Media Rousimar Palhares teaches Jason "Mayhem" Miller there's levels to these things...

That makes about as much sense as any other reason belcher was able to do to him what he did lol

seriously though, paul must have had an off night or something.
not really, there is a guy who posts on sherdog's grappling forum who worked with belcher in his camp for palhares. he's talked about how they studied rousimar's game and knew the kind of leg entanglements he works, so they drilled escaping them extensively. as dangerous as palhares is with his leg locks, it's mostly due to his freakish strength and the fact that he cranks shit. the positioning he uses with his legs is dangerous, but it doesn't offer him the best control he could have, had he been using any modern positions.

overall though, palhares truly did have world class jiu jitsu when he burst into the scene, despite having almost no real grappling credentials. when he finally faced some of the best grapplers in the world at ADCC, he placed second, losing only to an all time great in galvao.

if palhares wasn't a fucking asshole and a PED cheat, his career would've been a lot better. he was like a grappling juggernaut. his game really was beautiful, in a frightening kind of way.

That makes about as much sense as any other reason belcher was able to do to him what he did lol

seriously though, paul must have had an off night or something.

I remember reading that Belcher really worked on leglock defense and fight plan...and Belcher did have a strong grappling game. I think the fact Belcher was prepared and was a full-sized MW (who fought a few times at LHW and 195) had a lot to do with it...though Palhares could have been off, too. There's a big difference between 170 and 185...especially if your game is overpowering someone and catching them with a leglock. I don't think Palhares would've beaten prime version of Rockhold or Weidman either. Rockhold would GnP him worse than Belcher IMO.
Both Palhares and Lombard looked much better at WW.

I doubt that mayhem could hold his own againt paul in a grapping matching, if you watch mayhem ever really tapped and paul never really cranked on that armbar, he was going easy on him. Paul is first of all way better at bjj that mayhem but hes also gotta be a lot stronger than mayhem. I dont see him coming out on top with that roll lol
<Varys01>
Who said anything about Mayhem coming out on top? Reading comprehension, my friend.

Natty bless
29b27ix.gif

Damnn

Honest question

Does that kind of strength, after a point, actually have a purpose for a grappling-oriented fighter? I get that strength is an important factor, but grappling requires a lot of energy, and more muscle mass would require more oxygen, meaning he'd gas out faster, right? Is it really worth it to bulk up like that?

if palhares wasn't a fucking asshole and a PED cheat, his career would've been a lot better. he was like a grappling juggernaut. his game really was beautiful, in a frightening kind of way.

I agree, thought his MMA Fight IQ wasn't very high if he got in a bad spot or couldn't pull of his rather limited gameplan. It's kind of like Ronda Rousey with her judo throw/armbar combo that almost no early WMMA fighters could stop. It worked great unless it didn't. As deadly as Palhares' leglocks were, he didn't have the versatility to change plans or adapt like GOAT-level fighters do.

Honest question

Does that kind of strength, after a point, actually have a purpose for a grappling-oriented fighter? I get that strength is an important factor, but grappling requires a lot of energy, and more muscle mass would require more oxygen, meaning he'd gas out faster, right? Is it really worth it to bulk up like that?

Good question. Palhares never went more than 3 rounds. He did win a couple of 3-round decisions (Jeremy Horn and Dan Miller--two guys he could probably overpower and LnP if he got tired..but I didn't see those fights). I'm not sure if he gassed in grappling tournaments or not. Hector Lombard had a very similar build and he definitely had a problem with gassing by the 2nd or 3rd round.

Honest question

I think if there is anything that it benefits it would be grappling, the matches arent as long or exausting. As far as I know guys dont usually gas out in bjj during their matches. I know wrestlers don't. But if its worth it, probably not because once you get that big im guessing you are losing flexibility.

<Varys01>
Who said anything about Mayhem coming out on top? Reading comprehension, my friend.
You said jason could do better, I disagree. My phrase "coming out on top" meant that jason would actually succeed winning the match. Maybe you were implying he could do better but still lose. I disagree with that too. Paul was going easy on him. Satisfied?

You said jason could do better, I disagree. My phrase "coming out on top" meant that jason would actually succeed winning the match. Maybe you were implying he could do better but still lose. I disagree with that too. Paul was going easy on him. Satisfied?
Well, there is a lot of room for improvement after getting annihilated in seconds. If you saw Mayhem's fights with Jacare and Shields and don't think he could possibly do any better than that, I don't know what to tell you. Jacare is better than Palhares. Shields is just as good.

If you haven't seen those fights, you don't really have any idea what you're talking about.

Well, there is a lot of room for improvement after getting annihilated in seconds. If you saw Mayhem's fights with Jacare and Shields and don't think he could possibly do any better than that, I don't know what to tell you. Jacare is better than Palhares. Shields is just as good.

If you haven't seen those fights, you don't really have any idea what you're talking about.
Those were mma bouts, not bjj. In pure bjj sheilds falls quick too just like mayhem (even though paul beat him in mma too)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back