Rocky Marciano

H

HawkEyes Mihawk

I read a comment on a youtube vid, that Rocky was only undefeated because he had MOB connections. Is this true? Anyone know of this? or is youtube ignorant?

I am going to keep it short and succinct. Your posts suck, your world view is myopic, and you impervious to logic and reasoning. Stop posting.

I read a comment on a youtube vid, that Rocky was only undefeated because he had MOB connections. Is this true? Anyone know of this? or is youtube ignorant?

Well...........There was a strong rumor that the Marciano v. Moore fight was a fix....but when you watch the fight it seems that there is no way that the fight could've possibly been fixed because both men are swinging for the fences. Moore took a tremendous beating in that fight which would leave one to ask........why not take a knee in round one and grab the purse money with your brain cells still intact ?

Rocky did have mob connections in Mass., Cleveland, N.Y. and California to name just a few. Mostly they were friends who hung around training camps or would set him up in hotel rooms and take him out on the town......or they were folks who wanted to be seen around the champ.....There is absolutely no evidence that they interfered with any of Rocky's bouts or attempted to influence the outcomes in any way. Rocky was too much of a standup guy and wouldn't have gone for it.

Rocky was undefeated because he was the best heavyweight of his era.....and because most of the fighters he fought in the latter portion of his career were way over the hill and gone.....The average age of his opponent (during his championship reign ) was something like 38.6 years.....Not Rocky's fault.....he just happened to be young when they were getting old.......

I am going to keep it short and succinct. Your posts suck, your world view is myopic, and you impervious to logic and reasoning. Stop posting.

You learn someting about history, jesus christ, your a joke to humanity. You know nothing about boxing.

Fact is, what has been said are all conjectures. No one is going to be able to provide a logical, well thought out, fact based argument for this thread. That is why it's an epic fail. Just like the rest of your posts.

It has also been said that Rocky lose his first fight, but it was later taken care of. It is also rumored that he came back and lost under a different name. Not saying it's true but in case some didnt know.

As a rule, youtube comments are the only place you can find dumber shit than in the heavyweight forum.

Why is this stupid? It's been talked about for fifty years. Rumor, myth, whatever; it's not stupid or far fetched.

You go on believing everything you see is above board. Fine. But dont't you DARE ever use the word "robbery" when you talk about boxing.

Why is this stupid? It's been talked about for fifty years. Rumor, myth, whatever; it's not stupid or far fetched.

You go on believing everything you see is above board. Fine. But dont't you DARE ever use the word "robbery" when you talk about boxing.

Referring to me?

I dont know about the Marciano case, I was referring to youtube comments in general. Deep breaths buddy...

Well...........There was a strong rumor that the Marciano v. Moore fight was a fix....but when you watch the fight it seems that there is no way that the fight could've possibly been fixed because both men are swinging for the fences. Moore took a tremendous beating in that fight which would leave one to ask........why not take a knee in round one and grab the purse money with your brain cells still intact ?

Rocky did have mob connections in Mass., Cleveland, N.Y. and California to name just a few. Mostly they were friends who hung around training camps or would set him up in hotel rooms and take him out on the town......or they were folks who wanted to be seen around the champ.....There is absolutely no evidence that they interfered with any of Rocky's bouts or attempted to influence the outcomes in any way. Rocky was too much of a standup guy and wouldn't have gone for it.

Rocky was undefeated because he was the best heavyweight of his era.....and because most of the fighters he fought in the latter portion of his career were way over the hill and gone.....The average age of his opponent (during his championship reign ) was something like 38.6 years.....Not Rocky's fault.....he just happened to be young when they were getting old.......
I agree with the last part of your reply.

When you want to spew out statistics such as these, it would help your argument if there was accuracy to back it up. i knew it was fishy tho, because your average age number you came up with was pretty close to the age of his oldest opponents during his championship reign. Well, of course he fought some younger guys during this period too, so I figured your stats were made up and full of shit. And I was right. Taking into account Rocky's championship period, as TKD had supposedly done, he went 7-0. The average age for the opponents in those fights was 33.7. We can round that number up to 34. There may be a deviation of +.5 year because I wasn't taking into acount the month of birth, so I'm sure maybe one or two of the fighters were a year older than I tallied. It would still keep the overall at 34.something tho. But there you have it. 34 was the average, and that's perhaps a bit past a HW fighter's prime back then, but not by much. You had it at 39, rounding up.... You were just shooting out fake stats to support your contention. That might work on the HW forum, but guys here will call you on miscalculations.

When you want to spew out statistics such as these, it would help your argument if there was accuracy to back it up. i knew it was fishy tho, because your average age number you came up with was pretty close to the age of his oldest opponents during his championship reign. Well, of course he fought some younger guys during this period too, so I figured your stats were made up and full of shit. And I was right. Taking into account Rocky's championship period, as TKD had supposedly done, he went 7-0. The average age for the opponents in those fights was 33.7. There may be a deviation of +1 year because I wasn't taking into acount the month of birth, so I'm sure maybe one or two of the fighters were a year older than I tallied. But there you have it. 34 was the average, and that's perhaps a bit past a HW fighter's prime back then, but not by much. You had it at nearly 39.... You were just shooting out fake stats to support your contention. That might work on the HW forum, but guys here will call you on miscalculations.

I'm not gonna go through and verify their ages but every single one of Marciano's championship bouts were against fighters who were at or near the end of their careers.

When you want to spew out statistics such as these, it would help your argument if there was accuracy to back it up. i knew it was fishy tho, because your average age number you came up with was pretty close to the age of his oldest opponents during his championship reign. Well, of course he fought some younger guys during this period too, so I figured your stats were made up and full of shit. And I was right. Taking into account Rocky's championship period, as TKD had supposedly done, he went 7-0. The average age for the opponents in those fights was 33.7. We can round that number up to 34. There may be a deviation of +.5 year because I wasn't taking into acount the month of birth, so I'm sure maybe one or two of the fighters were a year older than I tallied. It would still keep the overall at 34.something tho. But there you have it. 34 was the average, and that's perhaps a bit past a HW fighter's prime back then, but not by much. You had it at 39, rounding up.... You were just shooting out fake stats to support your contention. That might work on the HW forum, but guys here will call you on miscalculations.

Sushin......read my post again....I said "something like" and was going strictly off of memory.....I don't google or Wikepedia everything everytime I post........If you want to get down to brass tacks and quarrel about numbers we can take other things into account.....like Archie Moore's disputed birthdate which folks claim was closer to 1910- 1911 than the stated 1913.........That puts the number even higher......But who gives a shit ! (other than you obviously)

Moore.....Walcott....Louis.....and Charles were past their primes when they ran into the Rock. LaStarza was the only fighter that one could consider in his prime.....Cockell ? Well......most folks believe that Don shouldn't have even been in the same building with Rocky to say nothing of the same ring.......

Squash those facts into your computer and hit enter......it all comes out the same........Rocky caught a patch of over the hill fighters and got past them all (although Charles gave him something of a scare or two).....Put Rocky's ass in the 1960-1970's era and no one would even remember his name today......as much as it pains me to say it....

Big difference between 34 and 39... "Something like"? i don't see how that term would apply with a discrepancy like this. Especially when you throw out the number 38.6. LOL. That .6 suggests you did calculations of some sort... And no, I don't really give a shit. But it's dumb to throw out figures that are totally false.

About the contention that Marciano fought guys that were over the hill, I can somewhat agree that they were past their best days. But they were still solid fighters. Especially Charles and Walcott.

Funny, you say that if Marciano fought in the 60s or 70's, nobody would remember his name? That's some mad disrespect there, partner. I've always kind of compared Marciano to Quarry, as they were both fearless fighters that brought it in the ring, despite giving up size to most of their opponents. Quarry and Marciano were similarly sized. Quarry was a very popular fighter from that period.
Makes me wonder how you have the audacity to say........

TKDhasbin says:
Put Rocky's ass in the 1960-1970's era and no one would even remember his name today

Making that asinine statement invalidates everything else that you said that made some sense.

Happy trolling

Back