Rolling pins for shins

good luck buddy!

i'm personally against rolling shins, but when i watch tv or relax at home i constantly whack my shins on stuff or hit them with stuff, partly because i think i'm slightly ADHD lol but it's not bad for doing a little extra shin conditioning.

oh yeah, when you get better, never kick a walnut tree in the middle of winter. don't ask....

Alright haha im sure its a good story, thanks for the good luck! :D. Like I said ill let everyone kno how it goes

Taken from the Muay Thai book "The Art of Fighting"
by Yod Ruerngsa, Khun Kao Charuad
and James Cartmell: (It's available as a PDF file)

Most common questions are: How do I condition my shins? It hurts so much when I train. How do I make my shins harder?

First, you must realize that a conditioned shin is one with deadened nerves. The shin is already hard and will unlikely get much harder. The key is to deaden the nerves so that you wouldn't feel the pain upon impact. However, you must also realize that you should not damage the shin bone while trying to deaden the nerves. This can be done only by practicing on the Thai pads and bags. The Thai pads and bags are softer than your shin bone while hard enough to damage the nerves on the skin above your shin bone with repeated impact.

What I don't want to see any of you do is to try and take the shortcut at shin conditioning by using hard objects like wood or bottles. I was shocked to hear that some people were actually told by their trainers to take this route. If your trainer tells you to beat your shins with sticks or roll hard bottles on them, seek another Muay Thai gym.

THE ONLY CORRECT WAY OF SHIN CONDITIONING IS TRHOUGH KICKING HEAVY BAG AND THAI PADS.

Hope that helps and sorry 'bout the long post.

Like the above post says, deaden the nerves without injuring the bone. Bag and pads are the most obvious choices, but I'm sure there are other ways.

For what the fuck do you need to deaden the nerves?

When you are fighting you can't feel the pain anyway because of Adrenaline and after... come on, be a fighter not a pussy, do you want to risk permanent damage just you don't feel the pain after a fight? Use some ice that's enough.

I have one karateka at my dojo who did this and he can say he can always feel the weather: when he can't walk the weather is gonna change. and he is only a bit above 30...

But I know, people always are stupid and I know you still will do this shit...

So yeah i've been kind of wondering this too?? Why is everyone worried about shin conditioning?
I mean I kickbox on the regular but when actually sparring we always wear shin pads which is enough to cushion the blow it feels similiar to kicking a thai bag or Thai pads i suppose. I think that no matter what or how you condition your shins with after a fight they will most likely always be sore.
Not sure maybe im missing something??

So yeah i've been kind of wondering this too?? Why is everyone worried about shin conditioning?
I mean I kickbox on the regular but when actually sparring we always wear shin pads which is enough to cushion the blow it feels similiar to kicking a thai bag or Thai pads i suppose. I think that no matter what or how you condition your shins with after a fight they will most likely always be sore.
Not sure maybe im missing something??

No you aren't.
I think most people who do that shit never fought before. Someone could ask in the AtF Forum if the pros do something like that.

wow...looks like alot of people just read the thread title and posted really angrily...im not a fucking pussy and have no problem kicking a heavy bag and have for a long time. Like I went on to explain in the thread I am having major surgery and cant do anything...I thought if there was one thing I could do it would be maintain or improve shin conditioning..thanks for people who actually read the thread and gave me advice...the conflicted opinions on this lead me to forget the idea, ill condition all over again when the time comes.

Thanks again for everyone who read the post and wished me good luck with the surgery.

wow...looks like alot of people just read the thread title and posted really angrily...im not a fucking pussy and have no problem kicking a heavy bag and have for a long time. Like I went on to explain in the thread I am having major surgery and cant do anything...I thought if there was one thing I could do it would be maintain or improve shin conditioning..thanks for people who actually read the thread and gave me advice...the conflicted opinions on this lead me to forget the idea, ill condition all over again when the time comes.

Thanks again for everyone who read the post and wished me good luck with the surgery. For those of you who called me lazy or a pussy well..read next time and if you did read and still feel that way well...your an asshole.

yeah since everyone here must have been talking DIRECTLY to you and not everyone that posted about this topic right?! Get a clue douche

yeah since everyone here must have been talking DIRECTLY to you and not everyone that posted about this topic right?! Get a clue douche

Sorry just seemed like Paedde was talking to me. Since he didnt send out any names or exclude me I assumed he was refering to me the threadstarter :redface: Most have been talking to me as well dude? Anyways sorry kinda new to forum posting

I wouldnt do it mate. you wont be able to walk when your forty. Just hit the bag plenty of times. I also get a damp cloth, roll it into a ball and hit my shins with them.I do this for about 5 mins, each leg 3 times a week and it seems to work for me.

MarksChat
Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists

I wouldnt do it mate. you wont be able to walk when your forty. Just hit the bag plenty of times. I also get a damp cloth, roll it into a ball and hit my shins with them.I do this for about 5 mins, each leg 3 times a week and it seems to work for me.

MarksChat
Fighting and Training Methods for Unarmed Martial Artists

alright thanks for the input man. Anyone else do this damp cloth thing?

I posted earlier that I did this and it has worked really well for me. However I should have clarified. When you do this do it lightly. You don't have to crank on it. Just light contact. I have seen guys go flipping crazy with this and have cysts form on their shins and develop crazy shin splints. Light contact over months will do the job.

If you do it properly you will have no lasting maladies, in fact you will have fewer injuries and bruises.

The only thing you need to condition your shins is a heavy Bag, I never saw anyone in Thailand use a rolling pin except the local Baker.

Back