rotator cuffs

killer_kicks88

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
can i get some opinions on some stuff, i looked up some old topics but the answers weren't quite what i needed, so here is the question...is internal and external rotation all i need for a good rotator cuff program?...i have seen i bunch of different exercises but im just not sure what i need...thanks in advance

to be honest: I don't know. All I ever do for mine are cuban presses.

Is that all you need? Maybe...

There are many exercises and variation to exercises that might be beneficial for you to add to your prehab program, to correct an imbalance or to rehab your injury.

Like you've stated there are rotational exercises (internal / external) but you must be aware of what plane of movement you are in. There are different ones to target different issues.

Also, there are retractions, protractions, vibration training, multi-planar laterals and stretches.

Are you looking for a plan of attack for an injury or just trying to find resources for your prehab program?

In addition to internal/external rotations, do rear delt work, and lots of upper back work(including scapular retractions).

Why would you want to train your internal rotators specifically? They probably way overpower your externals anyway!

Yeah rear delt and low rows as mentioned are important.

You could get away with one external rotation movement above shoulder height like cuban press and at low level to hit the neglected teres minor. To train teres minor stand holding on to a cable stack handle with your elbow into your side, arm bent at 90 degrees, lower arm pointing away and to the front of your body, and let the weight pull your arm across your body on the eccentric. Then the concentric is just the reverse with your forearm going from across your stomach back to the straight ahead position at your side.
I also be tempted to add a specific abduction movement just for the supraspinatus like a lying 45 degree abduction. Don't go beyond 45 degree or you'll engage your delts.

And don't forget to stretch your internal rotators!

Rotator cuffs are a bitch. I hurt mine doing the most innocuous roll in BJJ. Wasn't that bad just couldnt lift any weight on it and a little less range of movement. However 3 months on its exactly the same, ive tried all the rehab on it but it hasn't made any difference.

I assume they get better eventually but fuck, how long does it take?

i noticed alot of shoulder muscles being worked when i do one arm pushups. any chance rotator cufs are being worked?

just going with general thought that it's probably best to work with coumpound movements.

yomon said:
i noticed alot of shoulder muscles being worked when i do one arm pushups. any chance rotator cufs are being worked?

just going with general thought that it's probably best to work with coumpound movements.

No and that's the problem. The shoulder can be moved through internal rotation and external rotation. And example of a compound movement that works internal rotation is the bench press, another is the pull up. As you can see these are big movements and use big muscles. The lats, the anterior delts, pecs are all internal rotators. One arm push up would be working internal rotation.

Compound movements that utilise external rotation, cleans, snatches. But how many people do these as much as bench and pull ups? The external rotators are much smaller muscles in general.

The external rotators are always going to be a weak point in most peoples training so why not work them specifically with isolation movements? They are small muscles not easily hit with bigger movements. Think of it like assistance work, and in that sense you can train more like a bodybuilder and use silly isolation movements.

it's what i do, rear delt work and internal/external rotation, that's about it for shoulder health

rotator cuffs are only famous because mark kerr mentioned his at the start of the smashing machine.

Benji Snap said:
rotator cuffs are only famous because mark kerr mentioned his at the start of the smashing machine.

Not if you have done bench press for a while. Then you'll know about rotator cuffs.

Benji Snap said:
you're joking right? this is either a joke, or the second dumbest thing ever said in this forum.

Urban dont be such a tease.. What was the dumbest?

swiftman said:
Rotator cuffs are a bitch. I hurt mine doing the most innocuous roll in BJJ. Wasn't that bad just couldnt lift any weight on it and a little less range of movement. However 3 months on its exactly the same, ive tried all the rehab on it but it hasn't made any difference.

I assume they get better eventually but fuck, how long does it take?

I injured mine too rolling in class and have been out for a month just leaving it alone. Then one day I had to move some heavy objects around the house and bang, it came back again. I was told to keep icing it even during those periods where I don't train and do basic exercises for it.

It really sucks, since I just started, and now have been out of the game for so long. I guess as you get older, you just aren't as nimble.

i'm not expert but i think its important to work out both so they are equally strong. i'm sure there are times when you need external and other times when you need internal

Back