RIP Stuart Scott

I didn't like Stuart Scott at first but he grew on me without me even realizing it. He was a genuine person

Him and Berman did go to the nickname card way too much but still liked watching him. Berman was the first one I remember doing this 20+ years ago and it was funny a couple of names a show then he started to do 5 times a minute.

Seemed like a genuine guy, he had a hell of a career. RIP

I woukd accept anyone saying they didn't like Stu just because. People have different tastes and that is cool, but these articulations of why he was bad are pretty silly.

RIP hopefully he gets to do some awesome afterlife highlights.

Okay, I gotcha. Even though, I'm not sure you could owe the transformation of journalism to any of those guys: it was a natural progression as news became more saturated and access to news became more constant and universal: especially with multiple channels providing 24/7 coverage of a relatively restrictive subject matter (sports which Americans care about). I assure you that shock jocks and cartoonish media personalities existed prior to ESPN, though.

Also, I think a lot of the channel/industry's most popular guys have refrained from developing catch phrases, so I'm not sure the situation is as dire as you believe.

I'm guessing you watch a lot of Outside the Lines so that you can get your ultra-dry sports journalism?

I think the transformation of ESPN (or SportsCenter, to be more accurate) to its current, bro-ish, frat boy-like state is a product of a lot of factors. The push for entertainment being the main one. EVERYTHING has to be super, duper fun now. Your senses have to be stimulated to the max at all times. Bright lights, exciting music, fast highlights, jokes, it all has to be frenzied or people will tune it out because it's so boring.

Like a lot of people, I was cool with it at the beginning when it was measured and sporadic. Late 90s or early 2000s were the latest it was ok. Then it got too ridiculous. I know sports aren't that serious but watching non-stop snark, hyperbole and exaggeration is tiring.

RIP Stu.....there will be no more Player Hater Degrees handed out.

Back