Rigan Machado said ROLLS not Royce is the best at BJJ

i remember reading an article about Carlson Gracie Sr. and he said Rolls was the best. i remeber when i meet Rogers dad he was telling us about how good Rolls was and how Rolls use to tap Rickson with ease. And Carlos Graie Jr. was telling us that when Rickson foguth Zulu that zulu was supposed to fight Rolls but Zulu was to scared to fight rolls so Rickson stepped up to fight him.

Heres a good article i found about Rolls a while ago.

"He was one of those students that is always looking for the essence, the full knowledge of everything. He wasnt just satisfied with the basics. He always wanted to understand what made everything work and why. To me he was the best fighter in the family."
That was the great Carlson Gracie, talking about Rolls Gracie.

Most everyone on here has their favorite Gracie for some reason or another. Whether its Rickson, Royler, Carlos, Renzo or maybe Helio or Carlson. My personal favorite was Rolls. Here's some info about Rolls, summarized mostly from the book "The Gracie Way"

Rolls was born out of wedlock to Carlos Gracie and Claudia Zandomenico, an Italian stewardess. Since he was born out of wedlock, Carlos's wife didnt want to take care of Rolls, so Carlos entrusted brother Helio to raise his blond haired, blue eyed son. Rolls started teaching at the academy at an early age and the transition from student to teacher was seamless, as Rolls became one of the most sought after instructors around. He would train with Helio privately and got so technical, it was unbelievable. His knowledge of position and techniques was incredible.

He started training with Osvaldo Alves to improve his judo skills. He trained with Osvaldo nearly every day for one year and was introduced to hard training that Osvaldo had learned, while spending a considerable amount of time in Japan.

Rolls would enter every tournament there was, whether it was brazilian jiu jitsu, judo, sambo or wrestling. He especially liked sambo due to its many knee and foot submissions that brazilian jiu jitsu lacked at that time.

Rolls also learned wrestling from Bob Anderson, who has coached wrestlers such as Rulon Gardner, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture and Darrell Gohlar among others. He was one of the best coaches in the world at that time. Anderson was sent to Brazil by the World Wrestling Organization to develop wrestling programs in Brazil. It was there where he met Rolls Gracie. Anderson and Rolls became great friends. Anderson, who was 6'2 220 pounds called Rolls a renaissance man who learned quickly and understood more than jiu jitsu. He went on to say that Rolls was very tough and pound for pound there were very few like the 160 pound Rolls. Anderson later brought Rolls to San Clemente. Rolls wanted to represent Brazil in the Pan Am Championships in wrestling and in sambo. Anderson and Rolls entered the AAU National Championships and The YMCA National Championships. They both walked through the tournaments and destroyed the opposition, winning their respective divisions.

On June 6th 1982, the leader of the new generation of jiu jitsu fighters, who had revolutionized jiu jitsu in the seventies, met his destiny on a borrowed hang glider in the mountains of Maua. Apparently it was a bad day for flying and there wasnt enough wind but Rolls's stubborness took over, as he really wanted to fly. He took a bad drop and was found dead, tangled in the trees.

Rolls had 3 sons, Igor, Gregor, Rolls Jr. and wife Angela.

The things I admired most about Rolls was his open-mindedness and creativity to learn different arts and constantly improve himself. Along with that, I admired his very well documented intensity. When Zulu had challenged the Gacie family to a vale tudo fight, Helio was going to have Rolls fight him but Zulu said "I'll fight anyone in the family except for that blond one!" The teenage Rickson ended up fighting him. Rolls's influence on Rickson and Royler is unmistakable.

Rolls died in his prime. He was 31 years old. He is credited for developing many of the newer aspects of jiu jitsu, including many techniques from the guard, while adding elements of sambo and wrestling. A true pioneer and truly ahead of his time.

i remember reading an article about Carlson Gracie Sr. and he said Rolls was the best. i remeber when i meet Rogers dad he was telling us about how good Rolls was and how Rolls use to tap Rickson with ease. And Carlos Graie Jr. was telling us that when Rickson foguth Zulu that zulu was supposed to fight Rolls but Zulu was to scared to fight rolls so Rickson stepped up to fight him.

Renzo also said in an interview that Rolls was the best and I think Royce did too but don't quote me on that.

Heres a good article i found about Rolls a while ago.

"He was one of those students that is always looking for the essence, the full knowledge of everything. He wasnt just satisfied with the basics. He always wanted to understand what made everything work and why. To me he was the best fighter in the family."
That was the great Carlson Gracie, talking about Rolls Gracie.

Most everyone on here has their favorite Gracie for some reason or another. Whether its Rickson, Royler, Carlos, Renzo or maybe Helio or Carlson. My personal favorite was Rolls. Here's some info about Rolls, summarized mostly from the book "The Gracie Way"

Rolls was born out of wedlock to Carlos Gracie and Claudia Zandomenico, an Italian stewardess. Since he was born out of wedlock, Carlos's wife didnt want to take care of Rolls, so Carlos entrusted brother Helio to raise his blond haired, blue eyed son. Rolls started teaching at the academy at an early age and the transition from student to teacher was seamless, as Rolls became one of the most sought after instructors around. He would train with Helio privately and got so technical, it was unbelievable. His knowledge of position and techniques was incredible.

He started training with Osvaldo Alves to improve his judo skills. He trained with Osvaldo nearly every day for one year and was introduced to hard training that Osvaldo had learned, while spending a considerable amount of time in Japan.

Rolls would enter every tournament there was, whether it was brazilian jiu jitsu, judo, sambo or wrestling. He especially liked sambo due to its many knee and foot submissions that brazilian jiu jitsu lacked at that time.

Rolls also learned wrestling from Bob Anderson, who has coached wrestlers such as Rulon Gardner, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture and Darrell Gohlar among others. He was one of the best coaches in the world at that time. Anderson was sent to Brazil by the World Wrestling Organization to develop wrestling programs in Brazil. It was there where he met Rolls Gracie. Anderson and Rolls became great friends. Anderson, who was 6'2 220 pounds called Rolls a renaissance man who learned quickly and understood more than jiu jitsu. He went on to say that Rolls was very tough and pound for pound there were very few like the 160 pound Rolls. Anderson later brought Rolls to San Clemente. Rolls wanted to represent Brazil in the Pan Am Championships in wrestling and in sambo. Anderson and Rolls entered the AAU National Championships and The YMCA National Championships. They both walked through the tournaments and destroyed the opposition, winning their respective divisions.

On June 6th 1982, the leader of the new generation of jiu jitsu fighters, who had revolutionized jiu jitsu in the seventies, met his destiny on a borrowed hang glider in the mountains of Maua. Apparently it was a bad day for flying and there wasnt enough wind but Rolls's stubborness took over, as he really wanted to fly. He took a bad drop and was found dead, tangled in the trees.

Rolls had 3 sons, Igor, Gregor, Rolls Jr. and wife Angela.

The things I admired most about Rolls was his open-mindedness and creativity to learn different arts and constantly improve himself. Along with that, I admired his very well documented intensity. When Zulu had challenged the Gacie family to a vale tudo fight, Helio was going to have Rolls fight him but Zulu said "I'll fight anyone in the family except for that blond one!" The teenage Rickson ended up fighting him. Rolls's influence on Rickson and Royler is unmistakable.

Rolls died in his prime. He was 31 years old. He is credited for developing many of the newer aspects of jiu jitsu, including many techniques from the guard, while adding elements of sambo and wrestling. A true pioneer and truly ahead of his time.

good post. I have Rigan's Triangle DVD, and in the beginning Rigan pretty much credits Rolls as the founder of the technique as we know it.

rolls was the best in his day, but comp is alot tougher now

the kings are now jacare and marcelo, either one would maul rolls just on fact that bjj has evoled light years from when rolls was alive

the kings are now jacare and marcelo, either one would maul rolls just on fact that bjj has evoled light years from when rolls was alive

Rolls would be almost 60 years old if he were alive today... :icon_conf

and he would smack you for such blasphemy.

(what a retarded decision to post, man. No one but you has compared Rolls to Jacare or marcelo...because they have nothing to do with this thread. Totally unnecessary AND inaccurate.)

I have to disagree about the competition being tougher now. Back then you had Sperry, Rickson, Bustamante, the Machados, the Gracies, Gracie Baja, the Carlos Gracie fighters, and more.

Right now you can count on one hand the number of really elite guys. Back then there was a plethora of them.

Also, Rolls studied wrestling, JJ, Sambo, and Judo, why would you think he would get smacked around by anyone in a BJJ match?

Rolls used to tap Royce with both arms in his belt, and was the original practitioner to bring the Triangle Choke to BJJ and made it what it is today. Most of the entries and transitions for triangles originated with Rolls, and before that nobody used it.

lol, hard to imagine a time when the triangle choke was some kind of l33t secret :icon_chee

I think Rolls was the best in BJJ too, but I don't think he brought the triangle choke to BJJ. It was already in the art from judo. I do think he brought to it, though.

I think Rolls was the best in BJJ too, but I don't think he brought the triangle choke to BJJ. It was already in the art from judo. I do think he brought to it, though.

I understand that, and that is why I chose my words carefully. I have a DVD in which Rigan explains how nobody in Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil was ever successful using the triangle (it was all collar chokes, etc) in BJJ until Rolls started playing with it and perfecting it. He made the triangle what it is today.

Almost all the techniques in BJJ are from Judo, yet BJJers are so much better with them because of the different entries and transitions etc.

Doesn't Jacare Cavalcanti give Sergio Dorileo credit for bringing the triangle choke to bjj after studying a judo book? Granted they were both Rolls students...

that I'm not sure about, maybe he brought it to Rolls' attention?

All i know is Rigan gave Rolls full credit in the DVD

Never post anything about Jiu Jitsu again for the rest of your forum life.

lmao --i cud name 20 jiu jitsu practioners better than royce --at one time or another

royce has never won anything in bjj

he doesn't talk about rolls.... just says that the triangle changed the jiu jitsu game..

he doesn't talk about rolls.... just says that the triangle changed the jiu jitsu game..

He definitely talks about rolls. I just watched it a few days ago. It might not be in the intro then, but you definitely need to rewatch it.

I'm going to TTT this one time so people know what it is going on with my other thread.

Back