Rios/Alvarado II March 16th

The only reason top rank makes these stupid matchups is because they don't have a choice, because Golden Boy owns the rest of the 140 division (matthysse, judah, garcia, khan).

The only reason top rank makes these stupid matchups is because they don't have a choice, because Golden Boy owns the rest of the 140 division (matthysse, judah, garcia, khan).

here's what i don't understand...if they're willing to make Rios-Gamboa why can't they make Rios-Bradley?

here's what i don't understand...if they're willing to make Rios-Gamboa why can't they make Rios-Bradley?

Bradley is still a welterweight right? Anyway, I'm not expecting him to stay very long with Top Rank because outside Pacquiao, there is nothing very interesting for him at 147, in terms of big names and big paydays. JMM and Pacquiao are pretty much locked for a fifth fight together later this year so I doubt Bradley has the patience to wait, especially if Marquez wins again, he will probably retire and a second fight against Pacquiao will become even less attractive.

Bradley is still a welterweight right? Anyway, I'm not expecting him to stay very long with Top Rank because outside Pacquiao, there is nothing very interesting for him at 147, in terms of big names and big paydays. JMM and Pacquiao are pretty much locked for a fifth fight together later this year so I doubt Bradley has the patience to wait, especially if Marquez wins again, he will probably retire and a second fight against Pacquiao will become even less attractive.

i hear ya and all of that makes sense. Thank you for your reply.

Rant below

My thing is if TR was willing to have Gamboa-Rios fight at a catchweight, then why not Bradley? Is that too much of a step up for Rios? They can't meet at 143.5? Too much for TR to lose? Rios will fight anyone, just ask him. Oh wait!!! TR was looking to get rid of Gamboa, right?

Hell, Chad Dawson even drained himself to fight the best, whether or not HBO told him to do it.

Then WTF am I even bothering with TR fighters and fights anymore? Pac-JMM are going to fight for the 5th time?!?!? What the hell is this...Lets have my biggest cash cow keep fighting the same guy until he wins convincingly? That's how it seems.

I feel like with the cold war between TR and GBP, they both owe the fans the best possible fights that they can make under their banner and they're failing us.

Instead, we're watching Pacman fight the same guy 5 times and Rios fighting rematches against a guy he already knocked out, controversial or not. What was everyone's scorecard up to the knockout? I know what the judges had.

Golden Boy has no intentions in making Mares-Santa Cruz (which is a mouthwatering fight) and Canelo "might" fight Trout. If it was Arum, he'd throw Angulo in there with Canelo. Does anyone in here really think GBP thought Danny Garcia would knockout Khan? And now...none of their top 140 guns are going to get within 100 miles of Matthyssee, instead they're going to have him move up and fight Maidana? Great...what in the fuck that does do for the 140 division? Seriously? THAT'S where the best fights are!!!!

Watch Mikey Garcia fight Juan Ma next...just watch. Arum already fucked up Gamboa-JuanMa and since we've learned the truth about JuanMa, you just know he's throwing him into the Mikey Garcia train. It makes too much monetary sense for Bob and its safe.

Now...here I am crying about legacy when it's about fighting for a prize. My thoughts are, the bigger the fight the bigger the fighter's prize because of interest. We don't have a "best" fighter since the best aren't fighting the best.

At this point we have a very competitive 140 pound division but no clear cut number 1 guy. we have a guy waiving belts around like he's that guy...and he beat a Modelo filled past his prime legend twice. Obviously the second fight was made to REALLY make sure who was better, right?

This is bordering on ridiculous and I'm fucking sick of it and fuck them both.

/rant

EDIT: Bradley will fight Jessie Vargas next...just speculation but it makes sense.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=62254#ixzz2KWyUQ4Kh

By Rick Reeno

Vladimir Hyrunov, the co-promoter for IBO/WBA "regular" champion Khabib Allakhverdiev (18-0, 8KOs), has advised BoxingScene.com that a deal was reached to defend their titles against the very dangerous Breidis Prescott (26-4, 20KOs) on March 30th as the HBO televised co-feature to Brandon Rios-Mike Alvarado II at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Top Rank, who recently signed Khabib to a co-promotion with Hyrunov, wanted to match him against Karim Mayfield (17-0-1, 10KOs), but some promotional complications on the side of Mayfield got in the way.

Hyrunov told BoxingScene that he brought Khabib to Top Rank in order to make him an international superstar. He also wants Khabib to get the opportunity to fight Top Rank's biggest names - like Brandon Rios, Timothy Bradley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao.

"Bob Arum of Top Rank knows how to create stars. Top Rank built the big pay-per-view attractions like Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. That's why I brought Khabib to them. We want Khabib to become a superstar," Hyrunov told BoxingScene.com.

Hyrunov is very familiar with Prescott and views the hard-hitting Colombian as being a tougher, more dangerous opponent than Mayfield. Hyrunov saw Prescott's one minute destruction of Amir Khan in 2008, and also witnessed how the boxer came very close to beating Mike Alvarado in 2011.

"This is a very serious fight. Prescott is a serious opponent, very strong and he can punch. I've seen him fight before. I saw what he did to Amir Khan. After the loss, Khan switched promoters, to Golden Boy, and he never wanted to fight him again in a rematch. We are talking this fight very seriously. Next week Khabib will head to Miami, where he will begin training camp with coach John David Jackson," Hyrunov said.

Khabib had a banner year in 2012 and became a player at 140-pounds. He destroyed Kaizer Mabuza in fours rounds in June, and then traveled to Florida in November to win the WBA championship with a technical decision over previously undefeated Joan Guzman.

I likes this.

Rios must be feeling pretty lame

He's exactly where he was 6 months ago

Khabib/Prescott winner v Rios/Alvarado winner sounds good

Whatever happened to the WBO title?

rios_alvarado_banner.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Looking forward to his fight with Prescott.

This will be a shorter version of the first fight with the same outcome.

Because they're both undefeated

Let it marinate a while and it'll become PPV quality

Gamboa can't reach the magical 147 division

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael

"As per @CarlMoretti, 140 titlist Khabib Allakhverdiev is injured/off 3/30 @HBOboxing vs Breidis Prescott, who will meet Terrence Crawford"

Plus Fat Dan says Crawford fight not done.
Damn it.

i hear ya and all of that makes sense. Thank you for your reply.

Rant below

My thing is if TR was willing to have Gamboa-Rios fight at a catchweight, then why not Bradley? Is that too much of a step up for Rios? They can't meet at 143.5? Too much for TR to lose? Rios will fight anyone, just ask him. Oh wait!!! TR was looking to get rid of Gamboa, right?

Hell, Chad Dawson even drained himself to fight the best, whether or not HBO told him to do it.

Then WTF am I even bothering with TR fighters and fights anymore? Pac-JMM are going to fight for the 5th time?!?!? What the hell is this...Lets have my biggest cash cow keep fighting the same guy until he wins convincingly? That's how it seems.

I feel like with the cold war between TR and GBP, they both owe the fans the best possible fights that they can make under their banner and they're failing us.

Instead, we're watching Pacman fight the same guy 5 times and Rios fighting rematches against a guy he already knocked out, controversial or not. What was everyone's scorecard up to the knockout? I know what the judges had.

Golden Boy has no intentions in making Mares-Santa Cruz (which is a mouthwatering fight) and Canelo "might" fight Trout. If it was Arum, he'd throw Angulo in there with Canelo. Does anyone in here really think GBP thought Danny Garcia would knockout Khan? And now...none of their top 140 guns are going to get within 100 miles of Matthyssee, instead they're going to have him move up and fight Maidana? Great...what in the fuck that does do for the 140 division? Seriously? THAT'S where the best fights are!!!!

Watch Mikey Garcia fight Juan Ma next...just watch. Arum already fucked up Gamboa-JuanMa and since we've learned the truth about JuanMa, you just know he's throwing him into the Mikey Garcia train. It makes too much monetary sense for Bob and its safe.

Now...here I am crying about legacy when it's about fighting for a prize. My thoughts are, the bigger the fight the bigger the fighter's prize because of interest. We don't have a "best" fighter since the best aren't fighting the best.

At this point we have a very competitive 140 pound division but no clear cut number 1 guy. we have a guy waiving belts around like he's that guy...and he beat a Modelo filled past his prime legend twice. Obviously the second fight was made to REALLY make sure who was better, right?

This is bordering on ridiculous and I'm fucking sick of it and fuck them both.

/rant

EDIT: Bradley will fight Jessie Vargas next...just speculation but it makes sense.

I like the Garcia/Lopez fight. True what you say about Lopez but I'm not so sure about Garcia after the Salido fight.

Back