Rogan: Shiels is a slight notch below Marcelo Garcia

kensei

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
During Jake Shields' fight with Kampmann, Joe Rogan said that Shields' jiu-jitsu was just a slight notch below the elite grapplers like Marcelo Garcia. For the people that know his jiu-jitsu skill, is Jake Shields that good in pure grappling?

IIRC he said something like it's basically impossible to submit shields unless you're on the level of Marcelo Garcia

I think Cash Bill 52 and Montanha train with Shields, they have vouched for how good he is

I'm a huge Shields fan... but based on their grappling match (I was rooting for Jake) I would say Marcelo is quite a bit above on the incredibly awesome scale. And also (grapple math, I know) based on both of their rolling sessions with Askren. Jake pretty much got the better of Askren, but Marcelo made him look like he was grappling with a kid, or a student, pretty lightly it seemed, and was just TOYING WITH HIM. An Olympic level wrestler, and NCAA legend. Just... toying with him. Shit, I'm an Askren fan too and a wrestler so that was even kind of hard to watch. Obviously taking nothing away from Shields. My idea of the ultimate grappler would be a mix of those two actually. But yeah, Marcelo is on another level kinda. Just my opinion.

I dont think he's on MG's level, but he is a top notch MMA grappler.

his interviews on the other hand, are on another level!

Interviewer: so jake, tell me about your fight...

Jake: yaididwelliamrealhappydoyoulikeveganfoodthatisallieatiwillfightGSPwhereamiagain?

Didnt marcelo destroy him at adcc and make revolutionize the way he thinks about bjj? i thought i read an interview about that....

As we all know, Jake tapped to Marcelo is that Submission X tournament vie guillotine. Maybe 1.5 years ago there was a Marcelo Garcia seminar in Northern California and guess who shows up? Yup, Jake Shields. During the seminar there was a portion on guillotines and Jake seemed to pay special attention on this part, asking Marcelo a couple questions. Jake has an excellent guillotine choke, as does Marcelo and it's nice to think that maybe Jake picked up a trick or 2 from Marcelo during the seminar.

At the end, when it came time to roll, Jake eventually got paired up with Marcelo and the whole room stopped to watch. It was a great roll with no one getting the tap though. Both were very respectful at the end and it was great to see two high level grapplers roll.

Not sure if this helps the OP at all but I thought I'd share anyways.

Didnt marcelo destroy him at adcc and make revolutionize the way he thinks about bjj? i thought i read an interview about that....

That's the only reason why Rogan brought up Marcelo Garcia in his commentating

I would say a slight notch below is a far assessment. He isn't the wizard that Marcelo is, but if Marcelo is the A+ of his weight division, Jake is a solid A. I mean, even after his close fight tonight, it is hard not to argue that he doesn't have some of the best guard passing in MMA. Even when clearly exhausted he swept, passed, mounted and took the back against a very solid grappler.

That's the only reason why Rogan brought up Marcelo Garcia in his commentating

Jake took 3rd in ADCC 2005 beating Leo Santos, Cameron Earle and Diego Sanchez, he lost to Pablo Popovitch. Santos had himself beaten GSP in the second round.

i'd say in nogi he is definitely "elite", reasonably accomplished in gi too, purple belt pan am champ in 2005 (same event nick diaz got a gold and silver at Brown and Nate diaz got a silver at Blue).

So he has a bronze at panams and a gold at purple...
And then couldn't hold mount for more than 10 seconds in his fight tonight
I am just trying to honestly see why he is getting this superior grappling nods.

So he has a bronze at panams and a gold at purple...
And then couldn't hold mount for more than 10 seconds in his fight tonight
I am just trying to honestly see why he is getting this superior grappling nods.

because of his adcc accomplisments

I'm honestly curious not flaming, and am having trouble finding much on his wiki page aside from what I posted. Even he took gold 5 years running at worlds, what would you say about his mma grappling if he couldn't (not only finish) maintain mount for more than 10 seconds? I am just trying to understand why all of a sudden (this match) we are hearing all this praise (aside from just AJJ stuff...)?

people forget that jake hasn't fought at 170 in a while. I think his last fight at 170 was in 2008 against daily. So the cut has had a definate effect on him

He barely won his last two fights at middle weight via decision. Yes, he looked like a fuxking zombie after this fight and probably had a large part to do with his gas, but I am still honestly curious. He is basically a "hometown" boy and would like to know more about his grappling accomplishments, especially being a bb under caesar Gracie!

purple belt world champion with gi

adcc third place

So that puts him a notch below the likes of Marcelo Garcia in grappling? Damn.

if you are good enough to bet third place in adcc then yes i would say you are just under the lvl of marcelo

well in mma, we know who's uses their grappling in a better way. Not a knock on Marcelo as I would still prefer to train at MG's school over Jake's.

Back