Rogan: Shiels is a slight notch below Marcelo Garcia

Exagerartion and hype. That's all that had to be said of people actually validating it lol.

I don't think shields has any business getting a title shot after one fight (felt the same about Brock) but I think if it's against gsp, he will get out grappled and raped. Picture the Matt Serra rematch. Btw match up those grappling credentials... If it's against kos, it will be a sprawl in brawl with kos actually having the power to finish it

I think this whole discussion is comparing apples to oranges. In grappling tournies, MG is much more than a notch above Jake Sheilds.In an MMA, Jake's grappling resume is much better than MG's. And how much of what MG does in ADCC translates to MMA? If Jake fought MG tomorrow under MMA rules, I'd go with Jake.

I think this whole discussion is comparing apples to oranges. In grappling tournies, MG is much more than a notch above Jake Sheilds.In an MMA, Jake's grappling resume is much better than MG's. And how much of what MG does in ADCC translates to MMA? If Jake fought MG tomorrow under MMA rules, I'd go with Jake.

/thread....?

Exactly

I'm a huge Shields fan... but based on their grappling match (I was rooting for Jake) I would say Marcelo is quite a bit above on the incredibly awesome scale. And also (grapple math, I know) based on both of their rolling sessions with Askren. Jake pretty much got the better of Askren, but Marcelo made him look like he was grappling with a kid, or a student, pretty lightly it seemed, and was just TOYING WITH HIM.

To be fair, Marcelo and Askren were actually grappling (lightly) and Shields and Askren were just doing situational grappling drills.

So he has a bronze at panams and a gold at purple...
And then couldn't hold mount for more than 10 seconds in his fight tonight
I am just trying to honestly see why he is getting this superior grappling nods.

The same could be said about Marcelo Garcia.
In his MMA fight, he had his opponent's back for the most part of round 1, and couldn't finish.
Does that mean that Marcelo Garcia's grappling is not as good as Marcelo Garcia's Grappling?

I definetly think Garcia is better than Shields, pure grappling-wise, but Shields is awesome.
Martin Kampmann is a very, very good and underrated grappler, He has great defensive wrestling and great defense. He dominated Paulo Thiago on the ground, for example.

To be fair, Marcelo and Askren were actually grappling (lightly) and Shields and Askren were just doing situational grappling drills.

that's very true. I nearly forgot but now seeing the video again he gave a pretty good accounting for himself against Marcelo.

The same could be said about Marcelo Garcia.
In his MMA fight, he had his opponent's back for the most part of round 1, and couldn't finish.
Does that mean that Marcelo Garcia's grappling is not as good as Marcelo Garcia's Grappling?

lol! Grappler Marcelo Garcia would totally beat MMA Marcelo Garcia in a grappling match.

Marcelo and Jake have a totally different style, Marcelo pulls x-guard or deep half and tries to take the back and choke or sweep and choke, Jake is more of a pass guard and hold you in side control or mount guy. Shields has great jiu-jitsu but he's still very much a wrestler, he never puts his shoulders on the mat willingly.

Last edited:
People are acting like Kampmann is some sort of scrub. Kampmann dominated and was about 10 seconds from putting Paulo Thiago to sleep before time ran out. Kampmanns a really good grappler. Even totally gassed Jake still blew through his guard.

People give Shields no chance against GSP. But did Alves, Fitch, Kos and even Dan Hardy get GSP on his back for periods? Yes they did. Is it that hard to imagine Jake putting him there at some point? I for one don't see GSP stopping Jake from passing, and from then, who knows what.

People are acting like Kampmann is some sort of scrub. Kampmann dominated and was about 10 seconds from putting Paulo Thiago to sleep before time ran out. Kampmanns a really good grappler. Even totally gassed Jake still blew through his guard.

People give Shields no chance against GSP. But did Alves, Fitch, Kos and even Dan Hardy get GSP on his back for periods? Yes they did. Is it that hard to imagine Jake putting him there at some point? I for one don't see GSP stopping Jake from passing, and from then, who knows what.

THANK YOU. Kampmann is a badass and no one is giving him enough credit for his performance. Kampmann would give GSP a run for his money too!

Shields vs. GSP is going to be interesting to see. Based on both of their styles, I have a feeling that it's going to look like total domination (a la GSP vs. Fitch) one way or the other, but there's no way to know which guy it's going to be until we see it. I think GSP has better hands but Shields looks bigger and might be a slightly better grappler than GSP. Who knows though? It's going to come down to which guy has the better gameplan. My prediction is GSP uses his wrestling for TD defense to keep it standing and outstrike Shields for a UD.

/\/\/\ Agreed. I think GSP will decision Jake by keeping it standing for the UD. I can't see GSP submitting Jake nor finishing him with strikes standing. I am sure if Jake can survive a Dan Henderson onslaught like the one he did, he won't be finished by GSP

he sub'd leo santos, something marcelo couldn't do. Santos is as legit as it gets, and beating him definitely puts shields up there. Obviously not on MG's level, but i think Jake shields is an elite grappler fo sho.

So he has a bronze at panams and a gold at purple...
And then couldn't hold mount for more than 10 seconds in his fight tonight
I am just trying to honestly see why he is getting this superior grappling nods.

I'm honestly curious not flaming, and am having trouble finding much on his wiki page aside from what I posted. Even he took gold 5 years running at worlds, what would you say about his mma grappling if he couldn't (not only finish) maintain mount for more than 10 seconds? I am just trying to understand why all of a sudden (this match) we are hearing all this praise (aside from just AJJ stuff...)?

He barely won his last two fights at middle weight via decision. Yes, he looked like a fuxking zombie after this fight and probably had a large part to do with his gas, but I am still honestly curious. He is basically a "hometown" boy and would like to know more about his grappling accomplishments, especially being a bb under caesar Gracie!

So that puts him a notch below the likes of Marcelo Garcia in grappling? Damn.

But he placed 3rd at adcc one time!

i know inwas being facitious as some people are actually trying to legitimize these statements. I seriously knew little about him aside from his unimpressive decision wins over mayhem and hendo, and then his display tonight where he couldn't hold a dominant position to save his life, and the whole AJJ thing... I thought inwas really missing something, but I just don't see it.

If he is this superior and amazing grappler, and people want to see him face gsp... Well I think there will be a rude awakening. Even though gsp was eliminated in that adcc match, which apparently placing makes you just a notch below mg, he would absolutely destroy shields in a championship match, or even three rounder.

I love Bjj, and want to see a flux of strong Bjj contenders, but if someone is uber hyped up, I want to either see it or know the background, so I can get pumped about it. So far, I feel empty handed...

If you looked at the first reply, it would've saved you a ton of typing. Rogan said it takes a high caliber grappler to submit Shields like MG (since he had previously tapped him out)

I think Shields can push GSP into the cage and work from there. Anyone else super impressed with Shields grappling clinch work. Im not talking the takedowns, but the way he keeps hold of his opponent in the clinch and doesn't let him get away or create space.

Literally forcing his opponent to stay in the clinch.

he sub'd leo santos, something marcelo couldn't do. Santos is as legit as it gets, and beating him definitely puts shields up there. Obviously not on MG's level, but i think Jake shields is an elite grappler fo sho.

ah yes, mma/grappling math!

I think Shields can push GSP into the cage and work from there. Anyone else super impressed with Shields grappling clinch work. Im not talking the takedowns, but the way he keeps hold of his opponent in the clinch and doesn't let him get away or create space.

Literally forcing his opponent to stay in the clinch.

yeah like when he got kneed straight to the forehead 2 times :icon_lol:

yeah like when he got kneed straight to the forehead 2 times :icon_lol:

Can we look at what Kampmann did in that last round though? Going into Jake's wheel house, instead of busting him up more. He must have honestly thought he was winning that fight.

If you looked at the first reply, it would've saved you a ton of typing. Rogan said it takes a high caliber grappler to submit Shields like MG (since he had previously tapped him out)
Yep. That's all he said

Back