Road to Amsterdam. MMA, S&C etc.

Friday: off

Feeling sick.

Saturday: PKT

Worked on some basic ground stuff. Lots of new people today. Mostly beginners. Finished with some grappling.

After this I worked on my boxing, doing a few rounds of defence sparring with another team member (one only defends for a round, then attacks the next). Working to get my defence and composure back together.

Afterwards did 35mins of boxing/knees on the heavy bag. Usual work and usual HR. Finished with 10 min of footwork shadow. Feeling much better today, my balance and distance were coming back.

Sunday: off

Did some ghetto OHS - used an old piece of junk in my back yard for resistance. Need to keep the flexibility/mobility.
As I need to cut the weights back a little I thought I'll do plyos/explosive work instead starting from this week and up till my fight. Right now I'm getting some workout ideas together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Monday: PKT

Pretty quiet today but there was a new member. We did some light rolling for about 1hr.

Later did some squat. Worked up to 2x5x240. After this I did 4x5 depth jumps, 4x5 depth pushups and 3x10 full contact twists. Didn't feel too bad but my legs felt a bit rubbery walking home.
Posted via Mobile Device

^^^ I dunno, my coach kinda convinced me to go back down. So that's what will probably happen.

Also I 'm really not mentally ready right now. I still feel very much tied to Japan and shooto and going up in weight would feel like permanently shutting the door on that dream.

I'm in a delicate transitional period and I dunno where it'll take me. So I still want to at least know I can just pack my bags and go back if things don't work for me here.

No need to rush it, might be better to wait until you feel ready and want it.

Tuesday:
20min ellyptical
35mins shadow boxing/thai skipping
^^^kept HR about 150 throughout.

Boxing class: 1hr combination practice, finished with calisthenics. No sparring today!!

Basically a long ass steady state conditioning session.

Wednesday:
Active recovery:
30 easy on ellyptical, stretching and mobility exercises - including OHS - sauna.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thursday: PKT session.

MMA sparring today. A new guy joined us who's pretty good to train with and will likely stick around. Plus we did some real good training overall. The guys are starting to learn how to defend my takedowns but I'm beginning to hit them more often standing.

Later worked on starting strenght. Started with deadlifts up to a single with 330. After this I did 4x5 box broad jumps (starting from sitting on a box, jumping as far as I could). Then 3x5 jab-cross throws with a 7lbs med ball - going more for speed with upper body work. Was a nice workout.

As I'll box on Saturday for tomorrow I'm planning to just do some conditioning work. Funnily enough I feel I need to hit the bag more to develop specific endurance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Friday:
Couldn't make it to the gym. So I got myself a pair of water shoes and went for a run to try them out. Run for 20 min trying to stay off my heels and felt pretty much handicapped. My calves started hurting too. So I run back home and I went on for another 40 min alternating between shadow and skipping.

Saturday:
PKT
Did lots of drills

Boxing
some combo training
body sparring
padwork

Weight is finally coming off but today I was hungry as hell. I really had no intensity.
Posted via Mobile Device

Monday:

PKT
Team's growing! Most guys are beginners tho so I had to spend some time showing technique. I hope the guys understand what i'm doing. I keep stressing on the basic priciples like hip control and posture, I only show the techniques to illustrate the point and give them ideas. I dunno if they get this, I think I should tell them.
We finished training with about 1 hr of grappling.

Later I did squats, up to 5x245, then 4x5 depth jumps and 4x5 depth pushups. Finished with 3x10 dead hang pullups and 2x1min plank with 35lbs. I forgot the full contact twists!

Tuesday:
15 min thai skipping
3x5 min heavy bag

Boxing class
3X2 min sparring
Lots of defence sparring.

So so session today. My hands were very sharp but I had few sparring partners. I had also cut some of the conditioning beforehand because I didn't want it to become a monster session but then I ended up leaving early.
I finished with 3x5 squats with 130(greasing the groove) and 3x10 facepulls (prehab).
Posted via Mobile Device

Wednesday:

Active recovery. Did a quick workout consisting of mobility and stretching drills.

Thursday: PKT

Did lots of free grappling today. Preparing for next week's tournament.

Later worked on starting strenght. We went to do some hill sprints. The hill was very steep but only took about 5 secs to climb (that's as high as they get here in Holland). We did 10 sprints with 1 min break. In the next few weeks we'll reduce resting times so as to add an endurance element.
Back at the gym I did 4x5 jab-cross throws with a 7lbs med ball.

Friday:

15 min thai skipping
5x3min shadow (starting to reduce round lenght and upping intensity)
5x3min heavy bag
12min thai skipping

My HR started out at about 130after the first round of skipping and was over 160 after the last round of bag work.

Saturday:
PKT
Worked on a couple of techniques, drills and some free sparring at the end.

Boxing
Combo drills (reaction punching)
Body sparring
Finished off with some bad and pad work

Squats 155x3x5. Greasing the groove. When I get back to lifting I want to do so with a bang. So I want to make sure I keep working on my technique till that happens.

By the way, recently I've been able to follow my training plans pretty much to the letter, week in week out. I'm pretty happy with this as it never used to happen in Japan. If I managed to follow the plan for a week, I was sure I was going to miss 2-3 workouts at least the following week. This is obviously because my plans were not very realistic. Right now on the other hand I feel that the intensities and volumes I'm using are just right. Plus I can better scale my program depending on how certain workouts feel without my ego gettin too much in the way. Now, since consistency is the basis of successful training I feel I have the chance to finally make some serious progress.

Last edited:
Sunday: mobility+stretching

Worked on variations of Saturday's techniques and finished with some free grappling.

Later worked on reactive strenght. Started with squats up to 3x3 with 245 - I really didn't have 5 reps in me. Wth! I lost 4lbs and my strenght gains are gone? After the squats I did 4x5 depth jumps (increased box height by about 4in), 5x10 pushups (my left pec hurt so I took ot easy) and 3x10 landmines. Finished with 2x1min planks with 45lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tuesday: Boxing

We started sparring pretty muvh straight away. Tonight was very very bad. I was allover the place and my stamina was nowhere to be seen. I put it down to the fact that I'd had a very bad day but still, it pissed me off to no end and I had to stop training as I was suffering a mild nervous breakdown!

Only high point of the day is my trainee showed up on time and ready to do work hard. We worked on squat form and got it right pretty quickly. Later tried some pullups but switched to pulldowns when we realised he just couldn't do them. We finished with some planks and later started having a look at his diet.
The guy is really weak as a kitten, lol - and that may be an understatement. Plus he feeds on candy and diet coke! However I promised him in a few months I'd turn him into a monster. It shouldn't be too hard as he is young and seems to listen to what I tell him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thursday: PKT

Worked on alot of sparring to get ready for Saturday's tournament.

Friday: off

Coached my trainee. Did squats where we added some weight. We also worked on breathing in the squat. Later I wanted to do pushups but he was so unbalanced it was a mess. So we did DB bench instead.
After this we worked on Deadlift technique. I must say I made it pretty hard for him to understand but by the end of the session we had done a few good sets.

Basically what I'm doing with him is a program concentrating on 4 main movements, 2 per session: squat/deadlift, bench/pullups. In these lifts we increase the weight linearly. The rest of the session is for assistance. Judging on how messed up his body is right now I think most of the assistance will be unilateral work. Actually, even some of the main lifts have to be unilateral work right now - eg. DB bench.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saturday:
Grappling tournament.
Competed at some Dutch national tournament. Went 2-2. I could have done better by I made some very basic mistakes against guys who were not going to let them go by.
It was an amazing tournament tho. There were loads of good guys and the way it was structured means you were guaranteed at least 3 matches.
It was also good for the team and I managed to help the guys to some sweet submission wins. This should also give them some motivation to keep training hard, especially since there's another one in a month's time!

Sunday:
Active recovery, pre-hab, stretching.
Worked especially on my hamstrings. I think I realised I never actually stretched my hamstrings properly and I'm suffering because of that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some half guard stuff and a little free grappling. I was tired as hell from Saturday.

Later worked with my trainee. We did squats, 1leg presses, pulldowns and OHP. We tried to add weight on the squat but it wasn't too good. I think I'll make him squat twice this week. We also added weight on the pulldowns and he had no problem. He said his diet is going well but still it is not having an effect on his BW. I guess we'll have to wait a couple weeks to see that happening.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tuesday:
30min skipping/shadow

Boxing class
Shadow
Sparring

Did much better today. My jab was landing and my right hand came through quite a few times too, especially in the later rounds. My balance still sucks tho and my guard is allover the place. I have enough head movement to avoid punishment for now but I really really need to tighten my guard and footwork.

Finished with 5x2 min rounds on the bag.

Thursday: Boxing
Shadow
Sparring
Combination practice

Was doing really well tightening my defence and closing the distance. Finally my fear of getting hit is gone but... I think I'm also done with this gym.
Had a chat with the boss and was basically told I can't have my team the way I want so there's no other reason for me to stay here. I don't get anything out of following the class schedule so if I can't organise my own group and work on the stuff we need then I'm just wasting my time.
Of course all of this is pretty fucked up because I also just lost my job and will have to pull out of my boxing match. So I basically wasted the last 4 months of my life and I have absolutely nothing to show for it!

Friday: Off

Saturday: PKT

Half guard techniques, free grappling.

Later spoke to the boxing coach and he said he's going to think of a way to get me to do the match. The sticky point is the $80 fee! (but of course I may have a job by the end of the week and that'll no longer be a problem). So I was going to squat but instead I did some bag work. Did 6x2 min (sprinting the last 30secs), then 3x2 min shadow with pink dumbells and 1x2 min shadow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back