Rugby player training MMA/Strongman style.

Read the FAQ again!

Cheers. I think I'll go with the Bill Starr 5x5 program.

It's good because you squat three times a weeks! A shame you only deadlift once a week, but you take the good with the bad.

A shame you only deadlift once a week, but you take the good with the bad.

There's nothing wrong with modifying it somewhat, but I don't see how you could deadlift more than once a week anyway, unless you're doing fairy weights.

Where'd you play rugby? You sound way more organized than we were. Or were you doing that on your own?

There's nothing wrong with modifying it somewhat, but I don't see how you could deadlift more than once a week anyway, unless you're doing fairy weights.

I just like the deadlift, its my favorite lift.

As to fairy weights, I'll leave that to you.

Where'd you play rugby? You sound way more organized than we were. Or were you doing that on your own?

Played rugby in New Zealan. For the North Harbor Academy.

I just like the deadlift, its my favorite lift.

As to fairy weights, I'll leave that to you.

Played rugby in New Zealan. For the North Harbor Academy.

what??? new zealand?? are you maori ?? I'm not, don't be fooled by the name, it tells you where im from anyway below my name lol.

Just if your maori, train train train, god damm you and your natural athleticism

* goes in corner crunched up rocking back and fourth damming genetics.

Did you plan on doing all those exercises every day 3 days a week?

Your list looks ok, but you can also break down further. Such as going heavy on Monday with bench and light on the squats then going heavy with the squats on friday and light with bench.

what??? new zealand?? are you maori ?? I'm not, don't be fooled by the name, it tells you where im from anyway below my name lol.

Just if your maori, train train train, god damm you and your natural athleticism

* goes in corner crunched up rocking back and fourth damming genetics.

Well define Maori.

I don't consider myself Maori in the slightest but I do have a bit of Maori heritage.

Did you plan on doing all those exercises every day 3 days a week?

Your list looks ok, but you can also break down further. Such as going heavy on Monday with bench and light on the squats then going heavy with the squats on friday and light with bench.

Thanks for the input, but I've decided to go simple wuith teh Bill Starr routine to begin my first cycle.

So it'll be;

Monday -

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Assistance exercises

Tuesday -

Squat 4x5
Deadlift 4x5
SOHP 4x5
Assistance Exercises

Friday -

Squat 3x5, 1x3, 1x8
Bench 3x5, 1x3, 1x8
Barbell Row 3x5, 1x3, 1x8
Assistance Exercises

Well define Maori.

I don't consider myself Maori in the slightest but I do have a bit of Maori heritage.

maori as in polynesian. then if you don't consider yourself maori, then your not. but I don't care your from new zealand, so your officially bad ass. If only the rest of the world's rugby nations would wise up n train like you lot do.

The reason NZ has such strong showings on the international rugby scene is the dedication they put into their club level teams. I've never seen another country with so many well organized local club level teams.

To Blair, make sure you do get enough protein on the program. I know you said you don't want to take protein supplements but you will need to be more conscious about the protein intake from foods. You will find the 5x5 program more taxing than you think if you are honest with yourself on the amount of weight you are pushing.

The reason NZ has such strong showings on the international rugby scene is the dedication they put into their club level teams. I've never seen another country with so many well organized local club level teams.

To Blair, make sure you do get enough protein on the program. I know you said you don't want to take protein supplements but you will need to be more conscious about the protein intake from foods. You will find the 5x5 program more taxing than you think if you are honest with yourself on the amount of weight you are pushing.

Thanks for the advice. My protein intake is still relatively high as a matter of habit from my rugby days. I do have protein breakfast, lunch and dinner and try to snack on a protein between meals, though this isn't always achievable.

As to protein supplements, it is not a matter of not wanting to take them, it is a matter of having a mortgage and that being a priority.

I understand the mortgage thing believe me. Sometimes you can get a good deal on protein supplements mail order. Don't know how that works in NZ since shipping might be an issue unless there is someone local.

I don't really get into the supplement thing other than what you said you already take, which I do the same. One of the best things you can do is either download or buy a book that has the nutritional guides that will help you get the most bang for your buck.

I had a problem with my body breaking down and needing a rest every 4 to 6 weeks because I'd just be too run down and wasn't recovering at a normal rate. I found it to be a result of too little protein in my diet. Now I buy steaks, chicken breast and tuna fish in bulk.

Good luck with the 5x5 program. I think you will be happy with it. Just follow it like they say, if you are still in shape from rugby you will probably think it not too taxing at first.

What would be the prescribed reps for weighted hypers and situps? They are listed as assistance exercises in the 5x5 workout and I'm either an idiot or a fool (or both) and cannot find them in the FAQ or using the search function.

surely they will not be the typical 15-20 reps?

Blair where'd you play position wise? Take advantage of all that wonderful grass fed beef you have available. Believe it or not MetRX was developed for a whey protien that was shipped in from NZ, might be something to that. Another thing that'll work is taking the average body building set/rep scheme and reversing like 8x3 instead of 3x8 or 6x4 in place of 4x6. Enjoy training and let us know if you get enough time to start playing again.

Kia Ora,
Chunk

Blair where'd you play position wise? Take advantage of all that wonderful grass fed beef you have available. Believe it or not MetRX was developed for a whey protien that was shipped in from NZ, might be something to that. Another thing that'll work is taking the average body building set/rep scheme and reversing like 8x3 instead of 3x8 or 6x4 in place of 4x6. Enjoy training and let us know if you get enough time to start playing again.

Kia Ora,
Chunk

At the end of my serious/academy competitive days I was halfback/scrum half. during my school boy days I was flyhalf or inside centre.

Once you reach a certain playing level, everyone seems to get big, stronger, that much faster. I am 5'10" and 90 kilo's (though slightly off peak condition ha ha!) and was/am no longer big enough.

I look into the beef thing. I do love prime mince though. Relatively cheap and versatile.

Were do you play Shsu?

What level did you play rugby at? Haha I just started playing for a third tier team here in the states...

I play at the uni level here in Texas at Sam Houston State University as a tighthead prop. I'm not great, decent at best but I love the game and life is a great ruck for me.

At the end of my serious/academy competitive days I was halfback/scrum half. during my school boy days I was flyhalf or inside centre.

Once you reach a certain playing level, everyone seems to get big, stronger, that much faster. I am 5'10" and 90 kilo's (though slightly off peak condition ha ha!) and was/am no longer big enough.

I look into the beef thing. I do love prime mince though. Relatively cheap and versatile.

Were do you play Shsu?

scrum half then your a small boy dead lift would be great for you. you want to train mma, know yourself 1st and train to your stregnth,meaning what your good at and so forth, like anything rugby or not if you have a good plat form you can do well no plat form no form at all.my 2 cents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back