RIP Stuart Scott

Stuart Scott ‏@StuartScott Jun 15
Son. Brother. Friend. Athlete. Broadcaster. I am all of these..but BEST thing I will EVER be..is Dad 2 my angels.

BqLy6iOIIAItWBn.jpg

You two are just off in your own little worlds, good God. Scott was a a straight up new school pro.

i liked that stuff early on. i even liked berman twenty years ago. but they all went overboard and it started becoming about the sportscaster and not the sport. and they all began to try outdoing each other. it made espn a joke. it isnt as if us two are the only ones in the world who feel that way

that said, he seemed like a stand up guy for the most part, so rip to him.

You two are just off in your own little worlds, good God. Scott was a a straight up new school pro.

Yea, ridiculous. Scott was a professional through and through. Sad to see him go. I pretty much grew up with him.

Care to expand?

i basically did. at first it was cute. bermans nicknames were even funny. bert be home blyelevn, etc. i fault berman by faqr the most.

but then the next wave came in. dan patrick, olbermann, stu, etc.

still it wasnt too bad at first. but then it became a game of one upsmanship. everyone had to have their own signature lines. and then one wasnt enough. you needed more, each one dumber than the last.

even though they repulse me, olbermann and patrick seemed to be able to get away with it a little better. it seemed less gimmicky to me. stu just became one catch phrase after another. and it was more about him than the sport he was discussing.

it got out of control and now the entire network is almost unwatchable. now we dont watch sports. we watch skip bayless troll the audience. we watch cris carter talk about himself non-stop. honestly, have you ever heard berman say the raiders in a normal voice? or heard him talk about a game in green bay without talking about the tundra?

he was a big part of it.

anyway, thats enough. i dont really want to talk to poorly of a dead man, especially one who seemed like a good dude otherwise. hit me up when john sterling dies

i basically did. at first it was cute. bermans nicknames were even funny. bert be home blyelevn, etc. i fault berman by faqr the most.

still it wasnt too bad at first. but then it became a game of one upsmanship. everyone had to have their own signature lines. and then one wasnt enough. you needed more, each one dumber than the last.

even though they repulse me, olbermann and patrick seemed to be able to get away with it a little better. it seemed less gimmicky to me. stu just became one catch phrase after another. and it was more about him than the sport he was discussing.

it got out of control and now the entire network is almost unwatchable. now we dont watch sports. we watch skip bayless troll the audience. we watch cris carter talk about himself non-stop. honestly, have you ever heard berman say the raiders in a normal voice? or heard him talk about a game in green bay without talking about the tundra?

he was a big part of it.

anyway, thats enough. i dont really want to talk to poorly of a dead man, especially one who seemed like a good dude otherwise. hit me up when john sterling dies

Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-Strokes.gif

The fuck are you rambling about? so youre irritated that sportscasters try to be entertaining while delivering news about entertainment? Youre probably the only goof that looks at catch phrases in the sports anchor business as some sort of "one-up" politics. Would you prefer to hear news about LeBrons dunk similar to a murder being reported?

I guess, hes saying personality= bad.

most times, yes. walton, john sterling, berman, bill raftery, hawk harrelson all have tons of personality. they all suck too.

i will take those non-personality guys like ernie harwell and vin scully anytime. a few guys like bob ueker and jon gruden get it right. but they are the exception

Gary-Coleman-Confused-Gif-On-Diffrent-Strokes.gif

The fuck are you rambling about? so youre irritated that sportscasters try to be entertaining while delivering news about entertainment? Youre probably the only goof that looks at catch phrases in the sports anchor business as some sort of "one-up" politics. Would you prefer to hear news about LeBrons dunk similar to a murder being reported?

what the fuck are you talking about? i am hardly alone in this. by all means if you love to hear berman say The Raaaaiiiiiiiddddddeeeeeeerrrrrrrssssssss 4576458 times a show, by all means record it and put it on a loop. i just think it got old 15 years ago.

and if you dont think there is any pressure or type of gamesmanship involving catchphrases, you are out of your mind. they all have them, and most are horrible

i mean, i thought the cool as the other side of the pillow line was great. not as great the one millionth time as the first, but it was great. and i prefer to hear my sports described as if the anchors actually watched the event, not as if they are trying to fit the sport into a script they think is witty.

that said, in their prime, i thought olbermann and patrick were great. thy knew how to strike a balance. than patrick became an idiot and olbermann only wanted to talk politics and shit changed

most times, yes. walton, john sterling, berman, bill raftery, hawk harrelson all have tons of personality. they all suck too.

i will take those non-personality guys like ernie harwell and vin scully anytime. a few guys like bob ueker and jon gruden get it right. but they are the exception

Yeah you're just retarded. So youre using two baseball broadcasters (the best in their business) as examples of how ESPN news anchors should provide news on every sport? lmao.

Cmon-Son.gif

Yeah you're just retarded. So youre using two baseball broadcasters (the best in their business) as examples of how ESPN news anchors should provide news on every sport? lmao.

Cmon-Son.gif

no, i was just showing that not having a personality can still make you interesting to listen to. i mean if you prefer an a bomb form a rod over the way the other two called it, so be it. its personal preference.

i realize that espn got to where they were based on the personalities of their broadcasters. and i loved it too. but as i said, it just got stale over time

but i am not gonna post anymore on the subject in this thread. its not the right place for it

i mean i was respectful to him. i said numerous times he seemed like a great guy. i gave an opinion of his work. but if you guys want to take personal shots at me for having the nerve to not just think his on air work was just incredible, i have no problem continuing.

and the best part is, from all i read, stu would have no problem with anything i said

Probably a discussion saved for down the road. That being said RIP Mr. Scott.

he was a big part of it.

Okay, I gotcha. Even though, I'm not sure you could owe the transformation of journalism to any of those guys: it was a natural progression as news became more saturated and access to news became more constant and universal: especially with multiple channels providing 24/7 coverage of a relatively restrictive subject matter (sports which Americans care about). I assure you that shock jocks and cartoonish media personalities existed prior to ESPN, though.

Also, I think a lot of the channel/industry's most popular guys have refrained from developing catch phrases, so I'm not sure the situation is as dire as you believe.

I'm guessing you watch a lot of Outside the Lines so that you can get your ultra-dry sports journalism?

Back