Ronda vs Tate wins submission of the year - MMAFighting

Not a public vote based on the article. The writer picked Ronda's sub.

I clicked on the article and started reading and the way it started, I thought he was criticizing somebody else's pick, guess I should have kept reading.
I remember seeing Ronda up for an award and they were trying to get people to click on it and voter for her, must have been something else.

Meh. Ankles were crossed. Improper technique.

3x BJJ World Champion (Gi), 2007 No Gi BJJ World Champion, 2009 ADCC Worlds Bronze Medalist (-99kg division and Absolute Division), 2011 ADCC Worlds Gold Medalist and you wanna tell him how to do a submission? Proper technique is overrated, do whatever gets the tap

Nah he's right, crossing the ankle gives them an opportunity to escape unless both arms are in. Even if Vinny won every bjj tournament in the world, a mistake is a mistake.

I'd say that more just shows that WMMA isn't that talented but to each their own. I mean are we going to give Cody Mckenzie submission of the year for guillotining everybody? He's guillotined what like 11 or 12 people now? That's double what Ronda has done and they "know it's coming" and still can't stop it so submission of the year for Cody I guess then

This, Ronda wouldn't be able to get an armbar very time if she fought good competition, just like Cody doesn't get a guillotine when he fights good competition. It amazes me that people don't see this

it was definitely submission of the year. if you checked your anti-women mma bias, you could see how great it was

Yes miesha tate & everyone knew the armbar attack was coming. And miesha blocked several attempts, defending better than any RR opponent. Eventually ronda locked it in & popped miesha tates arm. But Miesha did not tap. And amazingly she pulled her arm free and got the fight back standing. Then in the last minute of the round, ronda locked it up again. Miesha refused to tap, ronda popped her arm again and rubber penciled it back & forth until the ref stepped in just as miesha tapped... "and new champion"

that was awesomely dramatic.

"i dont feel too bad about it"

I don't often give out submission of the year awards.
But when I do I make sure to suck Dana Whites ****.

I clicked on the article and started reading and the way it started, I thought he was criticizing somebody else's pick, guess I should have kept reading.
I remember seeing Ronda up for an award and they were trying to get people to click on it and voter for her, must have been something else.

I think you're thinking of the Fighter's Only awards, those are publicly voted for. She's up for fighter of the year, female fighter of the year, breakthrough fighter of the year, and submission of the year against Tate. If she wins the submission of the year one then you have a potential legit point about her popularity
http://www.themmanews.com/world-mma-awards-nominees-announced-ronda-rousey-up-for-fighter-of-the-year/

Either KZ deserved it for his twister or Mir deserved it for breaking Nogueira's arm. Thats impressive when you consider that Nog was the most feared guy off of his back in the HW division until Mir snapped his sh*t up. The transitions to hold that armbar were impressive too.

It's a good sub... broke her fuggin arm in half...
SNAP.gif

I think you're thinking of the Fighter's Only awards, those are publicly voted for. She's up for fighter of the year, female fighter of the year, breakthrough fighter of the year, and submission of the year against Tate. If she wins the submission of the year one then you have a potential legit point about her popularity
http://www.themmanews.com/world-mma-awards-nominees-announced-ronda-rousey-up-for-fighter-of-the-year/

Either way, I really think she is way more popular than people here want to admit to. I'm actually expecting UFC 157 to be an above average sell rate. Nothing spectacular but better than they have been.

That armbar was great, I don't know what the fuck you guys are smoking. Just because she is great at armbars doesn't diminish it's value.

I hear ya man. The hate for wmma around here is ridiculous. It really comes off as a bunch of dudes being trying to mask their insecure homosexuality with chauvinistic sexism.

Either KZ deserved it for his twister or Mir deserved it for breaking Nogueira's arm. Thats impressive when you consider that Nog was the most feared guy off of his back in the HW division until Mir snapped his sh*t up. The transitions to hold that armbar were impressive too.

KZ's twister and Mir breaking Minotauro's arm were both in 2011. This is 2012.

The only submission in 2012 I could see maybe beating Rousey's armbar on Tate is Charles Oliveira's calf slicer, but man, Rousey's armbar was pretty damn awesome.

It's a good sub... broke her fuggin arm in half...
SNAP.gif

I'm surprised that people aren't criticizing Tate's submission defense. I couldn't believe when it happened that she chose to turn away from the arm bar without getting her elbow down below Ronda's butt crack or turning into it.

She deserves just as much as anyone. But technically it wasn't a submission Tate never tapped out.

KZ's twister and Mir breaking Minotauro's arm were both in 2011. This is 2012.

The only submission in 2012 I could see maybe beating Rousey's armbar on Tate is Charles Oliveira's calf slicer, but man, Rousey's armbar was pretty damn awesome.

O, thought they were in 2012 lol. Then yea, Rousey's armbar maybe the best. Maia's neckcrank of Rick Story was pretty brutal though.

She deserves just as much as anyone. But technically it wasn't a submission Tate never tapped out.

Check the gif. Tate tapped.

Nah he's right, crossing the ankle gives them an opportunity to escape unless both arms are in. Even if Vinny won every bjj tournament in the world, a mistake is a mistake.

I've never really formally rolled before so thank you for the technical points. I guess I'm what you'd call a "submission before position" kind of guy. Understandably that can lead to guys escaping, but if you worry about the positioning too much you might miss your chance to get the tap especially in high speed fights. If that armbar hadn't been a finishing move then yeah for sure worry about not crossing your ankles, it would lead to better control and keep you winning in the judges eyes. It can be a hard balance to achieve overly perfect technique and simply getting the finish however it's available. I haven't formally rolled (I've done some jiu jitsu though), but I wrestled for a couple years and definitely know the mistakes that can happen from trying to get the finish quickly, as well as worrying too much about the little positional details. Fundamentals are definitely key though

OK, I am Rousey fan. But Ronda didn't do anything she doesn't do in all her other fights. Miesha Tate made this submission of the year. Rousey had her armbarred in the first minute and had Tate's elbow dislocated already and she fought her way out. Anyone else would have tapped right there. At this point, I was impressed how tough Miesha was, and the fight wasn't over yet. The armbar the finished the fight was absolutely sick. Rousey really twisted that arm, but ONLY because Miesha refused to tap. Anyone else would have tapped.

I will say again, I am a Rousey fan. I will say emphatically that Miesha Tate made this submission of the year. That chick is tough.

I thought she tapped out to the arm bar late in the round. Can't remember for sure, but either way, even if you don't tap and the ref stops it, its still a technical submission.

Those were both last year and Mir did win submission of the year almost universally for it

Tate tapped. The ref didn't stop it until she tapped.

Back