Rothwell vs JDS... Let This Sink in a Minute

MDEmike

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ben Rothwell is fighting Junior Dos Santos and is favored to win. 3 years ago, Cigano would be at like -650... Such unlikely turns for both of their careers. Yeesh.

Cain really damaged JDS's career. He's been a shell of himself since those fights.

Hands up
Chin up
????
Profit long term

As well he should be. Big Ben is getting that title this year.

Funny how the MMA Landscape changes so quickly... I still will be rooting for JDS though. Either way it's a win for me because I like both guys

I love Rothwell, but I see Junior outpointing him on the feet. I don't buy into the whole Junior is done narrative. He won a close decision against Stipe and simply got caught against Reem. As long as he doesn't clinch or shoot against rothwell, he has the clear striking advantage.

This is a very winnable fight for both guys. JDS can outstrike him and if it goes to the ground Rothwell has his "cheat codes" to submit JDS. I remember Barnett actually winning the stand up before shooting for a takedown which leads me to believe JDS will most likely outstrike Rothwell unless he makes a mistake. My gut says Rothwell but my brain is telling me JDS wins this.

I still somehow believe JDS is going to win easily... I'm not sure he deteriorated that bad. If he can get outstruck by Josh Barnett (if my memory serves me well) then he can get dropped by Junior.

This is a very winnable fight for both guys. JDS can outstrike him and if it goes to the ground Rothwell has his "cheat codes" to submit JDS. I remember Barnett actually winning the stand up before shooting for a takedown which leads me to believe JDS will most likely outstrike Rothwell unless he makes a mistake. My gut says Rothwell but my brain is telling me JDS wins this.

Right. On paper you have to go against Rothwell. But, your gut is like, "Hey, Rothwell was supposed to lose his last few fights and didn't."

Big Ben was brought in the UFC as somewhat a title contender until cain derailed him. I like JDS in this fight though cuz big Ben is always standing a bit akward and his head is open for a JDS overhand

The fight that should have been made is AA/JDS. They must really not like Rothwell to give a dangerous opponent in JDS (regardless of his last couple fights) when he is on such a win streak and so close to a title shot. Seems like he doesn't have much to gain winning this fight and he could very well lose it. It's a toss up fight IMO.

I love Rothwell, but I see Junior outpointing him on the feet. I don't buy into the whole Junior is done narrative. He won a close decision against Stipe and simply got caught against Reem. As long as he doesn't clinch or shoot against rothwell, he has the clear striking advantage.

He did beat Stipe , and I think Stipe is a very good fighter. A lot of fans expected to see JDS steamroll Stipe and were thus less impressed by his win when Stipe gave him hell. That said, he didn't just get caught against Overeem. He looked bad. He looked gunshy and defensive without putting up a great defense.

Rothwell has outperformed expectations lately, but I'm surprised he's a favorite.

Rothwell is the next HW champ. Suck it Haters!

Barnett barely won the first round but he shot because the tide was turning and Rothwell was starting to tag him

He looked horrendous against Reem. It cannot be understated. He barely attacked at all.

Worst possible matchup on offer for Rothwell. Fighting a super dangerous guy on his way down the rankings, when he should have been getting a TS, or at least someone coming off a win.

Back