Riddick the last movie in the trilogy

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
The last movie in the trilogy.

To me it came off as a rehash of Pitch Black, what with the Mud Demons all coming out of hibernation when the rains came , leading to a mad dash to safety for the humans holed up in that base. Same scenario in Pitch Black with those creatures underground coming out after the planet entered its cycle of being devoid of sunlight for a long period.

I see lots of critics bash Chronicles and say Pitch Black was better but I think Chronicles was the best in the trilogy. Chronicles had a much more diverse plot. You had Riddick at the start in the mines underground, then being captured by the bounty hunters and the main protagonist being the Lord Marshal and the Necromongers. Chronicles just had more going on while Pitch Black and Riddick are both pretty simple .

Riddick had a vastly smaller budget than Chronicles so it's understandable why they had to keep it simple.

-

So do most of you like Pitch Black or Riddick more than Chronicles?

I liked Pitch Black, but I couldn't get into the other ones in that series.

I'm not a fan of Vin Diesal at all, it's hard for me to enjoy anything he does.

Chronicles showed the riddick universe the best when you take into account the extras on the pitch black DVDs that show you the bounty hunters stories better. Riddick is a great character and had potential for great movies the writers just did not show enough of the riddick universe which hey could of done based on the extras in the dvds.

The last riddick felt like a B movie with a large budget.

I liked Pitch Black, but I couldn't get into the other ones in that series.

I'm not a fan of Vin Diesal at all, it's hard for me to enjoy anything he does.
I don't hate Pitch Black and Riddick but Riddick was a let down.

Not a fan of the F&F movies , and infact never even seen any of them end to end. I don't dislike Vin Diesel but can kinda figure why someone might not dig him. His movies have this Steven Segal aura about them, and by that I mean the movie totally revolves around what a badass Vin is, like the movie is just a means to elevate the actor for the sake of elevating the actor.

I don't hate Pitch Black and Riddick but Riddick was a let down.

Not a fan of the F&F movies , and infact never even seen any of them end to end. I don't dislike Vin Diesel but can kinda figure why someone might not dig him. His movies have this Steven Segal aura about them, and by that I mean the movie totally revolves around what a badass Vin is, like the movie is just a means to elevate the actor for the sake of elevating the actor.
He's just not my type of actor, and I'm not into fast and furious shit with cars doing backflips off mountains and landing on moving trains. I wasn't a fan of Paul Walker either, I mean rip, but what a horrible actor.

I don't see how anyone could like Chronicles better than Pitch Black.

I don't see how anyone could like Chronicles better than Pitch Black.

Because Pitch Black was just a horror movie with a shallow scifi setting.

Chronicles was an action/adventure movie with deep scifi setting, and a great cast.

And, sadly, Riddick was shit. If I had been hyped enough to see it in theaters I'd say it was one of the worst sequels I've ever seen. Thankfully, I heard it was shit and waited for it to come to BluRay to see how bad it was.

I wasn't a fan of Paul Walker either, I mean rip, but what a horrible actor.

Walker wasn't really an actor, in his roles he basically played himself. But, he's just so likeable he made a career out of it.

Good for him.

Basically, he's the male version of Jessica Alba.

And it may sound like I'm knocking him, but I'm not. Just calling it like I see it.

He's just not my type of actor, and I'm not into fast and furious shit with cars doing backflips off mountains and landing on moving trains. I wasn't a fan of Paul Walker either, I mean rip, but what a horrible actor.
I thought he was pretty good in running scared

The first half of Riddick I thought was great, unfortunately it's obligatory to have him murking mercs or it's not a Riddick movie. That part of the film dragged the whole thing down into disjointed B-movie territory.

I wish they would have continued with a smaller scale exploration of the Chronicles universe (Furya anyone?) and brought Kyra back.

Anyone play the "Escape from Butcher Bay" PC game? I always thought that plot would have made an amazing film.

Walker wasn't really an actor, in his roles he basically played himself. But, he's just so likeable he made a career out of it.

Good for him.

Basically, he's the male version of Jessica Alba.

And it may sound like I'm knocking him, but I'm not. Just calling it like I see it.
True, and yea, good for him. I'm not a hater like that, if I don't enjoy your movies then I just don't watch them.

He did seem like a likeable guy, I wonder what else he could have done with his career.

These movies fall into the category of "would have been better if someone else were the lead".

Diesel just comes across as the chubby doughboy in the bar that acts like he's a badass despite the fact he's out of shape, long past his glory. Pitch Black was good, chronicles was alright could have been a little better had they fleshed out the story a little more about the Necros; instead it was just a bunch of Riddick one liners and scenes to show what a badass he is, Riddick was a solo rehash of Pitch Black; of course he makes a friend with the equivalent of that planet's game pit, then he does his usual over the top "I'm the deadliest thing since the black plague" act and somehow converts the lesbian into wanting him (which is a little ironic with the rumors of his sexuality being what they are).

Again, would have been better if someone else did them.

I enjoyed the universe and the movies for what they were... Watch that shit high or slightly buzzed and you're like "whoa..." the whole time.

Pitch Black was enjoyable. Riddick wasn't the main character and it wasn't action movie.

I don't know if I tried to watch Chronicle or Riddick. Maybe both. I remember a scene on a desert planet where someone outruns the sun. I remember an interrogation scene where the captive kick-murders someone with a knife and escapes in a painfully bad action scene. So awful.

Ever since Vin got pregnant, I can't take him seriously as a bad ass anymore. You can't be a new mom and a bad ass at the same time.

1444177857_vin-diesel-article.jpg

Pitch Black was enjoyable. Riddick wasn't the main character and it wasn't action movie.

I don't know if I tried to watch Chronicle or Riddick. Maybe both. I remember a scene on a desert planet where someone outruns the sun. I remember an interrogation scene where the captive kick-murders someone with a knife and escapes in a painfully bad action scene. So awful.
The 'outrunning the sun' was Chronicles. The 'killing a merc with his leg' was Riddick.

I don't think Vin is bad casting for any of the 3 movies, but the cheesy 1 liners and statements by Vin on what a badass he is should not have been in there.

The budget for Riddick was just $40 million ; the budget for Chronicles was $110 million. Riddick just came off as a made for TV movie , but with the low budget - which I gather was because Vin was producing it and couldn't really scrape together any other investors- it is understandable.

Back