Rugby player training MMA/Strongman style.

scrum half then your a small boy dead lift would be great for you. you want to train mma, know yourself 1st and train to your stregnth,meaning what your good at and so forth, like anything rugby or not if you have a good plat form you can do well no plat form no form at all.my 2 cents

I love to deadlift. But what is a small boy daedlift?

What level did you play rugby at? Haha I just started playing for a third tier team here in the states...

Academy level. Which is under 20's provincial represenatative.

I play at the uni level here in Texas at Sam Houston State University as a tighthead prop. I'm not great, decent at best but I love the game and life is a great ruck for me.

As long as you bind tight in the scrums, hit the rucks hard and from the last set of feet and protect your scrumhalf when he is distributing the ball, your doing well!

As long as you bind tight in the scrums, hit the rucks hard and from the last set of feet and protect your scrumhalf when he is distributing the ball, your doing well!

I know that was English, but I understood none of it.

I love to deadlift. But what is a small boy daedlift?

Academy level. Which is under 20's provincial represenatative.

sorry I meant your one the smaller guys in the team then, dead lifts would be good for you. Hows the rugby going now you still playing.

Blair,

I play flanker here in the States for a college team, and have grappled competitively with a lot of success. The major difference in lifting pans that has helped me has been the issue of muscle mass. It's great for me in rugby to be about 210pounds or just under 100 kilos at 5'11"-6'0" tall. I'm about exactly 182 centimeters.
In fighting you're going to have weight classes and you might worry about keeping mass that's more appropriate to your frame. In any case, rarely will another fighter be trying to run away or through you, so that big momentum bonus from running with WEIGHT isn't there. You want to be as strong and as light as possible. 5x5 is great for development, but afterwards you might want to switch to a lower rep scheme and train for outright explosive strength. When I grapple while not playing rugby, the strength I lose when going from 210pounds to 189 is almost negligible, but there's a big difference between fighting in the 190 and under class and fighting in the 205+ class. BIG difference.
Bodybuilding isn't evil, and can be wildly beneficial, especially when you want some injury-preventing, shock-absorbing, hit-delivering, mean momentum muscle. What you want for MMA (IN MY OPINION AND OWN EXPERIENCE) is explosive strength. I personally feel the anaerobic, all-out with a short rest style conditioning of rugby translates very well to grappling and MMA.

Also, I'll be traveling to New Zealand in November and staying for three to six months while working socially with collective organic farms. In America (especially where I live) the local club teams are set up in a way that you can walk up to a practice and talk with them, get to know the guys, and train with them for a while. Maybe they won't start you, maybe they won't play you at all, maybe they would like dues before you start practicing, but they'll almost always let you train with them. Is it like this in New Zealand? Or, how best could I go about training as much rugby as possible while I'm there? I'm 22, if it matters.

Good luck!
Nick

Blair,

I play flanker here in the States for a college team, and have grappled competitively with a lot of success. The major difference in lifting pans that has helped me has been the issue of muscle mass. It's great for me in rugby to be about 210pounds or just under 100 kilos at 5'11"-6'0" tall. I'm about exactly 182 centimeters.
In fighting you're going to have weight classes and you might worry about keeping mass that's more appropriate to your frame. In any case, rarely will another fighter be trying to run away or through you, so that big momentum bonus from running with WEIGHT isn't there. You want to be as strong and as light as possible. 5x5 is great for development, but afterwards you might want to switch to a lower rep scheme and train for outright explosive strength. When I grapple while not playing rugby, the strength I lose when going from 210pounds to 189 is almost negligible, but there's a big difference between fighting in the 190 and under class and fighting in the 205+ class. BIG difference.
Bodybuilding isn't evil, and can be wildly beneficial, especially when you want some injury-preventing, shock-absorbing, hit-delivering, mean momentum muscle. What you want for MMA (IN MY OPINION AND OWN EXPERIENCE) is explosive strength. I personally feel the anaerobic, all-out with a short rest style conditioning of rugby translates very well to grappling and MMA.

Also, I'll be traveling to New Zealand in November and staying for three to six months while working socially with collective organic farms. In America (especially where I live) the local club teams are set up in a way that you can walk up to a practice and talk with them, get to know the guys, and train with them for a while. Maybe they won't start you, maybe they won't play you at all, maybe they would like dues before you start practicing, but they'll almost always let you train with them. Is it like this in New Zealand? Or, how best could I go about training as much rugby as possible while I'm there? I'm 22, if it matters.

Good luck!
Nick

By november the rugby season in new zealand would be finished, pre-season training doesnt start till february. all clubs welcome overseas players to come and train all you have to do is register,easy to do. you will definitely see the difference in the pace of the game here in NZ is way faster than in the U.S but you will enjoy it and meet some characters.

Do any of the club maintain semi-formal or informal practices (or sevens practices) during the summer? I'll will definitely be there through February, and hope to be there through May.

Do any of the club maintain semi-formal or informal practices (or sevens practices) during the summer? I'll will definitely be there through February, and hope to be there through May.

Seven's practise often begins just before or just after Christmas. Seven's is good with regards to the explosive strength carry over from MMA and the fitness of those guys is even better than in the typical fifteens game of rugby. If you stay longer, and a lot of people who come for a short period do in the end, you shoud definitely try to get into the club scene. Club training is very serious and benefitial to MMA I believe.

With regards to teh explosive lifts Nick, what rep range is recommended? 3-5? 2-3?

sorry I meant your one the smaller guys in the team then, dead lifts would be good for you. Hows the rugby going now you still playing.

Well I love to deadlift and the squat is satisfying no matter way you look at it.

I'm not playing anymore. Just trying to maintain size and build strength. Trying to raise my pound for pound strength ratio if that makes sense?

There are many many people here who can explain this better than I can.... but, as far as I know, the purpose of training for power is to maximize its output, and to do that you can't train your muscles through too much fatigue, because you're not using as much explosiveness when you get slow.

So 1-6, usually on the lower end with heavy weight, and make sure you don't get too slow. If you're doing fieldwork for power like sprints, do them at the beginning of a session when you're fresh and rest fully before another one to be ash fresh as possible for it.

That's what I understand. Someone can bitchslap me if they want.

So I'm into week 4 of the Bill Starr routine. I figure as I’m relatively new to strength training I'd go at it for 8 weeks then test my one rep max on the squat, bench and deadlift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to test my standards.

What I was thinking was doing the Rippetoe/Starting Strength routine that I see bandied about the boards as it makes the most sense e.g. no one ever says anything bad about it.

Would you guys;

1. Recommend taking a week off between testing my 1RM
2. Continuing the Starr routine if I’m still making gains
3. Another routine entirely after 8 weeks e.g. WS4SB…even though I’m not “skinny”

Back