Round 5 Jones vs Gustafsson

Everytime I watch it I can't see how Gus lost. One of the biggest lowkey robberies ever.

Thanks for posting this, I still think Gus won the fight.

But it doesn't matter now; AJ crushed him and for all we know, he will never get that rematch with Jones.

Jon showed tons of heart in this fight.

I'm not sure what three rounds people could give to Jones. A lot of people always say 4 and 5 was clear for jones. I've always thought round 5 was gus'. The gifs are reaffirming my memory.

Now go make other 4 threads for the oyher rounds

You could be right that Rumble may have faced Gus for the title but it wouldn't take away the fact that Gus would/should have been champ at one point.

when??? i was watching gus vs shogun and shogun was winning half the fight until he got sloppy. After 2 i would have given shogun the fight but he gassed

What Gus did wrong:

1.) Did not try a single submission standing or on the ground.

2.) Acted terrified when Jones grabbed for his legs and ran instead of throwing kicks or strikes as he retreated.

3.) Got wobbled by a Jones strike even though he was supposed to be the superior striker, was just saved by the bell at the end of the round.

4.) Gus had the best fight of his career, but he only wanted to finish the fight on the feet, did not try one submission even when the chances were there.

By comparison, Jones has finished challengers from strikes standing (Shogun), strikes on the ground (Vera/Matyshenko/Sonnen), submission standing (Machida), submission on the ground (O'Brien/Belfort/Rampage) and six unanimous decisions.

Basically, you got to take that title from the Champ and you can't let it be close, or the judges will normally favor the champ.

Last edited:
And

What's the point of this thread other than GIFs from round 5...

Like what's the conclusion..
??

And

What's the point of this thread other than GIFs from round 5...

Like what's the conclusion..
??

Ive seen a lot of people claiming that Jones "dominated" round 5, which is complete bullshit as you can see. This thread is a little reminder for those people. Jones absorbed a lot of damage in that round, yet people usually mention only those (partly blocked) headkicks from Jones.

Ive seen a lot of people claiming that Jones "dominated" round 5, which is complete bullshit as you can see. This thread is a little reminder for those people. Jones absorbed a lot of damage in that round, yet people usually mention only those (partly blocked) headkicks from Jones.

Meh, get over it. Jones won the fight and now you can revel in the fact that he was stripped of his title. Honestly, what kind of person rehashes an argument that's been put to bed and at this point has NO standing in the current division?

Meh, get over it. Jones won the fight and now you can revel in the fact that he was stripped of his title. Honestly, what kind of person rehashes an argument that's been put to bed and at this point has NO standing in the current division?

I dont like reveling about Jones being stripped of his title because it had nothing to do with fighting or The Mauler mauling Jones. There are a general misconseption about that last round which I feel needs to be corrected. If you think thats not a big enough subject to talk about then thats just your opinion.

But he still outstruck and took Alex down. Hence, Round 5 was Jones'. When people say 'dominated' they mean he 'won'. Just like 'Alex destroyed Jones' means 'Alex hit Jones in the face a lot'. People use 'dominated' to describe the dc fight as well; they're just prone to hyperbole.

Last edited:
I dont like reveling about Jones being stripped of his title because it had nothing to do with fighting or The Mauler mauling Jones. There are a general misconseption about that last round which I feel needs to be corrected. If you think thats not a big enough subject to talk about then thats just your opinion.

Fair enough. I'm just in a pissy mood.

tIWGkMu.gif

How do you figure?

He would have been champ at one point at least.

tIWGkMu.gif

How do you figure?

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/2/10/5...us-like-mlb-stars-we-wont-have-to-use-ped-mma

Quotes from Anthony Johnson :

"In every sport people are using something," he told host Ricky Bones. "I mean, as long as nobody dies, nobody pulls a Chris Benoit, you know what I'm saying? I think everything is going to be fine. If it's something that can absolutely help you, I don't see what the problem is. Until that moment you go crazy on the person -- whoever it may be -- you can't absolutely blame the... I don't know. I guess it's just an iffy situation."

"If you abuse it, of course you are going to get popped for it and do stupid stuff. But if you use it the right way and you just do what you are supposed to do, then it shouldn't be a problem. But with the way the world is right now, hell you can... Everything is all messed up right now. I don't know man. I think if you can do it, do it. I don't have nothing against it. You know what I'm saying? As long as you don't kill nobody."

"I told my manager and stuff, I was like ‘Dude, I know these guys work out hard and stuff like that,' that's what we do, but I'm like, ‘Ain't no way in hell anybody is supposed to go 25 minutes in a championship fight all-out like that without gassing some type of way,'" Johnson said. "Even if you pace yourself... Those dudes be ready for another three rounds after the five rounds. You know what I'm saying? I don't know."

"They got to be taking something. You got to take something, even if it's legal or illegal. With as much training as we do, you have to take something. I mean, it doesn't have to be illegal, but you have to do something, because you just can't say ‘I'm going to to home and go to sleep' and just wake up in the morning and feel better. It doesn't work like that."

"I think so too," he said. "The one thing that he didn't say is that you got guys like A-Rod and all them. They making millions per game. We making a couple thousand. They look at us and be like, ‘Man that's pocket change for me.' Hell, I'm probably about to say something stupid but I'm about to say, either pay us like them (MLB) and then we won't have to use it, or let us use it so we can get to that level. One or the other... Let us do something."

Go eat more horse meat, Humblol Johnson. Gustafsson is the real LHW champion.

lol at Gus fans crying about eye pokes. Sure, Jon Jones is the master of it, but Gus has learned from the best and is also atleast a B-level eyepoker.

Back