Road to Amsterdam. MMA, S&C etc.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by paolo27th, Sep 30, 2010.

1. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

So here we go, my second sherdog log - hopefully this time I`ll stick to it. I may not give detailed info but I`ll write as much as I can.

Here are some stats:

Age 30 (almost 31)
    Sport: pro MMA
    Weight class: 155lbs

Lifts:
    Squat: 240lbs X3
    Deadlift: 308lbs X3
    Bench: 167lbs X3
    Max pullups: 12

Endurance:
    6.30min/mile

I just had a fight a couple weeks ago and haven`t really got back to serious training yet. At any rate I`m planning to leave Japan in the next few weeeks and move back to Europe - the Netherlands to be precise.

I enjoyed my time in Japan and having the possibility to train pretty much full-time for the last 4 years. I made alot of experience and learned many things - mainly by making shit loads of mistakes - but at 31 and with no carrer path to speak of I feel it`s time to return. Take what I learned with me and use it back home in the Old Continent.

Right now I`m drawing up programs following EZA`s advice from his book "Utimate MMA conditioning". Among other things EZA is setting up a testing protocol to assess one`s level of conditioning and compare it to other MMA athletes. I recently performed the test and came up really weak in pretty much every area other than aerobic endurance and lower-body strenght. So right now my goal is to increase my level of upper-body strenght and muscle endurance. Once upper-body strenght is at acceptable levels I`ll start concentrating on explosive power.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. JaJim

JaJim Yellow Belt

Gonna keep an eye on this one.

Are you from Holland originally? How did you end up in Japan?

3. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Friday:

4X5 mins grappling.
    Pretty lazy today but it was cool. This was the first week back to training so I tried to take it easy. Still did a couple of really good rounds where I had an interesting scrap with our star grappler (won`t name him `cause I don`t want to make it sound like I`m boasting).

At first he was actually taking it easy, but then he realised he couldn`t take me down and started going bananas. Still neither I nor he could get anthing going.
    Next round I jump in straight for the takedown and get it. He defends, and I end up glued on his back for a couple minutes. He scrambles again and as the round is about to finish he manages to take my back and go for a choke attempt.
    Now I know this is only training but I know the guy and he`s always only in competition mode. Plus he was breathing REALLY heavy at the end of both rounds so it`s safe to say he was putting some effort into it and yet we ended up just even. Considering all that I think I can confidently conclude that finally I CAN GRAPPLE!!!

Nah, I`m Italian. As my wife is Japanese I took the opportunity to come here and train MMA.

4. MIDMOBOX

MIDMOBOX Telling People things they don't want to know

welcome to the logs. Since your wife is japanese I will reccomend that you do not visit my log.

5. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

^^^of course I had to check your log after you said that. Let`s say that it`s "insteresting"...

6. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Saturday:
    Did my class. The usual 2 people came. Did a couple rounds of shadow and then sparred with both to correct some their mistakes. They are kind of an uphill battle but I do the best I can.

Later I told my coach I`m leaving in 2 weeks. He kept his composure just like he`d done before. Then he started asking me where will I train and gave me the head`s up on some people he knows in the Netherlands. After that he paid me for the class for the past 8 weeks - and unilaterally gave me a 250% pay rise!

I think "I see what he did there". Rather than getting all emotional and selfishly asking me to stay he put up a cool facade and simply decided to show support for my decision. I feel lucky to have met the guy. Hopefully as I return to Europe I`ll realise some of the guy`s class has rubbed off on me during the last 4 years.

After this I did some lifting. 5X5 Deads with 285, OHP with 50 and some rows on a machine (the light OHP and the use of machines for rows are due to an injury to my right shoulder which has seriously hampered my progress for the past year).

7. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Monday:

AM: 5x5min MMA spar.

Did ok this morning altough it took me the first couple of minutes to wake up. My back was giving me hell tho. I think I`ll never again do sets of 5 on deadlifts. I`ll stick to 3 from now on.

PM: Conditioning (was going to lift today but my back is too sore from Saturday)

10mins heavy skipping
    10mins HICT lunges (walking lunges plus 70lbs sandbag)
    10mins heavy skipping

10X5X2 Tempo pushups (slow pushups, 2 seconds down and 2 up)

8x4 BW pullups - Wtf this is the only lift I do twice a week and I seem to make no improvement whatsoever!

3X10 Ab-Wheel rollouts from knees - reintroducing these after a long time.

8. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Tuesday:

BJJ: Some technique work and 6X3mins of rolling.

Tried to take it easy as I`m a bit worn out from yesterday.

9. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Wednesday:

Strenght:
    Deads: went up to 308X3 but my back was really not having it. Ended up dropping 10lbs and did 4 sets. I need to give my back a break before I get injured.

DB OHP: 55X5X4. Wow a 4lbs improvements! Finally I start making progress here. My right shoulder is finally responding to training.

DB row: 70X5X4.

After this I did some heavy bag work. 3X5 min of boxing and 2X5 min of clinching.

No PM session as I really need to give my back some time to rest. I feel a bit silly that I`m investing so much time and energy doing GPP in my last 2 weeks in Japan. But after all this is a big weakness of mine right now so I may just as well keep working on it.

10. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Thursday:

Akiyama Dojo:

Shadow 5X3mins

Punchout drills: 2X30 secs + 2X1min
    Punchout combos: (1,2,hook,2)X3mins, (1,2,3,LK,2,3,2,LK)X3mins

Wrestling: 30mins (here the "winner" stays in and a new partner comes wrestle him)

Wow, today`s training was pretty bad. To start with we only had 2 sandbags so the punchout drills took about 1hr. Of course why we`d do punchout drills before skill training is beyond me. Then the wrestling itself was simply to where you get you opponent on his ass. No matter if he`s still defending and you have no control. If he`s on his ass it`s over - which to me is not even half of the takedown equasion. Really disappointing because training here is usually very good.

Friday:

Cycle to gym (8m)
    Grappling: 6X5mins
    Cycle back

Today I took down a greco-roman olympic silver medalist, TWICE!!! Ok, tbh the guy isn`t such a good wrestler - funny thing to say about an olympian. From what I`ve heard his whole game consisted of pushing people outside the mats and win on penalty points. I guess it`s true because he`s pretty good at simply pushing people back. However that doesn`t work so well when the mats are enclosed in a chain link fence.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  11. Brandon85

Brandon85 Green Belt

c'mon... spill the beans! Good luck with your training.

12. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

You can guess when I post pictures next week.

Saturday:

Did my last class. Some slightly more advanced dude came so I managed to do 2X5 mins of mma sparring.

Later some strengh-aerobic. Basically heavy sets of compound lifts followed by slow high-rep sets of the same exercises. Brutal stuff. Did some squats, DB bench and pullups. I still suck at squats tho. I only managed to do [email protected] and even failed on the last rep. I`ll have to video myself because I`m definitely doing something wrong... or maybe I`m just weak! Somehow I can`t seem to improve on squats and pullups no matter how much I train them.

13. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Tuesday:

3X5min striking spar.

Took Monday off as I was feeling sick. Today wasn`t good either. I thought I`d be ok after warming up but even after 3 hard rounds of sparring I was feeling like shit so I called it a day.

14. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

How did you do in your last fight? Any vids?

I keep confusing your log with mine. I get all excited that someone posted in my log but then I'm like "Road to... oh Amsterdam... darn..." :)

15. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

My last fight was pretty good actually, thanks. I let the guy push me around a bit and ended gassing in the second round (which costed me a promotion to Class A Shooto).
    Still it was pretty entertaining and we both gave it our all. It`s such a shame that when I finally start to perform the way I want it`s already time to leave this country!
    Anyways, here`s the vid:

16. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Good fight, congrats on the win. With all of that clinching it almost looked like a Muay Thai fight for a while. I thought you looked like the better fighter for the most part. Good luck with your training back in the Netherlands.

17. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Yes, I won mainly because I got that near submission in the first. That gave me an extra point that offset losing the second. About the clinching, the guy likes it and I like it too. I was doing well with it till I realised how much energy it was taking from me.

18. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Wednesday:

AM: Strenght
    Deads 308X3X4
    OHP 55X5X4
    Rows 70X5X4

Also tried some poor man`s reverse hypers as in the vid below. I was reading the thread by miaou in the main forum and got me thinking that my problem on keeping posture in the squat may be a symptom that I`m relying on my quads too much rather than the back chain. I did 4X10 with a 20lbs dumbell but it didn`t feel quite right. Later I also bought some bands so I`ll try it with those next time.

PM: Grappling (maybe 6X6mins?)

Last session at Paraestra. Mostly easy. A new foreigner was there, Canadian dude. He`s planning on staying here long term and seems pretty serious about mma. I feel like he`s come to substitute me, lol. I`ll try and share with him as much as I learned about Japan (not much) before I leave.

Pic from tonight:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  19. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

Thursday:

Missed training as I was chasing my former employer who hadn`t paid me my last wage. Turns out I had given him my wife`s account number and that`s where the money was. So this week I missed 2 sessions because I was sick and 1 because I was punch-drunk!

20. MIDMOBOX

MIDMOBOX Telling People things they don't want to know

You log has almost as many azns as mine

How long til you leave Japan?