Rocky Marciano

Which was the mantra for Rocky's downfall throughout his career yet it never happened. Whether or not a fighter of the caliber of Liston and Foreman would be the one to potentially have made it come to fruition is indeed possible, maybe even probable, but personally, I wouldn't go beyond that.

I don't believe Rocky ever fought anyone with the combination on size/talent that Foreman and Liston possessed. But it is just an opinion, so at best its a probablility.

I read a comment on a youtube vid, that Rocky was only undefeated because he had MOB connections. Is this true? Anyone know of this? or is youtube ignorant?

No, Marciano was undefeated because he didn't fight for the title until his 43rd fight, and he quit before he defended it against anybody that wasn't washed up.

Champions should be judged by # of defenses, not how many cans they beat up on the way. Also fighters should earn respect by FIGHTING, not RETIRING. There are a lot of champions far greater and more successful as champ then the rock, their only flaw is that they were fighters and had to be beat before they quit.

No, Marciano was undefeated because he didn't fight for the title until his 43rd fight, and he quit before he defended it against anybody that wasn't washed up.

Champions should be judged by # of defenses, not how many cans they beat up on the way. Also fighters should earn respect by FIGHTING, not RETIRING. There are a lot of champions far greater and more successful as champ then the rock, their only flaw is that they were fighters and had to be beat before they quit.

Aw, man, I hear ya, but

The Marciano hate is childish.

First off, the guy had ~50 fights on his ledger. That's not exactly something to scoff at.

Were Louis, Charles, Walcott etc Prime when they fought Rocky? No. But let's not pretend the heavyweight division is littered with prime greats fighting each other.

What great fighter did Lennox Lewis beat who was in their prime? Or Mike Tyson? Heck, when was the last time two all-time great heavyweights, both in their prime, even fought each other?

The Marciano hate is childish.

First off, the guy had ~50 fights on his ledger. That's not exactly something to scoff at.

Were Louis, Charles, Walcott etc Prime when they fought Rocky? No. But let's not pretend the heavyweight division is littered with prime greats fighting each other.

What great fighter did Lennox Lewis beat who was in their prime? Or Mike Tyson? Heck, when was the last time two all-time great heavyweights, both in their prime, even fought each other?

Good Post.

Nino was being talked up as possibly Rocky's next opponent when Rocky pulled the pin on his career....

No.

Archie Moore outhustled Valdez in May and got the title shot in September.
Nino would have had the shot but he blew it, and Marciano gave the number one contender the shot instead.

Simple as that.

With everything that can happen in a fight being undefeated is quite impressive.

No.

Archie Moore outhustled Valdez in May and got the title shot in September.
Nino would have had the shot but he blew it, and Marciano gave the number one contender the shot instead.

Simple as that.

i apologise. i forgot about the archie moore fight.. its just a shame he didnt prolong his career by 1-2 years.. i know about the back problems but to be honest if he had beat patterson, johansson and liston he would ve been a lot higher in peoples opinions

i apologise. i forgot about the archie moore fight.. its just a shame he didnt prolong his career by 1-2 years.. i know about the back problems but to be honest if he had beat patterson, johansson and liston he would ve been a lot higher in peoples opinions

I agree mostly.
At least, he

i think the biggest regret he had is he probably had 1 big fight left in him and all things considered i wish it had extended to floyd patterson..

Patterson was a guy that Marciano could beat, if he was on. Patterson's handspeed would be problematic, to be sure, but his chin could betray him against the ROCK. Similarly sized guys... I could see this fight going either way. Young Floyd Patterson has a great chance here, but he couldn't just stand and trade with Rocky.

Marciano may be the most least understood and under-rated heavyweight champion in history.

He would not have been a sure win for any all-time great heavyweight champ. and i really think paterson would be easier than most... in my eyes the 3 fighters he struggles most against is ali, liston and early foreman

Back