Road to the Golden Gloves

9:30 am Gym time with Freddie

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Freddie had shadow box in circles around a mitt glove.

2 rounds of mitt work. I was horrible today. I had no timing or speed today for whatever reason.

1 round on heavy bag. Still wasn't snapping the jab right.

2 rounds of double end bag. Freddie actually didn't correct me that much on there.

2 rounds on precision bag. I was tired and my form absolutely sucked for this.

5 minutes of speed bag. I'm noticing more improvement here.

5 minutes of rope skipping. Did alright I guess.

1 round of mitt fetching. I did pretty good with this. I'm starting to like this drill.

30 Leg up crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
10 Sit ups with the heavy ass medicine ball.

Conditioning part I did well but Freddie didn't like my mitt work. He said I was throwing my right perfect last time and didn't know what was up today.

I'm ready for Thursday. Redemption is always a good motivator.

Gym time 10:00am with Freddie

Freddie had me shadow box in circles for about 5 minutes. He wants me to stay bouncing on the balls of my feet.

2 rounds of mitt work. I did MUCH better with this. My right hand is almost perfect. And I had a 1-2 that had Freddie saying "No matter what, never change the way you threw that."

2 rounds of heavy bag. I have no idea whats my problem here. No intensity and I can't snap the jab like I want. Shadow boxing? Fine. On the mitts? Fine. Double end bag? Fine. Heavy bag? It sucks.

1 round of double end bag. Freddie had no complaints.

7 minutes of speed bag.

7 minutes of jumping rope. My arm are still wearing out before my legs.

1 rounds of mitt fetching. Get better with it every time.

Conditioning:
30 Raised Leg Crunches
30 Bicycle Kicks
30 Crunches
10 Sit ups with medicine ball.
10 V-ups with medicine ball.

Summary:
Freddie wants me to start running. Run at least 30 minutes everyday and improve on the mileage every time. I'm going to start this tomorrow. Also they installed a slip bag at the gym that I'm going to try out tomorrow as well. I'll try to get my camera phone in there and take some pics for you guys.

10:30 am Gym time

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Just focusing on snapping my jab out.

2 rounds of heavy bag. 1st round I did fairly well with my jab I felt but the 2nd I couldn't snap it out right.

3 rounds of double end bag.

7 minutes + 1 extra round of speed bag.

1 round of jumping rope.

1 mile run.

Summary:
The slip bag there is unfortunately made for people of smaller height. I can still get some work with it. I'm also going to start building up on the miles by increasing it a half mile every time I run.

10:30 am Gym time

2 rounds of shadow boxing. The 2nd round I was using the slip bag. It was odd at first.

2 rounds of heavy bag. Used my 12 oz today. I felt my jab snapping out better.

2 rounds of double end bag.

2 rounds of speed bag.

1 round of jumping rope.

Conditioning:

30 Raised legs crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
10 Sit ups with medicine ball
10 V-up with medicine ball

1.25 mile run. Working with Freddie tomorrow, can't wait.

You may be smothering yourself on the heavybag which could explain your wet-noodle jabbing?

Cool log

10:00 am Gym time with Freddie.

5 minutes of shadow boxing around a mitt.

3 rounds of mitt work. He was having me throw 1-2-1-2 and starting to work on my left hook. He likes it but I have my elbow out enough when I throw though.

2 rounds of heavy bag. I correct one problem and begin a new one. I'm snapping my jab fine but now I'm forgetting to turn my foot with my right cross.

7 minutes of speed bag.

7 minutes of rope jumping.

1 round of mitt fetching.

Another new drill was introduced today. A 4 time back and forth sprint followed by 10 jumping jacks and 10 push ups three times. I did it in 1:36. Freddie wants to do it at least in 1:30 or less.

Conditioning:
30 Leg raised crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
10 Sit up with medicine ball
10 V-ups with medicine ball

1.65 mile run.

Gym moments:
As I was resting a little bit before I was going to run I see this huge motherfucker work mitts with one of the trainers and co-owner, Mike Garcia, turns out it's former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski. For a guy that huge he was pretty fucking fast.

10:30 am Gym time.

1 round of shadow boxing.

1 round of slip bag. Still getting use to this.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

3 rounds of double end bag. I'm starting to hit left hooks on it more consistent now.

3 rounds of speed bag.

Conditioning:

30 Raised leg crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
10 Sit ups with medicine ball
15 V-up with medicine ball.

2.25 mile run.

For the right cross problem, try and INITIATE the turn of your torso and hips by driving with the back foot, so it is a forceful pushing twist, rather than twisting your foot as a consequence of your body/shoulders moving first. Make any sense?

I reread these and they sound pretty confusing.

For the right cross problem, try and INITIATE the turn of your torso and hips by driving with the back foot, so it is a forceful pushing twist, rather than twisting your foot as a consequence of your body/shoulders moving first. Make any sense?

He's always lurking...

I understand it. Thanks.

10:45 am Gym Time.

3 rounds of shadow boxing.

1 round on slip bag.

2 rounds on heavy bag.

2 rounds on double end bag.

2 rounds on speed bag.

2 rounds of jumping rope.

Conditioning:

45 Leg raised crunches
45 Bicycle kicks
45 Crunches
15 Sit up with medicine ball.

10 Push ups on medicine ball.

1.35 mile run.

10:00 am Gym time with Freddie.

2 rounds of shadow boxing to warm up. Freddie liked what he saw. Full extension on straight punches. Snapping the jab, pivoting the body on the right, and bouncing around.

3 rounds of mitt work. I had problem transferring the positive things from shadow boxing to mitt work and heavy bag. I'm not sure the problem.

2 rounds of heavy bag. Same problem. Freddie wants me at a longer range when hitting the bag.

1 round of shadow boxing to loosen up. I was doing everything perfect again. Like I said it's the problem of doing it on the mitts and bag.

7 minutes of speed bag.

7 minutes of jumping rope.

1 round of fetching mitts. I need to start pushing myself more on this.

Conditioning:
45 Leg raised crunches
45 Bicycle kicks
45 Crunches

2.5 mile run.

10:00 am Gym Time

3 rounds of shadow boxing.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

2 rounds of double end bag.

2 rounds of speed bag.

Conditioning:
25 Leg raised crunches
25 Bicycle kicks
25 Crunches
25 Sit up with medicine ball.
25 V-up with medicine ball.

3.25 mile run.

9:00 am Gym Time with Freddie.

1 round of shadow boxing to warm up.

3 rounds of mitt work. He had me working on moving and keep my opponent at mid range.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

7 minutes of speed bag.

7 minutes of jumping rope.

1 round of fetching mitts.

Conditioning:
45 Leg raised crunches
45 Bicycle kicks
45 Crunches

1.5 mile run.

I'm back!

Thursday:

I spar with one of my co workers named Vilatis. He's about a little under 6'0, 160 lbs, and good reflexes. He's tough to spar because he makes not getting hit his number one priority in the ring. So he's more of a counter puncher. So I usually have to throw feints, try to cut off the ring, and throws combos.

So we get to the gym about 2pm.

Warm up on the speed bag two rounds. I could something was wrong with me yesterday because I couldn't hold a tempo for shit.

One round of jump rope.

Two rounds of shadow boxing.

Then four rounds of sparring: Usually I can keep a full tank of energy for four rounds without gassing out but for some reason today after the first round I felt exhausted. I wasn't pressuring V as much as I liked to. I did some things well though. I fought V off the ropes. I improved on keeping a high guard up (my hands almost up to my forehead).

But at the four round I probably got hit the hardest I've ever been tagged in sparring. Mid four round I decided to use a philly shell defense (your lead hand lays horizonal over your waist, ideal for countering someone with lead hooks and right hands). And I started hitting V with right hands at will. But V switched his stance so he was away from my right hand so instead of trying lead hooks I aimed for his body with a right hand and went into one of his rights. BAM! I didn't take a knee or stopped but that punched completely rattled me. I was more psychologically shooken up than physically but I tatically went blank after that and stood in the corner defending myself from furries til the bell.

I start work with Freddie again Tuesday but I might try to switch that around because V has classes that day.

Tuesday, 1-21-09:

Worked with Freddie today.

5 minutes of stretching. Usually I rotate my arms backwarks and forwards about 10 times each. Do 15 jumping jacks, 10 push ups, then 10 squats to warm up.

5 minutes of shadow boxing to warm up.

3 rounds of mitt work. The last round Freddie has me doing jab-right uppercut-slide to the right-right cross-left. Seems like a bad ass combo that can't wait to get down with full speed and power.

1 round of heavy bag. Focused on moving throwing jabs while circling around the bag.

1 round of double end bag. Just throwing for volume.

7 minutes of shitty speed bag.

7 minutes of shitty jump rope.

1 round of fetching mitts. Freddie threw mitts across the room and I kept a moderate pace fetching them, towards the end he threw them at his feet and had me squat down to get them.

Today, Freddie added another conditioning drill. He had to two cones, 20 ft apart I would say, and he had sprint between them 4 times and had me do 10 jumping jacks and 10 push ups. I had to do this 3 times. My time was about 1 minute and 24 seconds which Freddie said wasn't bad.

Core work:
30 Raised leg crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
15 V-ups with a medicine ball.

Gym moments:
I actually saw Freddie spar today against some kid aiming to turn pro. Freddie went light but he control the fight. Walking him down, staying relaxed, and never even looking tired. Which is impressive since they went about literally 8 rounds.

Also I got to see something I never thought I would see. Some lean kid throwing wild straight punches actually broken a heavy bag. No, not tear the fabric, I mean the mother fucking thing swung so wildly on the chains that it just snapped off and crashed into the ground. Crazy.

I hope they charged his ass for that bag.

I hope they charged his ass for that bag.

I hope so too. I've seen the guy train before and the bag swings way too high and way too wild for something like that not to eventually happen. I like my gym and the people there are good people but they break shit constantly. Someone broke the double end bag a week ago and another one busted a speed bag two days ago.

Wednesday, 1-21-09:

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Still felt a little sore from Tuesday.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

2 rounds of double end bag. Started to throw in some uppercuts.

1 round of jumping rope. My calves started to bother me.

30 Raised leg crunches.
30 Crunches
15 Sit ups with a medicine ball.

Thursday, 1-22-09:

Worked with Freddie today.

5 minutes of shadow boxing to warm up.

3 rounds of mitt work. I had a problem with keeping my chin down.

1 round of double end bag. No complaints here.

7 minutes of speed bag.

7 minutes of jump rope.

1 round of fetching mitts.

Did the same drill as Tuesday with the cones. I did 1:34 this time. I think it was because my legs were still bothering today.

Core work:
30 Raised leg crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Crunches
15 V-ups with a medicine ball.
10 Sit ups with a medicine ball.

Back