genes though... my little sister is 12 (and did I mention a girl) and she runs a 6:18 and this is her first year of track. I have been using ross's training programs for about 8 months now; it would be interesting to see what I could run one in now.

I remember reading a quote i think from Ross that goes something like, "Even if there is some genetic ceiling or wall, I plan on busting right through that and creating a window of opportunity." Anyways, you can do it. But yea keep at it it will get better.

I ran a 5:36 in high school and did not run track or workout or even play high school sports for that matter, but I was active. Maybe it's in my genes though... my little sister is 12 (and did I mention a girl) and she runs a 6:18 and this is her first year of track. I have been using ross's training programs for about 8 months now; it would be interesting to see what I could run one in now.

I remember reading a quote i think from Ross that goes something like, "Even if there is some genetic ceiling or wall, I plan on busting right through that and creating a window of opportunity." Anyways, you can do it. But yea keep at it it will get better.

pretty impressive, u do probally have good genes

Running 5:36 in High School without training is highly unlikely...

Running 5:36 in High School without training is highly unlikely...

Unlikely but possible...

I knew kids who could replicate that and they didn't train, they were just in good shape and were good at running

I hit 5:09 in preseason basketball training.

When u get down to a minute to go, I have a great mental trick that gets u through.

Recite the alphabet in your head, and after each letter think of a name or a place.

The time u get halfway through u will be finished and it takes your mind off the pain.

I am a half marathon runner, so i usually dont try to go for all out speed. I think speed is something u can train for but not everyone is gonna be able to hit sub 6 minute miles.

in school we have to run 1.5 miles and perfect is 9:00 min my best time was 10:00 but i dont do ne training best times in my class were 8:30-9:00 but are teacher can do it in 6:20 now thats fast

When u get down to a minute to go, I have a great mental trick that gets u through.

Recite the alphabet in your head, and after each letter think of a name or a place.

The time u get halfway through u will be finished and it takes your mind off the pain.

I am a half marathon runner, so i usually dont try to go for all out speed. I think speed is something u can train for but not everyone is gonna be able to hit sub 6 minute miles.

thats a good trick, i sometimes try and do some regular multiplication in my head like 45 x 12 takes me a little while to figure it out in my head while running, and keeps me distracted

in school we have to run 1.5 miles and perfect is 9:00 min my best time was 10:00 but i dont do ne training best times in my class were 8:30-9:00 but are teacher can do it in 6:20 now thats fast

thats near olympic time , almost 4 min a mile wow

really didnt no it was that fast he is a freak tho, hes prolly like 30 white male no more then 5'9 and he can dunk when i saw this in class i was like wtf

really didnt no it was that fast he is a freak tho, hes prolly like 30 white male no more then 5'9 and he can dunk when i saw this in class i was like wtf

he sounds like a mix between superman and flash
or for sherdoggers fedor and chuck norris

What's his name?

Back