• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Robert Whittaker low key pokes fun at Strickland after Costa fight

Bobby Knuckles with some constructive, albeit funny criticism of Sean's style and lack of excitement in the cage.

Says Sean's style is like an annoying younger sibling that throws out hands, and if you run into them, it's your fault. Lol

But he is correct in that Sean does not really step on the gas in fights, and often has close fights that he wins or loses, due to fighting so safe.
He's not entirely wrong LOL

...still hard to blame Sean when he keeps turning his opponents into track stars that run away for five rounds rather than trade with him.

To be fair, after is KO loss to Izzy, he has been fighting extremely safe.

Yeah I guess he had to ensure some wins, Till/Gastelum/Vettori weren't that exciting, the Costa one was a banger though and I think Khamzat will be too, Costa brought it to him and I'm sure Khamzat will too

Ol point fighter Bobby poking fun at others who also point fight.

If this guy wasn't a Sherdog darling, he'd get skewered for this.

I'd pick Sean to beat Whittaker all day and Whittaker would point fight to a decision loss.

I think the opposite, Rob would tool Strickland standing, he can fight going backwards and doesn't have much to worry about in terms of power, he also has very good cardio so not much concern of the usual Strickland pressure causing problems.

Rob will blitz Sean all day long to a decision.
This. Rob most likely wins by simply being more active. Sean walks forward in 2 fights (Izzy and Costa) and people suddenly forget he usually just jabs moving backwards and complains when he loses.

This. Rob most likely wins by simply being more active. Sean walks forward in 2 fights (Izzy and Costa) and people suddenly forget he usually just jabs moving backwards and complains when he loses.
3 including Abus, who he walked down and wore out.

But yeah, Robs point is a valid one. Sean fights so carefully that he is often in fights that are debatable of win or lose after the final bell. Dricus was a prime example. He was very competitive, but Dricus appeared to be more offensive and aggressive overall. In the end it was too close for either guy to really complain if they lost a decision.

Rob has a better jab, better footwork and even better kicks.

Bobby Knuckles via whatever he wants.

Sean leveled up after training with Poatan. He's checking leg kicks instead of being stopped dead by them and marching forward constantly since then including smashing Izzy and proving 90% of us here calling him a lay up title defense (myself included) wrong.
I think he won against Dricus as well personally, but it was a really close one. I've been saying for a long time that he has to diversify his offensive game. Costa didn't expect the headkick and got knocked down by it, guy is a jab-deep machine for most of the fight, but I can't fault him when it works, but adding more varied kicks and clinch work will do him wonders.

I think the opposite, Rob would tool Strickland standing, he can fight going backwards and doesn't have much to worry about in terms of power, he also has very good cardio so not much concern of the usual Strickland pressure causing problems.

Rob will blitz Sean all day long to a decision.
I hope so brother(I like Rob more lol), tbh that should of been the fight to make instead of Sean/Costa but I'm not too upset about that cuz Rob/Khamzat is pretty awesome as well

Bobby Knuckles with some constructive, albeit funny criticism of Sean's style and lack of excitement in the cage.

Says Sean's style is like an annoying younger sibling that throws out hands, and if you run into them, it's your fault. Lol

But he is correct in that Sean does not really step on the gas in fights, and often has close fights that he wins or loses, due to fighting so safe.
There is some truth in what Whittaker is saying but in this fight I think Costa deserves a bigger part of the blame since he was backing up for big portions of the fight. It takes two to tango.

ENmOb34tosJppaeds9g89qFGkHI=.gif
This scene was actually brought up during the fight with my friends.

Sounds like a bit of a competitive dynamic going on. Rob doesn't wanna give Sean too much credit even though Sean had a much better and cleaner performance against Costa than he did.
Costa then and now two different animals.

Back