Rolling pins for shins

Well after reading posts you can learn quite a bit about someone and you and me (besides the surgery) are in the same boat. I am 17 and have been training for only about 8 months at a new gym. I am in love with the sport everything about it, and a book that really changed my perspective on pretty much everything was A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan. Buy it, read it, you will love it. Hope all is well with the surgery.

Are you aiming to compete anytime soon? what are you working on atm?

So could hitting my shins with coke bottes, not rolling, help with the conditioning? I only spar once a week.

ya i wanna compete but I really want to make sure Im as ready as I can be, and in the best shape of my life. when are you thinking about?

you cant lose your shin conditioning. Every time you get one of those lumps, it is a small fracture, which heals up with a thicker layer of bone over it. So as long as you get enough calcium to where you dont get osteoporosis or some fucked up bone disease, you wont lose it.

Got any source for that?

I disagree that you can't lose shin conditioning. Your bones change constantly. They are always being added too and broken down.. as you get older they are more broken down than added too. It would take a long time for you to lose your conditioning, but it's certainly not perminent as our skeletal structure just like our muscles adapt to the demands imposed on them.

I would NOT roll the shins. Pointless IMO. Even if you reduced pain reception (now nerves are something that once dead, do not come back) you are not benefiting yourself. I asked a very very highly established MT fighter about rolling and he said that he is opposed to it. It does not condition your shins for impact and rolling is why legs are sometime broken in training/fights. This is similar to horse racing where injured horses are sometimes given drugs to rid them of their pain, they race well, but afterwards are lame forever.

I would find other clever ways to improve yourself after surgery. Different types of exercises... hell... even reading a well written book on fighting can benefit you. Good luck!

sounds right to me

My friends brother did that when he started getting into Martial arts, and his shins are crazy hard. I've tried it and still do it occasionally, but not religiously. I'm no doctor or anything but from what I've seen it may help with just toughening the bone.

I think that everyone pretty much agrees that rolling your shins will kill the pain but not make then harder. Impacts will do both. I would recommend a bamboo stick or one of those mini bats. Just sit there and tap your shin and keep going a little harder, little harder, till you can't take it, then take a break and start again.

BTW.... it's not needed to bump your thread every few minutes because no one replied. Give it a little more time. People will still respond.

I think that everyone pretty much agrees that rolling your shins will kill the pain but not make then harder. Impacts will do both. I would recommend a bamboo stick or one of those mini bats. Just sit there and tap your shin and keep going a little harder, little harder, till you can't take it, then take a break and start again.

BTW.... it's not needed to bump your thread every few minutes because no one replied. Give it a little more time. People will still respond.

mini bat I have one of those. Sorry bout the bumping, your right I need patience...wasnt doing it to collect posts tho because I dont care what internet belt I have :icon_neut

After you use the baseball bat or bamboo you can ice your shins for quicker recovery.

After you use the baseball bat or bamboo you can ice your shins for quicker recovery.

alright i got a crocket or however u spell it stick and i think thatll do fine..how much should i wind up? how hard do i hit and for how long? should i bruise day after? keep in mind its been a month since i kickboxed and I have no problems hitting the heavy bag

I'm gonna do the stick method previously mentioned, thanks for the info.

Search function?

You don't want to condition your shin with anything that is too much harder than the bone itself, you'll end up doing permanent nerve damage.

you cant lose your shin conditioning. Every time you get one of those lumps, it is a small fracture, which heals up with a thicker layer of bone over it. So as long as you get enough calcium to where you dont get osteoporosis or some fucked up bone disease, you wont lose it.

the fuck you cant you ever had a long lay off when you come back your shins will not be at the same level

the fuck you cant you ever had a long lay off when you come back your shins will not be at the same level

alright well since your a pro whats your take? do nothing? use a rolling pin? mini baseball bat? I tried the crocket stick the other day and have some minor bruising nothing to hefty..but with someone just posting about permanent nerve damage I think itd be best if I wait for a reply from you before I do the shin hits again. If their is a way or just shin hits do you know how many days you wait before going again? how often you ice? etc.

alright i got a crocket or however u spell it stick and i think thatll do fine..how much should i wind up? how hard do i hit and for how long? should i bruise day after? keep in mind its been a month since i kickboxed and I have no problems hitting the heavy bag

This is how I used to do it. There may be other ways and may even be better ways but this worked for me. I would sit on the couch and lightly hit my shins with bamboo. I would start out light and go harder as I could take it. After I hit my shins for about 10 to 20 minutes (some days were better then others), I would put ice packs on them for 20 minutes. If my shins bruised up to the point that it was just hurting all of the time and I was not able to train (spar, kick heavy bag), then I would not hit my shins until the bruising went away. I would ice my shins for 20 minutes, then 20 minutes of no ice, then 20 more minutes of ice again. I would do this everyday until my shins healed. I did roll my shins in order to deaden the nerves but I was aware that it did not make my shins tougher. I hope this helps out

This is how I used to do it. There may be other ways and may even be better ways but this worked for me. I would sit on the couch and lightly hit my shins with bamboo. I would start out light and go harder as I could take it. After I hit my shins for about 10 to 20 minutes (some days were better then others), I would put ice packs on them for 20 minutes. If my shins bruised up to the point that it was just hurting all of the time and I was not able to train (spar, kick heavy bag), then I would not hit my shins until the bruising went away. I would ice my shins for 20 minutes, then 20 minutes of no ice, then 20 more minutes of ice again. I would do this everyday until my shins healed. I did roll my shins in order to deaden the nerves but I was aware that it did not make my shins tougher. I hope this helps out

thanks it definetly does

Is it bad to punch your own shins? Not like whaling on them, but can this be effective? It seems to me it goes along with both the need for impact thing and not hitting your shins with anything harder idea.

For the love of god.

Rolling pins are for baking.

Heavy bags, thai pads and shinpad sparring are for shin conditioning.

End of story.

good luck buddy!

i'm personally against rolling shins, but when i watch tv or relax at home i constantly whack my shins on stuff or hit them with stuff, partly because i think i'm slightly ADHD lol but it's not bad for doing a little extra shin conditioning.

oh yeah, when you get better, never kick a walnut tree in the middle of winter. don't ask....

Back