Rohskopf straight up quit there

I mentioned it in the pbp thread but I'm on the same team as Max and he wasn't really seeking this step up, he jumped on an opportunity know he's not a finished product or necessarily "ready"
It hurts for the team, but it's a win that he stepped out there. Great guy, really good fighter who wasn't in a position to show it off. He's got what it takes to work back up there.

For anyone calling Drysdale a piece of shit watch this

Rob's big on self-belief, but he also really commits emotionally hard to his fighters and students. He's been the guy pushing Max this far. Take that in when you say "OMG WHY IS HE NOT STOPPING IT"

He knows better than anyone, even Max, what Max is capable of. He cares.

Fair enough

He shouldve had a contender series fight first. He was 5-0 but his opponents records were a combined 26-14.
to my knowledge this was talked about a while ago and Max didn't think he was fully ready for that, but I"m working off third hand information.

FUck this was just horrible timing for Max.
One of our main BJJ coaches left the team for personal reasons, Rona had us shut down and not training, fuck man.

Max teaches the kids program too. Gonna be rough for him.

I think it was more than the beating he was taking. It looked like he was just dead tired during that second round. I think he was making the right call by saying he didn't want to go back out there. He would have continued to get pieced up as he just didn't have the energy to protect himself. And I agree with the others who felt the corner should take some heat. I didn't feel they had his best interest in heart, trying to force him back out.
I think they did. I think they tried to motivate him. Its his first UFC fight. They want him to have a UFC career. No fighter is the same. Some fighters might be mentally fatigued and you can spark a fire under their ass. Some can't.

If there was the energy of the crowd there, maybe he would have performed better. Use that to ride the momentum.

Or maybe he's just mentally drained and unprepared to fight because he didn't have a full camp. short notice fight. and the body followed.

Spoiler Alert....
<LikeReally5>

How about keeping the results of the fights in the fight thread?

Drysdale should have stopped the fight.
When your guy says he doesn't have it, he probably doesn't.
This is going to look bad for the sport.

FUck this was just horrible timing for Max.
One of our main BJJ coaches left the team for personal reasons, Rona had us shut down and not training, fuck man.

Max teaches the kids program too. Gonna be rough for him.
To be fair even though he was tired, his striking looked not UFC level, maybe he needs a Contender Series fight or two instead.

Yeah, I'm torn on this one. I feel bad for the kid, and maybe he knew something we didn't, but Drysdale wasn't out of line trying to get him back out there based on what we saw.
I think the wording max used influenced the corner's reaction too. If he had said "I'm fucked up, feeling off balance and badly concussed, I don't think I can go on", they may have been more receptive.

When the corner said "you can come back, you got this", and he said "no I don't, I can't, I don't have it", their minds probably went immediately to don't let him quit on himself, instead of that he might be fucked up and concerned for his safety.

Bad job of communicating on his part, imo. He sounded a little bratty in his phrasing, like he was mad he wasn't winning, and wanted to rage quit.

I do support his right to bow out if he felt he was truly done and just taking damage though.

To be fair even though he was tired, his striking looked not UFC level, maybe he needs a Contender Series fight or two instead.
he needs a few more fights, definitely.
He would have told you this 10 days ago.

Many feeling sorry for Max but to me he seemed kinda cocky/overly confident standing there before the fight. He couldn't get going with his sub game and gameplan went to splat. This fight for Max reminded me of Chase Hooper vs Bruce LeRoy.....undefeated submission artist against a veteran.

Spoiler Alert....
<LikeReally5>

How about keeping the results of the fights in the fight thread?

With all due respect, if you can’t watch it live, avoid the forums until you can.

People want to discuss specific aspects of the event that just happened. It’s super unreasonable to expect people not to start threads about events that have already occurred just because you haven’t seen it yet.

This is an MMA forum.

I think the wording max used influenced the corner's reaction too. If he had said "I'm fucked up, feeling off balance and badly concussed, I don't think I can go on", they may have been more receptive.

When the corner said "you can come back, you got this", and he said "no I don't, I can't, I don't have it", their minds probably went immediately to don't let him quit on himself, instead of that he might be fucked up and concerned for his safety.

Bad job of communicating on his part, imo. He sounded a little bratty in his phrasing, like he was mad he wasn't winning, and wanted to rage quit.

I do support his right to bow out if he felt he was truly done and just taking damage though.
Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like he kinda did quit. I feel for him and I do understand what his coach was trying to do. This is the lightweight division. Its fill of killers. This guy has to find some extra reserve if he wants to go far. Hopefully, he'll take this as a lesson to always stay in shape and stay ready. Has to prepare as a professional. Look at that justin jaynes guy. He got called within 48hrs made weight and won his fight.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more it looks like he kinda did quit. I feel for him and I do understand what his coach was trying to do. This is the lightweight division. Its fill of killers. This guy has to find some extra reserve if he wants to go far. Hopefully, he'll take this as a lesson to always stay in shape and stay ready. Has to prepare as a professional. Look at that justin jaynes guy. He got called within 48hrs made weight and won his fight.
to be fair Gyms in Vegas have been closed for a while.
I was lucky to sneak in and train with Mir in a small group through all of this, most people on the team weren't so lucky.
Max lived in the gym before quarantine and being he had no fights with smaller promotions on the table (the UFC has been the only hegimony open and he's not wasn't a UFC fighter) It would be unreasoble to say "I have to get into fight shape over these 12 weeks". That's a whole nuddah stress on your body.

I'm pretty beat up now, and I have no competitions or fights slated til maybe Feb at the earliest. I couldn't imagine getting a phonecall to be in a UFC bout 10 days from now, and I promise I've had more time to train than Max the past 3 months.

to be fair Gyms in Vegas have been closed for a while.
I was lucky to sneak in and train with Mir in a small group through all of this, most people on the team weren't so lucky.
Max lived in the gym before quarantine and being he had no fights with smaller promotions on the table (the UFC has been the only hegimony open and he's not wasn't a UFC fighter) It would be unreasoble to say "I have to get into fight shape over these 12 weeks". That's a whole nuddah stress on your body.

I'm pretty beat up now, and I have no competitions or fights slated til maybe Feb at the earliest. I couldn't imagine getting a phonecall to be in a UFC bout 10 days from now, and I promise I've had more time to train than Max the past 3 months.
I understand his position, but I understand people who are looking at it like this dude had an opportunity and he let it slipped. Both sides are understandable. I just hope going forward, it doesn't fuck with him that he gave up. Did you know if he got a deal or did he just get a fight? hopefully he got a fight contract so he can go out there and prove himself again.

I understand his position, but I understand people who are looking at it like this dude had an opportunity and he let it slipped. Both sides are understandable. I just hope going forward, it doesn't fuck with him that he gave up. Did you know if he got a deal or did he just get a fight? hopefully he got a fight contract so he can go out there and prove himself again.
I truly don't know the situation.
Whatever his decision he should take some time. I think he's used to being a big fish and feeling like a guppy was something he feared he wasn't ready for.

I remember years ago on a season of TUF. Some guy was either undefeated or maybe had one loss, good record in general. His coach put him up against the perceived worst guy on the opposing team, he started strongly, faded and maybe got finished in the 2nd round or something, definitely lost though.

After the fight, he was quite candid and he said something along the lines of "I'm used to guys just going away when I hit them. He didn't go away and I didn't know what to do anymore".

That's the vibe I got from Rohskopf last night.

i’m all for self-preservation in the fight game & if Rohskopf wasn’t in the fight anymore, then i support his decision to call it off to avoid unnecessary damage, especially so early in his career. does this mean he doesn’t have what it takes to be a professional pugilist? in the highest level promotion no less? i think that remains to be seen. this was short notice & a major step up in competition. Hubbard is at the bottom of the talent pool in the division for sure, but his experience in the ufc alone is enough to render Rohskopf’s experience & level of competition completely moot.

last night i was critical of Drysdale’s response when his fighter was trying to quit on the stool & was adamant that it was a shitty thing to do despite all of @Da Speeit ’s whinging, but i’ve since done a 180 on that. i’m glad he wasn’t able to talk Rohskopf into going out there to get pounded in the 3rd, but i do see the merits in a coach trying to push their fighters to their limits & beyond. i’d be tearing into Drysdale today if Rohskopf was getting knocked in & out of consciousness, but that wasn’t the case—his body just quit on him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back