Crime Ronaldo facing over $1 billion lawsuit over Cryptocurrency Losses

Call me crazy, but I think there should be accountability and responsibility for promoting a fraud to millions of people, resulting in billions of dollars being defrauded from hard working everyday people.

The party of personal responsibility - "there should be no responsibility for promoting fraud"
The party of "I don't give a fuck about celebrities or their political opinions" - "Actually celebrities are pretty cool when they promote fraud"
The party of the working class - "Actually it's a good thing when millions of every day people are scammed out of their savings"

Try thinking more than one step ahead here.

Tell me, how could Rinaldo have known what was going on behind the scenes? What if a celebrity was paid to do a commercial for Theranos or Enron? How could they have possibly known what was going on behind closed doors?

Literally impossible, yet you want people sued because you're emotional about it and can't think logically past step one. We're talking logic here and you're hung up on partisanship.

I think the plaintiffs have a point. Major celebs, like Ronaldo, confer legitimacy for a business venture.

Suppose you invest in a venture that makes some widget based on data from the manufacturer, and later it turns out the data was fraudulent; shouldn't the Manufacturer be held accountable?

People who shill for a scam or a questionable investment should face some responsibility.

Tell me, how could Rinaldo have known what was going on behind the scenes? What if a celebrity was paid to do a commercial for Theranos or Enron? How could they have possibly known what was going on behind closed doors?

Literally impossible, yet you want people sued because you're emotional about it and can't think logically past step one. We're talking logic here and you're hung up on partisanship.
I never made any declarative statements about what the appropriate level of punishment should be for the bad conduct in question. Only that there should be punishment, responsibility, and accountability.

I'm not hung up on partisanship at all. I have a position here, based on my personal values, and not based on taking the opposite stance from the other side. I've simply offered an analysis of the rank hypocrisy I see over this issue. That's all.

If you want me to talk about how I actually feel over this specific case (which is the most boring thing to talk about here honestly, I'd rather have a broader conversation about the more important stuff related to this issue) I'll offer this -
Should Ronaldo be liable for one billion clams over his endorsement of FTX? No
Does Ronaldo have any chance of losing this case? No
Will this case be dismissed and not even make it to the court room? Pretty good chance of that, yes.
Should Ronaldo face some sort of consequences for promoting fraud, in the name of accountability and taking responsibility? Yes.

I hope that settles you down a bit.

It would be more than appropriate for him to face some slap on the wrist fine, an amount that he would scoff at, and make a public statement apologizing. Maybe $50,000 on the small end, and a 5 minute press conference where he acknowledges he was careless with his seal of approval and people got hurt as a result. Is a press conference a bit dramatic? Ok fine. Do a fuckin' tweet apologizing and pay the fine. I'm hardly going to shed a tear for someone worth a half billion paying a negligible fine and posting a tweet. On the high end of the fine, maybe you hit him for a million dollars, along with the other big name celebrity endorsers, and you put that money into a fund that gets some money back to the victims. Obviously it would only ever be a drop in the bucket compared to what was stolen.

I am sick and fucking tired of the "grift economy" that has absolutely been exploding out of control in the States. It is the culmination of a deeply entrenched moral hazard that has been gaining momentum in this country for decades. It is seeping into all walks of life. Politicians grifting the fuck out of their voters and fleecing them for hundreds of millions of dollars in merch, or schemes to take political donations and divert them towards your legal defense. Content creators grifting the fuck out of their viewers and subscribers, often who are just naive children using their parents credit cards. Video game developers scamming their players with false advertising, unfinished products, and psychologically manipulative micro transactions. Fitness coaches and dieticians, selling e books and courses for thousands about how to get fit and be healthy using the latest bro-science science-free trends that will leave their adherents physically worse off. "Alpha male" "sigma male" misogyny peddling dickheads selling men's insecurity about women back to them for thousands of dollars with private discord groups, courses, e books, and more. Cryptocurrency and NFTs - entire techno-financial ecosystems that are almost exclusively used to commit fraud, scams, and separate people from their money. Corporations, wealthy people and small business owners taking out billions of dollars in PPP loans that they knowingly did not need, then having their massive multi-million dollar loans forgiven and immediately turning around to lecture the American people about how the 30 year old accountant making $56,000/year doesn't deserve to have his $40,000 in student loans forgiven.

The grift economy in America is insane, its out of control, and has exponentially exploded in recent years. It presents a very serious moral and material hazard to the entire country (and to the other wealthy western countries where this stuff is picking up in prominence and frequency). I support any type of action, whether intended or unintended, that reigns in and cracks down on the grift/scam/fraud economy. That is why you are not going to see me crying and rushing to Ronaldo's defense, even though as I stated, I personally don't think he should be liable to pay one billion dollars in damages for his bad endorsement. Cheers.

People underestimate the power of advertisement. You bear some responsibility when you do it.

I never made any declarative statements about what the appropriate level of punishment should be for the bad conduct in question. Only that there should be punishment, responsibility, and accountability.

I'm not hung up on partisanship at all. I have a position here, based on my personal values, and not based on taking the opposite stance from the other side. I've simply offered an analysis of the rank hypocrisy I see over this issue. That's all.

If you want me to talk about how I actually feel over this specific case (which is the most boring thing to talk about here honestly, I'd rather have a broader conversation about the more important stuff related to this issue) I'll offer this -
Should Ronaldo be liable for one billion clams over his endorsement of FTX? No
Does Ronaldo have any chance of losing this case? No
Will this case be dismissed and not even make it to the court room? Pretty good chance of that, yes.
Should Ronaldo face some sort of consequences for promoting fraud, in the name of accountability and taking responsibility? Yes.

I hope that settles you down a bit.

It would be more than appropriate for him to face some slap on the wrist fine, an amount that he would scoff at, and make a public statement apologizing. Maybe $50,000 on the small end, and a 5 minute press conference where he acknowledges he was careless with his seal of approval and people got hurt as a result. Is a press conference a bit dramatic? Ok fine. Do a fuckin' tweet apologizing and pay the fine. I'm hardly going to shed a tear for someone worth a half billion paying a negligible fine and posting a tweet. On the high end of the fine, maybe you hit him for a million dollars, along with the other big name celebrity endorsers, and you put that money into a fund that gets some money back to the victims. Obviously it would only ever be a drop in the bucket compared to what was stolen.

I am sick and fucking tired of the "grift economy" that has absolutely been exploding out of control in the States. It is the culmination of a deeply entrenched moral hazard that has been gaining momentum in this country for decades. It is seeping into all walks of life. Politicians grifting the fuck out of their voters and fleecing them for hundreds of millions of dollars in merch, or schemes to take political donations and divert them towards your legal defense. Content creators grifting the fuck out of their viewers and subscribers, often who are just naive children using their parents credit cards. Video game developers scamming their players with false advertising, unfinished products, and psychologically manipulative micro transactions. Fitness coaches and dieticians, selling e books and courses for thousands about how to get fit and be healthy using the latest bro-science science-free trends that will leave their adherents physically worse off. "Alpha male" "sigma male" misogyny peddling dickheads selling men's insecurity about women back to them for thousands of dollars with private discord groups, courses, e books, and more. Cryptocurrency and NFTs - entire techno-financial ecosystems that are almost exclusively used to commit fraud, scams, and separate people from their money. Corporations, wealthy people and small business owners taking out billions of dollars in PPP loans that they knowingly did not need, then having their massive multi-million dollar loans forgiven and immediately turning around to lecture the American people about how the 30 year old accountant making $56,000/year doesn't deserve to have his $40,000 in student loans forgiven.

The grift economy in America is insane, its out of control, and has exponentially exploded in recent years. It presents a very serious moral and material hazard to the entire country (and to the other wealthy western countries where this stuff is picking up in prominence and frequency). I support any type of action, whether intended or unintended, that reigns in and cracks down on the grift/scam/fraud economy. That is why you are not going to see me crying and rushing to Ronaldo's defense, even though as I stated, I personally don't think he should be liable to pay one billion dollars in damages for his bad endorsement. Cheers.

I agree with some of what you said there and disagree with other aspects.

I certainly don't agree with fining him $50,000 for being their spokesman. If you're going to fine someone a lot of money, surely you need a good explanation for why. You say he promoted fraud but I think in order to be held accountable for promoting fraud, you need to actually know you're promoting fraud. I don't think Rinaldo knew he was promoting fraud at all. If he did, then I'm on board with punishment but there's no way Binance was like "psstt, hey Christian this is what is really going on here".

My coworker's 60 something year old mom was caught up in a "lover overseas" scam where she sent scammers tens of thousands of dollars. These scammers used other elderly people in the US to complete the scam by having the money sent to them first and then on to the scammers or some deal where it was laundered through them. Effectively tricking the poor elderly couple into unintentionally taking part in fraud.

Under your rules that make zero sense, this elderly couple would be punished for their part in the crime because there needs to be "accountability". I prefer to hold the actual fraudsters accountable, not the unwilling participants who had no idea what was really going on.

Like I said, it would be virtually impossible for a spokesperson to know if a large company is scamming people and therefore, they shouldn't be held accountable. The people inside the company that did the scamming should be the ones held accountable. Not the people that were blind to the illegal activities. You don't punish people for being unlucky. You punish them for being bad.

That seems like a rather stupid lawsuit.

"I'm a fucking idiot who wasted money on crypto, but it's all this soccer player's fault! He brainwashed me with his sexy eyes! I want my money back!"
/Thread

Seems ridiculous. They purchase the NFT which they still own, there was no guarantee by CR that it was going to go up in value. Entering extremely risky speculation investments based on zellienal bro culture is on the purchaser, not the celebrity who endorsed the product by licensing his image. Furthermore, NFT valuations have gone down 97%, which is matching CRs, so this is just risk doing what risk does.

If I bought a baseball card thinking it would increase in value, I can't sue the player on the card when it takes a bath. Can't sue toy manufacturers because my Furbie, Tickle-me-elmo or Fungo isn't worth what I paid for it.

Last edited:

I think the plaintiffs have a point. Major celebs, like Ronaldo, confer legitimacy for a business venture.
Yeah...to morons, maybe. If you're investing money on a celebrity endorsement, you deserve what you get. You may as well be arguing to cancel endorsements or advertisements altogether. Are people also supposed to believe that McDonalds is healthy, because professional athletes promote it all the time?

You leftists just love your nanny state shit.

Yeah...to morons, maybe. If you're investing money on a celebrity endorsement, you deserve what you get. You may as well be arguing to cancel endorsements or advertisements altogether. Are people also supposed to believe that McDonalds is healthy, because professional athletes promote it all the time?

People perceive products made in Japan to be better quality than those made in China. People's skepticism of a product or investment is partly allayed by where it comes from and who is promoting it.

People perceive products made in Japan to be better quality than those made in China. People's skepticism of a product or investment is partly allayed by where it comes from and who is promoting it.
And where is the illegal part? Seems to me, that you want stupid people to be protected from being stupid.

It's also not simply an endorsement. People willing bought the NFT because they took the risk. They still own the NFT, they got 100% of what they paid for. The entire market shrank at a similar rate as those NFTs did. They wouldn't complain if they hit it big. If countries want to ban celebrities from endorsing the financial sectors, that's one thing, but this lawsuit is sour grape from a bunch of bitter idiots

Misleading advertising?
Advertisements are misleading by nature. That's why a real Big Mac looks like a pile of shit when you order it, compared to what is advertised on TV. Shit, that's why they have athletes promoting that garbage, when in reality, they would never touch it. You have to think for yourself in this world.

evryone involved in this story deserves whatever happens to them. bunch of idiots, including the celebrity sports star sellout.

Misleading advertising?
I doubt a celebrity endorsement counts as financial advice or as creating a fiduciary relationship. You have to do your own due diligence. It's a stupid lawsuit.

He's not a financial adviser, he is known for kicking a football, something completely unrelated. It's not as though he is endorsing something he has expertise on, which people rely on that advice to their detriment, while secretly taking a cut under the false premise of independent financial advice. Rather, the whole thing is transparent on the face of it. You would have to be a complete moron not to see through it.

He also doesn't seem to make any claims about the NFTs other than 'next level' stuff which is ambiguous puffery. A lot of it is a rewards system where if you buy NFTs you will get signed items like footballs and shirts and/or some sort of loot box system like FIFA video game cards. So, buy digital memorabilia and get physical memorabilia as a reward. If you want to engage in market speculation for toys or NFT or signed shirts, your business, not his problem. Not exactly nefarious.

The premise that a celeb endorsement counts as vetting, is ridiculous to me and seems to be shifting the responsibility from a regulator to a celebrity. The problem isn't Ronaldo, the problem is these e-currencies and NFTs are poorly regulated.

Last edited:

That's a bit different. You don't see athletes endorsing McDonald's by saying they eat it all the time to help with their athletic performance.

Basically yes people falling for this is stupid, however people don't deserve to be ripped off just because they're stupid.

Stupid lawsuit. How is supposed to know what the company is doing behind the scenes. It would seem unreasonable for a paid spokesman to ask the company to turn over their books prior to doing a commercial. Then the paid spokesman would have to hire a team of accountants to look over the books. I doubt a movie star, singer or athlete would have the knowledge to know what they were looking at even if they were provided the books and neither would roughly 90% of the population.
I think there is likely quite a bit of context missing here. I'm not saying the suit is anything but frivolous--no idea, really--but I can see, for example, if he was warned in various ways that he was endorsing a scam and continued to do it anyway, it could be argued he bears some responsibility for what transpired. More likely, they're going after him because they company that actually wronged them has no money left to pay them anything--well, none they'll get their hands on anytime soon, that is.

Back