Media Rousimar Palhares teaches Jason "Mayhem" Miller there's levels to these things...

So paul didn't try to rip shields arm off?
He also hung on the fence, gouged Jake's eyes, and hurt him with elbows. With all that it took him 12 minutes to sub Jake while Jake took him down and passed his guard repeatedly.

If your takeaway from that is that Palhares would tap Shields quickly more often than not, you have cognitive problems. They are similarly skilled grapplers.

There was a Sherdog version of this video, I remember Mayhem doing good in that one
There was one where Rousimar heel hooked Miller in less than a minute. It must have been earlier in the practice because Miller wasn't as gassed as he was in this clip. If anything Mayhem looked worse in that roll.

That makes about as much sense as any other reason belcher was able to do to him what he did lol

seriously though, paul must have had an off night or something.
I remember Belcher saying he extensively trained leg lock defence with some really high level guys. Pretty sure he said that guys get caught because they freak out when tangling their legs with palhares. You can see belcher stayed calm and composed on the ground and didnt shy away from it. After a couple of failed attempts Palhares wilted. Great fight.

Palhares was terrifying. If he wouldn't let go of a sub in a sanctioned fight, imagine what he'd do in a street fight?

I think if there is anything that it benefits it would be grappling, the matches arent as long or exausting. As far as I know guys dont usually gas out in bjj during their matches. I know wrestlers don't. But if its worth it, probably not because once you get that big im guessing you are losing flexibility.
MMA grappling is significantly more tiring than just rolling on a mat in BJJ practice. And wrestlers don't gas because they train cardio. What happens when a striker is forced to wrestle? They gas out much faster than a wrestler forced to strike, no?

And grappling matches are frequently longer than MMA bouts. Isn't a 20 minute time limit (no rounds/breaks) pretty typical? Compared to a 3 round MMA fight, which is only 15 minutes, with 2 breaks between rounds.

I mean I don't really care what Paul Harris does or doesn't do, I'm just curious if that added bulk really works against him instead of for him

MMA grappling is significantly more tiring than just rolling on a mat in BJJ practice. And wrestlers don't gas because they train cardio. What happens when a striker is forced to wrestle? They gas out much faster than a wrestler forced to strike, no?

And grappling matches are frequently longer than MMA bouts. Isn't a 20 minute time limit (no rounds/breaks) pretty typical? Compared to a 3 round MMA fight, which is only 15 minutes, with 2 breaks between rounds.

I mean I don't really care what Paul Harris does or doesn't do, I'm just curious if that added bulk really works against him instead of for him
I still think it benefits bjj more than it would mma or wrestling. Bjj has more rest moments and the physical strain on your muscles is the same, unlike mma where striking then grappling burns out the arms quick.

He also hung on the fence, gouged Jake's eyes, and hurt him with elbows. With all that it took him 12 minutes to sub Jake while Jake took him down and passed his guard repeatedly.

If your takeaway from that is that Palhares would tap Shields quickly more often than not, you have cognitive problems. They are similarly skilled grapplers.
Than why didn't sheilds even threaten a sub? Also why was paul able to hold sheilds down? Ill tell you why....because there are levels to these things.

If you saw Mayhem's fights with Jacare and Shields and don't think he could possibly do any better than that, I don't know what to tell you. Jacare is better than Palhares. Shields is just as good.

Well, Shields got subbed by Palhares but also accused Palhares of cheating...like biting him or something? I think Shields was doing pretty well until near the end when he got caught. While Shields beat Mayhem (not really controversial as far as I remember), Mayhem did almost catch him in a sub....Shields was saved by the bell one round.

I think what's different is Jacare and Shields are very good all-around grapplers while Palhares is very powerful and very good at a few things. He can catch guys who normally don't get caught.

Harris had the physical potential to be champ, but not the head for it.

i'm pretty sure this is the sherdog version of it.

there's another clip of mayhem at BTT rolling with milton vieira. he gets choked in that one.
The Sherdog one was a pretty long video, had some footage of Mayhem paragliding and stuff

There was one where Rousimar heel hooked Miller in less than a minute. It must have been earlier in the practice because Miller wasn't as gassed as he was in this clip. If anything Mayhem looked worse in that roll.

Nah, there was one part where he looked good. But: they where rolling/sparring so it's no indication of how a fight or bjj match would go.

Natty bless
29b27ix.gif

lol, it's amazing that someone can get that jacked. even with ped's.

Rousimar Palhares won a silver medal in ADCC. That is way ahead of Miller, and the fact Miller was grappling with him and didn't seem to know who he was despite the fact Palhares was one of the best BJJ competitors in BJJ at the time is surprising.

No wonder Miller was surprised. Well, the guy got a silver in ADCC, the grappling Olympics, so unless you are that level expect to get smashed rolling

God those two are the worst. Isn’t Miller in prison still or again?

Back