Rory to TKO Penn in the 2nd round

Yeah whats rory going to do? can he even get penn down? and if he does, what then?

the only option i see for rory is to wall and stall. its penn's biggest weakness, but to get penn against the fence will take some kind of standup technique that rory just doesn't possess or he'll have to eat about 3 dozen punches to the chin and i just don't think rory is dynamic enough to keep the wily penn against the cage for any sort of time.

rory will be forced to fight on the outside and this fight will be very reminiscent of when diego sanchez ate punch after punch trying to break the gap. In other words, rory will be tooled so bad it will probably make him switch weight classes

Well the other thing is that GSP and Fitch have both showed that they have excellent tanks. So even if Rory can hold him up against the cage can he grind it out for 3 rounds? We've never seen Rory do it so why think he can now? I like Rory a lot and think he will be great one day but motivated BJ is by far his biggest challenge.

I can see it going like Diego cept with a much earlier finish as Diego has the heart of a lion and kept pushing even though his will was broken.

People put too much hype into Rory. I think he is good and might win but to put him as a big favorite against Penn is a bit silly.

What do you think would be the outcome if Penn fought Mike Pyle and Che Mills, I mean come on.

Same with Shogun vs Alex G. If Shogun fought the same guys that Gus did he would beat all of them most likely.

Penn is far the better striker than Rory is, if that fight stays on the feat Rory is getting beat up. Penn has better BJJ as well and Penns TDD is great when fresh. He has many tools to win. Sure people think Rory will get him down and beat on him for 3 rounds which might happen but there are also a lot of ways for Penn to win.

It's silly that the general perception is that Rory will just beat him down, when Rory is the less experience, less proven fighter. People are going of what they see as his potential.

People put too much hype into Rory. I think he is good and might win but to put him as a big favorite against Penn is a bit silly.

What do you think would be the outcome if Penn fought Mike Pyle and Che Mills, I mean come on.

Same with Shogun vs Alex G. If Shogun fought the same guys that Gus did he would beat all of them most likely.

Penn is far the better striker than Rory is, if that fight stays on the feat Rory is getting beat up. Penn has better BJJ as well and Penns TDD is great when fresh. He has many tools to win. Sure people think Rory will get him down and beat on him for 3 rounds which might happen but there are also a lot of ways for Penn to win.

It's silly that the general perception is that Rory will just beat him down, when Rory is the less experience, less proven fighter. People are going of what they see as his potential.

i agree with you, but i can understand the hype around gustaffson. He has good footwork, long limbs, a good jab, great power, he scrambles well and he's young and hungry.

as far as rory, i just dont see any thing he has besides a few tools and sheer brutality. He's stiff on his feet, he relies on strength over technique, he's got poor footwork, little power on the feet b/c of lack of technique and i haven't seen much on the ground except ferocious power and control. You could say that about alot of guys who wont even crack the top ten.

If BJ doesn't completely tool rory he needs to find something else to do besides fighting imo. as a caveat though i did say these things about cain "pillowhands" before he fought big nog and he came out and showed some of the best boxing technique i've seen in the octagon. so anything is possible, regardless we get alot of questions answered saturday

Yikes here we are 8yrs later and Penn is still fighting and losing

And getting beat by the likes of siver and hall.

Back