Rigan Machado said ROLLS not Royce is the best at BJJ

Rolls was his teacher and almost everyone that I have heard talk in the Gracie clan says Rolls was the best and then Rickson.

Exactly, you're always gonna think more highly of your teacher, that's why I said he was being biased =/.

Rickson by armbar and Paulo Filho's word

Exactly, you're always gonna think more highly of your teacher, that's why I said he was being biased =/.

that's not the case here. Everyone thought Rolls was the best.

Rigan Machado said ROLLS not Royce is the best at BJJ.

Rigan contacted them and said it was Rolls who was the best at BJJ. Their original print of Royce being the best was a mistake.

Well that makes more sense.

I couldn't buy the Royce claim.

no bjj practioner in their right mind would ever say that royce was the best. Most would say rickson or rolls. But you have to understand something, Rolls passed away when rickson was like 18/19 rickson has improved alot since them. Also, rickson is alot bigger than rolls. From what i read about rolls, he was a phenomenal athelte so he might have been faster and more athletic than rickson.

I think even Rickson said Rolls was the best, as has Royce and Renzo.

Rolls used to tap Royce with both arms in his belt, and was the original practitioner to bring the Triangle Choke to BJJ and made it what it is today. Most of the entries and transitions for triangles originated with Rolls, and before that nobody used it.

lol, hard to imagine a time when the triangle choke was some kind of l33t secret :icon_chee

Everyone considered Rolls the best when he was alive. Apparently he was the only guy that was able to still tap out Rickson after Rickson passed his brown belt. He is also credited with being the first to really focus on working leglocks and freestyle wrestling techniques into his BJJ game. He's probably top 10 in terms of innovators important to BJJ's development.

Seriously, I have all the respect in the world for Royce, but who honestly thinks he has world class jiu jitsu?

I made a thread that had Relson pondering the old days and he told me that Rolls was the best.

Back