Rolling pins for shins

goosebumps88*

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys a quick question, do rolling pins really help along shin conditioning? ive already conditioned my shins but im getting surgery pretty soon here and kicking will be outta commision..not leg surgery either. But I saw in another thread that discussed shin conditioning that rolling pins are good..most people seemed mad and the general reply seemed to be that their is no alternative to conditioning properly on a bag..but since i wont be able to do anything for a while I thought well why dont I work on shin conditioning in order to maintain or possibly increase (?) the shin conditioning ive already had working on the bag.

So I guess my question is can you lose your shin conditioning and does a rolling pin help? any other ideas also besides actually kicking? thanks in advance

UPDATE: Hey guys I have the surgery first thing tommorow morning, ill keep you all posted. Again thanks to everyone whos given me support.

you cant lose your shin conditioning. Every time you get one of those lumps, it is a small fracture, which heals up with a thicker layer of bone over it. So as long as you get enough calcium to where you dont get osteoporosis or some fucked up bone disease, you wont lose it.

thanks bro. just once I started I could never stop :p and now I have too :( for now. Any chance you kno if the rolling pin thing helps tho? I just cant stand the idea of sitting around and not improving some aspect...

ive read that rolling pins aren't that good for you, something about yes it deadens nerves but doesnt make your bones much harder, what type of surgery are you having, can you still exercise if you cant kick bags, maybe not high intensity, more details

well..chest surgery...I have pectus excavatum which is like a dent in your chest..because your sternum petrudes inwards. I was always really athletic, mainly with soccer. Got to a really high place with it actually but ended up giving it up..I would train 5 or 6 hours a day and still had no cardio (at the moment im 17) then I started getting major heart pains because of limited room. I had the surgery in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxcS1do6JYo

Im not sure how to make it show on the page sorry

Anyways I had a real tough time with it with complications, you get ****l inserted as a brace and then when your finished growing and your frame is hard they cut you open again and take it out and it stays. Anyways i had some problems with a nerve being tapped because apparently ( and this is the explanation the doc gave me) i trained too much and my lat muscle is being poked by the ****l and the ****l is hitting a major nerve..ive had that pain and trust me is unreal lol..for about 4 months. Just kickboxed on my own ever since i rehabbed from the first surgery..just set up a heavy bag and speed bag. I dunno youd probly think after all I said im a cripple and really terrible but its not like that. Ive put in a ton of time..never got around to joining a real gym because i do get pains now and again due to the ****l and almost have to yell out..stuff that I think a trainer would freak over and have me removed for health issues..so when I go into the gym I wana be normal and anonymous..the surgery worked tho im normal atm cept the shooting nerve pain. I have a ton more cardio and up untill i started having this nerve issue was running a couple hours a day, doing bagwork for a couple and doing 100s of situps, jumping rope..ahh well guess after this i can finally join a gym and be allowed to fight (cant with the ****l still in)

I disagree that you can't lose shin conditioning. Your bones change constantly. They are always being added too and broken down.. as you get older they are more broken down than added too. It would take a long time for you to lose your conditioning, but it's certainly not perminent as our skeletal structure just like our muscles adapt to the demands imposed on them.

I would NOT roll the shins. Pointless IMO. Even if you reduced pain reception (now nerves are something that once dead, do not come back) you are not benefiting yourself. I asked a very very highly established MT fighter about rolling and he said that he is opposed to it. It does not condition your shins for impact and rolling is why legs are sometime broken in training/fights. This is similar to horse racing where injured horses are sometimes given drugs to rid them of their pain, they race well, but afterwards are lame forever.

I would find other clever ways to improve yourself after surgery. Different types of exercises... hell... even reading a well written book on fighting can benefit you. Good luck!

When I started in the martial arts many, many moons ago I used the rolling pin trick (actually coke bottle - yes back when they were heavy and glass). I did this very routinely. I have never worn shin guards and my shins are probably the toughest part of my body. I can be hurt in a lot of ways but my shins are not one of them.

That said of all of my injuries which are too numerous to count, my shins are the only part of my body that give me no cause for concern (man it sucks to get old everything starts falling apart).

As others have indicated if your shins already conditioned you will not "lose" your conditioning. Although every other aspect of conditioning will likely suffer.

Good luck the surgery. A buddy of mine had that procedure and afterwords most nerve strikes to the front of the body no longer worked against him so that might be your added bonus.

When I started in the martial arts many, many moons ago I used the rolling pin trick (actually coke bottle - yes back when they were heavy and glass). I did this very routinely. I have never worn shin guards and my shins are probably the toughest part of my body. I can be hurt in a lot of ways but my shins are not one of them.

That said of all of my injuries which are too numerous to count, my shins are the only part of my body that give me no cause for concern (man it sucks to get old everything starts falling apart).

As others have indicated if your shins already conditioned you will not "lose" your conditioning. Although every other aspect of conditioning will likely suffer.

Good luck the surgery. A buddy of mine had that procedure and afterwords most nerve strikes to the front of the body no longer worked against him so that might be your added bonus.

Thanks for the info man and sorry about your injuries. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes through this thread :)

I disagree that you can't lose shin conditioning. Your bones change constantly. They are always being added too and broken down.. as you get older they are more broken down than added too. It would take a long time for you to lose your conditioning, but it's certainly not perminent as our skeletal structure just like our muscles adapt to the demands imposed on them.

I would NOT roll the shins. Pointless IMO. Even if you reduced pain reception (now nerves are something that once dead, do not come back) you are not benefiting yourself. I asked a very very highly established MT fighter about rolling and he said that he is opposed to it. It does not condition your shins for impact and rolling is why legs are sometime broken in training/fights. This is similar to horse racing where injured horses are sometimes given drugs to rid them of their pain, they race well, but afterwards are lame forever.

I would find other clever ways to improve yourself after surgery. Different types of exercises... hell... even reading a well written book on fighting can benefit you. Good luck!

Also good advice and good idea with the book I never really thought of that. What would you recomend for jits and standup? and thanks for the good luck

I have used coke bottles on my shins and I have hit my shins with bamboo in order to condition them. If you roll your shins you will not make them thicker but it will kill the pain. If you wantot be good at MT then it is better to thicken the shin bone then to just kill the nerves.

Any way you look at it ask yourself are you trying to be a professional fighter and make a living at doing it or are you training because you like to train and do some fighting. Unless this is going to be the way you make money then why damage your body.

personally i dont use rollings pins, i just kick the bags and we check eachothers kicks in training just to get the feel of it. i've heard many times that rollings pins on your shins is bad for them but who am i to say not to mention the case you have with surgery

use boxing linement and kick the shit out of a good heavy bag. and do lots of pad work. thats all you need to do.

I have used coke bottles on my shins and I have hit my shins with bamboo in order to condition them. If you roll your shins you will not make them thicker but it will kill the pain. If you wantot be good at MT then it is better to thicken the shin bone then to just kill the nerves.

Any way you look at it ask yourself are you trying to be a professional fighter and make a living at doing it or are you training because you like to train and do some fighting. Unless this is going to be the way you make money then why damage your body.

Well I think it would be stupid at this point to bank on being a proffesional fighter..right now im just focused on healing, joining a gym (already have one lined up), training as hard as I have in the past and harder, and finally getting a chance to fight starting with amatuer. I see fighting as a priviledge so who knows how far I could take it, everything ive been through has added to the heart and discipline I always had. So if others see potential in me, i see potential in myself and I am succesful at an amatuer level I would definetly jump at an oppertunity to have a career in fighting. As slim as a chance that may be I definetly dont want to lose that oppertunity if it happends to present itself by inproper training or in this case nerve killing..so I suppose no shin rolling for me. Thanks for the advice

use boxing linement and kick the shit out of a good heavy bag. and do lots of pad work. thats all you need to do.

lol probably didnt read the thread thats alright tho..already done the kicking the shit out of good heavybag part as well

Well after reading posts you can learn quite a bit about someone and you and me (besides the surgery) are in the same boat. I am 17 and have been training for only about 8 months at a new gym. I am in love with the sport everything about it, and a book that really changed my perspective on pretty much everything was A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan. Buy it, read it, you will love it. Hope all is well with the surgery.

Well after reading posts you can learn quite a bit about someone and you and me (besides the surgery) are in the same boat. I am 17 and have been training for only about 8 months at a new gym. I am in love with the sport everything about it, and a book that really changed my perspective on pretty much everything was A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan. Buy it, read it, you will love it. Hope all is well with the surgery.

Alright thanks man! yep coming up in less then a couple of weeks, but atm like I said no exercising allowed, ugh its driving me crazy already lol, ahh well guess ill just read and hang on sherdog :icon_chee, ill pick up the book tho :)

Back