Riddick the last movie in the trilogy

The 'outrunning the sun' was Chronicles. The 'killing a merc with his leg' was Riddick.

I don't think Vin is bad casting for any of the 3 movies, but the cheesy 1 liners and statements by Vin on what a badass he is should not have been in there.

The budget for Riddick was just $40 million ; the budget for Chronicles was $110 million. Riddick just came off as a made for TV movie , but with the low budget - which I gather was because Vin was producing it and couldn't really scrape together any other investors- it is understandable.

Imo, Chronicles and Riddick fall apart because of poor script and directing. A bunch of people sat down and tried to produce a kick ass action movie instead of a good moive. Pitch Black was made to be a good movie.

I believe all the movies were (co)written and directed by David Twohy. So maybe he's just inconsistent.

IMO they had way too much money for Chronicles (after Pitch Black was a surprise hit) and way too little for Riddick after Chronicles "bombed".

i liked chronicles better then pitch black. And i had completely forgotten there even was a third movie until this thread, havent seen riddick. I also very much enjoyed escape from butcher bay on the xbox

Chronicles was the best by far IMO.

Saw it in the theater before I even saw Pitch Black. Was not expecting much but was very pleasantly surprised - just a great sci fi movie.

The video game Butcher Bay was fucking awesome as well.

I thought Pitch Black was a terrible horror movie and an even worse Sci-Fi movie.

I thought The Chronicles of Riddick was better from a Sci Fi perspective. A planet that burns on the star side and freezes on the other side is likely but not likely to have a breathable atmosphere.

Riddick also had better Sci Fi connections with the alien life on the planet and Riddick observing what that life was.

Really loved pitch black. The whole style with the blue and red suns, the darkness and aliens, plus Riddick is such a badass. The scene where Riddick shaves his head and johns commenting about the no shiv rule and Riddick replying with it just being a shaving appliance combined with the tension is so cool imo.

Chronicles had too much going on imo with Riddick saving the universe and shit. I liked pitch Black's simpler plot better with Riddick just trying to get off planet. It should've been about Riddick escaping crematoria imo. although I liked the art direction of the necromongers.

Riddick 3 being pitch black 1.5 was fine with me but I hate the ending where Riddick gets saved by the girl.

Like posted above I'd really like to see a movie based on escape from butcher bay.

Pitch Black in my humble opinion was better than Riddick and both are good...as TV movies but they are just a little too basic to be a theater movie.

Simple and basic movies aren't necessarily lesser as 1 of the best all time movies imho is the Gods Must be Crazy 2 and that is a basic simple movie ; that movie blows out of the water 99% of Hollywood movies. But for action sci-fi movies the grander effects, costumes, locations , plots of Chronicles just beats Pitch Black and Riddick

Last edited:
Pitch Black was by far the best.

Chronicles had its great moments and its face palm moments but overall was a fun movie.

Riddick was fun, but too much of a Pitch Black rehash. I still liked it though.

The first half of Riddick I thought was great, unfortunately it's obligatory to have him murking mercs or it's not a Riddick movie. That part of the film dragged the whole thing down into disjointed B-movie territory.

I wish they would have continued with a smaller scale exploration of the Chronicles universe (Furya anyone?) and brought Kyra back.

Anyone play the "Escape from Butcher Bay" PC game? I always thought that plot would have made an amazing film.
Man, escape from butcher is probably the best game adapted from a film I've ever played. My only problem was that it wasn't very long

Never played this game "Escape from Butcher Bay" you are referring to but now feel the need to , as long as it is on PC.

PB was the best in my opinion, but Chronicles is very good. Riddick just didn't deliver; I loved seeing more of the film universe and Riddick screen time but I just felt they didn't give 100% on it.

Hopefully the Furya sequel is good.

Never played this game "Escape from Butcher Bay" you are referring to but now feel the need to , as long as it is on PC.
Phenomenal game as far as movie franchise games go as well as a great game in its own right and a wonderful look into Riddick pre-PB.

PB was the best in my opinion, but Chronicles is very good. Riddick just didn't deliver; I loved seeing more of the film universe and Riddick screen time but I just felt they didn't give 100% on it.

Hopefully the Furya sequel is good.

Phenomenal game as far as movie franchise games go as well as a great game in its own right and a wonderful look into Riddick pre-PB.
Just saw on Amazon that it is indeed available for PC, so will be getting it soon.

Chronicles is my favorite. I don't know why. It just is. Probably because the Necromongers are just so creepy.

Second movie was the best. Like others who already mentioned, the third movie was a rehash of the first and brought nothing new.

I absolutely loathed Chronicles when it first came out. It's grown on me over the years.

Back