rotator cuffs

The only other thing to add would be front delt raises with your thumbs pointed downward. This exercise would isolate the supraspinatus tendon (the most commonly torn portion of the rotator cuff).

I hurt mine 4 months ago and havent done any upper body stuff.

I have been seeing chiro for a month now and it has helped staighten my neck out but not really my shoulder

Mine really hurts when i stretch overhead...i couldnt raise my arm a month ago ---so im progressing slowly

I use the rubber band

I just stand on it and raise my arm to parellel with the shoulders and rotate it down to the chest and back up...

Other ones i did were thumb up and thumb down front and side partial raises...

submission0017 said:
I'm going to guess its something about Bicep Curls..

I'm going to guess it was the thread about who would you prefer to fight if you came across them on the street - a guy with massive traps and shoulders, a guy with massive legs, a guy with massive arms . . . etc

you don't only want to work the rotator cuffs, but also the surrounding muscles which are also often neglected or imbalanced as well. i always do a number of exercises before get to my worksets when i press.

some great suggestions
1. cuban press
2. cuban press while leaning at a 45degree angle
3. scapular retractions
4. frontal raises thumb up or pinkie up
5. lateral raises thumb up or pinkie up
6. face pulls, focusing on the scapula retraction
7. arm circles with a small/small plate. i use 2.5# and maybe 5#. side. behind. above. front. handdown.
8. hammer swing(this is done with a plate, try 25#, hold at eye level, rotate so one elbow goes down and the othe other up as you bring the plate around your head to your ear, then behind, then to the other ear, try it, you'll feel how it loads your entrie shoulder joint through various angles)

Yoga is the only 100% effective method I've ever come across but even that can't help everything. However if you can be helped, yoga will do it. For free too. A lot of top fighters use elements of Yoga, check out Phil Migliarese podcast on that topic here if you like:
http://www.clickcaster.com/podcast/view/32425

:)

there are a few really really good rotator cuff articles on t-nation.

they cover variations of inner and outer rotation, as well as topics like excercises on the scapular plane, causes of impingement, and a few weird exercises i wouldn't classify as rotation at all, though apparently they work your rotator cuff

Just to update my sentiments on the topic, when I began hitting oly lifts more heavily I got some shoulder pain despite the regular inclusion of cuban presses. DB front raises with my thumb pointing down (so palms facing out) really helped. 3x12-20.

Back