Road to the Golden Gloves

Hell yeah! Congrats on your first sparring session. 99% of people don't have the balls to do what you just did.

Mine's next week and I'm already anxious.

Heck yeah bro! Good stuff.

Coming from someone who also routinely gets his ass kicked by better boxers...distance, movement, footwork, and the jab are your friends.

I agree. I forgot about footwork, movement, and almost everything else in the heat of battle. Like the old expression goes: Everyones got a plan before they get punched in the face.

I agree. I forgot about footwork, movement, and almost everything else in the heat of battle. Like the old expression goes: Everyones got a plan before they get punched in the face.

Haha, I got ya there.

Usually, how I improve is just by adding one major thing I see each sparring sessions/class and try to focus heavily on it next time. You know what ya need to work on, make it happen.

Me and you both starting sparring recently, so if you got any useful tips for me please lemme know.

It's all good. But here's a lesson from "The Body Snatcher."

He hates the word "relaxed"...he said it implies muscular impotence, meaning when you NEED to tense your reaction time will be slow. He prefers the term "loose", because it implies that you're not tense, but you are alert, meaning you can be snappy on a moment's notice if you have to.

Loose, not relaxed. From Mike McCallum:

l_7d1912ef47e1cb0a901263271f94d55a.jpg

9:30am Gym time

.5 mile run

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Focus heavily on footwork. Lateral movement. Throwing combos going back and going forward.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

2 rounds of double end bag.

2 rounds of speed bag.

1 round of throwing 1-2's with a resistance cable.

Good news. I'm planning on sparring Tom wednesday. He's 178 and hit hards apparently. I can't wait.

9:30am Gym time

.5 mile run

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Focus heavily on footwork. Lateral movement. Throwing combos going back and going forward.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

2 rounds of speed bag.

1 round of throwing 1-2's with a resistance cable.

Good news. I'm planning on sparring Tom wednesday. He's 178 and hit hards apparently. I can't wait.

Awesome! And I'm pretty pissed at you dude...you are able to train this week and Im not :). I have a freaking sinus infection that may be contagious.

Fuck Tom up. Be sure to remember movement/footwork/timing/distance/jab a little more this time :icon_chee

Awesome! And I'm pretty pissed at you dude...you are able to train this week and Im not :). I have a freaking sinus infection that may be contagious.

Fuck Tom up. Be sure to remember movement/footwork/timing/distance/jab a little more this time :icon_chee

That blows. I was like that a couple weeks ago. It was horrible. Feel better soon though.

I will. And I'm already psyched up for it.

Also, thanks for the tip Mr. Sinister. I will be more prepared to stay loose and have some fun in there on weds.

9:45 am Gym Time

1 mile jog

2 rounds of shadow boxing. Emphasis on staying loose yet focus. Threw a left hook a lot more. I've throwing it sparingly lately.

3 rounds of heavy bags. Yes, plural. First one was on a regular canvas bag. Second was on a precision bag, take a heavy bag and give it anorexia. I felt like I did my best of this one. 3rd was on the wrecking ball shaped bag.

2 rounds on double end bag.

2 rounds on speed bag. I had a very good rhythm.

1 round of throwing 1-2's with a resistance cable. Fried my arms totally.

I'm sparring Tom tomorrow and I'm ready for it. I've been completely focusing on staying loose and comfortable these past few days so hopefully that mental notion stays with me tomorrow.

Talked to Freddie as well. I have my 450 ready and I let him know. We're going to sit and talk about schedules and so forth Thursday. Awesome.

10:00 am Gym time

Bad news, turns out Tom was going to spar some other guy and work me after but the dude called off the day before so Tom didn't bring his shit. He's suppose to sparring a bit Friday so I'm going to try to catch him then.

2 rounds of shadow boxing.

3 rounds of heavy bag.

3 rounds of speed bag.

Average day since I was expecting to spar.

9:45 am Gym time

3 rounds of shadow boxing. The second round I used my hand weights (they're 1.5 pounds) and the third round I took them off. I felt faster.

2 rounds of heavy bag.

1 round on the uppercut bag. It was odd at first but got use to it.

2 rounds on the double end bag. I'm proud of this because I found my fucking rhythm with it. I was pretty much hitting almost every jab and cross I threw at it. It was beautiful.

2 rounds on the speed bag. Getting better.

1 round on skipping rope. For some reason my arms get sore before my legs do. Not sure why.

I finished with 1.25 mile jog.

Good news my friends. As of Tuesday I'm under the eye of Freddie Cuevas. I paid and everything. I work with him every Tuesday and Thursday in the morning. I can't wait.

Potentially more good news. A few friends from work want to spar around on Saturday at some park district place. So I'm going to see if I can get some footage of me in action.

Golden gloves...?? Seems like everyone claims to be a gg champ...I think they hand them out in happy meals.

Man if your friends want to spar, you really should lay a beating on them. I mean afterall they're your friends, what are they gonna do kick your ass?

Cuevas was a tough mufucka in his day. Jermain Taylor couldn't knock him out.

Man if your friends want to spar, you really should lay a beating on them. I mean afterall they're your friends, what are they gonna do kick your ass?

Cuevas was a tough mufucka in his day. Jermain Taylor couldn't knock him out.

Yeah, he said he had to stop boxing because his nose got beat up where it became very fragile and could get fucked up easily.

Sadly, my friends and I never got to spar. Everyone got drunk as hell halloween night and wanted to sleep it off. Strawberry Vodka + Cranberry Juice + Orange Juice for the win.

9:30 am Gym time

1 mile jog.

3 rounds of shadow boxing. The first two were with the hand weight and the last round was without.

4 rounds of heavy bag. 1st round: emphasis on jab. 2nd round: emphasis on right cross. 3rd round: emphasis on lead hook. 4th round: free for all.

2 rounds of double end bag. I'm getting much better at this. I was landing 1-2's and 1-2-3's at will now.

2 rounds of speed bag, Same as above. With a couple exceptions, I felt flawless here.

2 rounds of skipping rope. I'm still average at best at this but I'm getting better slowly.

Conditioning:

15 Pull-ups

50 Medicine ball twisits.

Today felt like a great day and it's perfect timing because tomorrow I start work with Freddie.

Nice man, fo sho!

I have sparred 2 times with my friends. First time I knocked my friend out cold in about 15 seconds. Second time I knocked my other friend down 3 times and out once in about 1 full round (I also chipped his tooth). This was after about 6 months of training or so, so I obviously wasn't all that good then. I didn't get hit at all. Good defensive and farrr better footwork/timing/distance ftmfw.

Sorry for the delay guys. My laptop went to shit so I had no access to a computer.

My first day with Freddie was painful but great. He likes my height and reach for my weight. He made me go over the basics for a little bit. Stance, moving, straight punches. He wants to make sure I don't start/fix my bad habits. We worked the pads for 3 rounds. My main problem was keeping my hands up and turning my body into my right cross but when I did it right the noise was deafening.

We worked a round on the heavybag. Pretty average. Then 5 minutes of skipping rope and 5 more of speed bag. Followed by a 1 round drill of fetching the mitts. He basically throws the mitts and you get them by squatting down and running them back to him.

After that some core work.

30 leg up crunches
30 bicycle crunches
30 crunches

I was running on fumes by the end.

It was a good session. Freddie has me working with the high guard. Hands glued to the top of my cheeks. It was odd at first but I'm growing into it.

Unfortunately I got sick so I missed a session and a couple days of training but I'm 100% now and ready for some pain.

I'm back, sorry about the hiatus again.

Tuesday, I fucked up my back the night before. Nothing too serious. I had a ice pack on it the whole day.

Wednesday, I went back to the gym in the afternoon. Saw Freddie and let him know what happened and he understood and rescheduled the days. I trained a little bit but nothing too much since I was still recovering.

Thursday, I was back and trained with Freddie.

1 round of warming up

4 rounds of mitt work. He notices I get lazy with my jab and I start to push it out instead of snap it out.

2 rounds of heavy bag. My arms were fried and I had troubled snapping the jab.

5 minutes of rope skipping. My fucking forearm are still wearing out before my legs even still to bother me.

8 minutes of speed bag.

1 rounds of "fetch." Basically running after mitts on the ground, squatting to pick them up and handing them back. I did much better this time around.

Afterwards we did a drill were I run back and forth a small length 3 times and then do 10 jumping jacks and 10 push ups. I did this 3 times total.

Then it was on core work:
30 Leg up crunches
30 Bicycle kicks
30 Arm out crunches
then 5 Sit ups with a heavy as hell medicine ball.

Freddie wants to get me in the upcoming golden gloves. He was telling me how he fought in them and actually lost his first time there because he got his nose broken. But it's nice that he has faith in me to even suggest fighting in the gloves with only 4-5 months away.

Gym time 9:30am

2 rounds of shadow boxing.

4 rounds of heavy bag. Trying to keep my jab snapping.

2 rounds of precision bag.

1 round of double end bag,

3 rounds of speed bag.

2 rounds of rope jumping.

20 Leg raised crunches
20 Bicycle kicks
20 crunches
10 Sit up with medicine ball.

Back