News Rico Verhoeven signs a new contract & enters the GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix, plus possibility of crossover-superfights

BoxerMaurits

The Dutchman
Platinum Member
Reaction score

1703526562178.jpeg

Rico Verhoeven Signs a New Contract & Enters the GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix

GLORY can officially announce that the ‘King of Kickboxing’ Rico Verhoeven (60-10, 20 KO) has signed a brand-new three-year contract that will not only see him compete in the ring for multiple more fights but also be more involved with the brand outside of the ring.

In addition, Rico Verhoeven confirms that he will also enter the eight-man one-night GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix which will take place Saturday, March 9, at the GelreDome in Arnhem, the Netherlands.

The heavyweight champion joins a field which includes the previously qualified Tariq Osaro (25-3-1, 13 KO), Levi Rigters (15-1, 7 KO), Uku Jürjendal (20-8, 16 KO), Bahram Rajabzadeh (65-1, 58 KO), and Sofian Laïdouni (35-2-1, 17 KO), and Antonio Plazibat (22-6, 16 KO), who yesterday was confirmed as a wildcard entrant.

"As someone who's been part of the GLORY family since 2012, I can honestly say that I've never felt more motivated and excited," Rico Verhoeven stated. "What truly inspires and drives me is the combination of facing challenges in the ring and my role in growing the brand and combat sports in general outside of it. GLORY's new direction for 2024 is a real game-changer. If you're a fan of combat sports, GLORY is the place to be for non-stop action and entertainment. I put my money where my mouth is by going up against seven other top heavyweights to claim victory in the Heavyweight Grand Prix on March 9!”

“Rico has dominated the heavyweight division in kickboxing for the last 10 years, a feat that no other fighter managed to achieve in other combat sports,” said Pierre Andurand, GLORY co-founder and Chairman. “He is a great champion inside and outside the ring, and I am glad that he decided to fight in GLORY for at least the next three years. Going back to the eight-man tournament format and having Rico competing in the Grand Prix on March 9 is very exciting. Tournaments are more unpredictable and are a test of the fighting spirit. They guarantee more action, more emotions, and more drama. New stars will arise. I hope the fans are as excited as me about what is to come in 2024 and beyond in the sport of kickboxing.”

“Next year will be an historic year for GLORY and with our new strategy in place, Rico will be an important driver for our future success,” said Maurice Hols, GLORY Executive Director. “I am thrilled to see him enter the GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix and extend his contract for multiple more years. Having his involvement with the GLORY brand outside of the ring will also play an important role in what will be a massive period of growth & evolution of the GLORY product for fans.”

This news follows the massive structure change to the GLORY 2024 calendar which will see thrilling Grand Prix events across the heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight, and lightweight divisions, superfights, bigger & more international events, and an elevated fan & viewer experience.

The GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix will take place March 9 live from the GelreDome in Arnhem, the Netherlands. For tickets, please click here to join the presale.

Last edited:
I attended the announcement, was cool te be there:

1703526997739.jpeg

The crossover-superfights thing is something journalists and Rico briefly talked about right there (I don’t think I saw it mentioned elsewhere).
Rico said he got permission and GLORY’s full support to do crossover fights with MMA and Boxing stars, which GLORY has interest in to co-promote. Sounds fun to me!

Thoughts?

I don’t see many mma gets crossing over with him. Honestly not sure which company would be open to it maybe pfl? It’d be interesting to see him vs some top boxers but not sure who’d do it.

Maybe Francis would box him or kickbox him

Brilliant move by Glory. Rico is the heavyweight champ and I don't see that changing for a long time. Hopefully we'll push a superfight between him and Roman Kryklia.

I don’t see many mma gets crossing over with him. Honestly not sure which company would be open to it maybe pfl? It’d be interesting to see him vs some top boxers but not sure who’d do it.

Maybe Francis would box him or kickbox him
Versus Francis under Kickboxing rules would be a cool fight. Couldn't rule out Francis given his performance against Tyson Fury.

Wildcards saved the tournement. Hope rico will meet Rajabzadeh in the first fight. Cause that crazy man will go all in no matter what.

Versus Francis under Kickboxing rules would be a cool fight. Couldn't rule out Francis given his performance against Tyson Fury.
It’d be interesting. Rico is 276 vs ngannou 271. Ngannou has the power advantage but Rico is more skilled in kickboxing. Honestly not sure who’d win but it’d be a good fight.

Ngannou doesn't have much to offer in Kickboxing other than a 1 punch KO. Rico's pace and mix with kicks would be too much. Of course with Ngannou's power anything is possible, but it's not really an exciting fight IMO.

Ngannou doesn't have much to offer in Kickboxing other than a 1 punch KO. Rico's pace and mix with kicks would be too much. Of course with Ngannou's power anything is possible, but it's not really an exciting fight IMO.
I'm mean, duh, but the fact that he does have the power to put Rico out does make it exciting. Gonna disagree there. Also the fact that Ngannou being the UFC HW champ, leaving to go fight the best HW Boxer (and former training partner of Rico) and arguably winning, then going on to fight the best HW Kickoboxer is big time narrative. Unlike ANY narrative Glory has been able to put together on their own, ever.

Not likely to happen anyways.

I'm mean, duh, but the fact that he does have the power to put Rico out does make it exciting. Gonna disagree there. Also the fact that Ngannou being the UFC HW champ, leaving to go fight the best HW Boxer (and former training partner of Rico) and arguably winning, then going on to fight the best HW Kickoboxer is big time narrative. Unlike ANY narrative Glory has been able to put together on their own, ever.

Not likely to happen anyways.

Him going to Kickboxing in its current stage would be a step down in his career, he also doesn't like kicks and Glory's best offer for him would probably be a tenth of what he's expecting for a fight nowadays. This match up is completely fictive and doesn't even make sense stylistically. But we can all dream.

Him going to Kickboxing in its current stage would be a step down in his career, he also doesn't like kicks and Glory's best offer for him would probably be a tenth of what he's expecting for a fight nowadays. This match up is completely fictive and doesn't even make sense stylistically. But we can all dream.
Right, like I said it's not likely to happen. I'd still argue it would be exciting however.

Wildcards saved the tournement. Hope rico will meet Rajabzadeh in the first fight. Cause that crazy man will go all in no matter what.
Isn't that guy a MW ?

I want a Plazi Cookie rematch first round

Doesn't look to hard for Antonio to get to the final

Is it all in 1 night ? So Ricco got 3 fights too ?

That Soufian guy has no chance, too small. Saw him beat Benjy, but Benjy looked more bad then Soufian good. Not that Soufian doesn't look nice, but it's the GP.

So who else will be in there, I guess that 140kg Moroccan young guy.

Levi Uku look promising.

Looks good the GP.

Maybe add in Beny. And that other Morrocon guy, who got a split decision win over Plazibat, who lost first round to a righter teep.

Overal good tournament. Will be exciting. I guess Ben Saddik isn't back for this.

Now it's split between one and glory. K1 had them all , they were the only big show.

View attachment 1019822

Rico Verhoeven Signs a New Contract & Enters the GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix

GLORY can officially announce that the ‘King of Kickboxing’ Rico Verhoeven (60-10, 20 KO) has signed a brand-new three-year contract that will not only see him compete in the ring for multiple more fights but also be more involved with the brand outside of the ring.

In addition, Rico Verhoeven confirms that he will also enter the eight-man one-night GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix which will take place Saturday, March 9, at the GelreDome in Arnhem, the Netherlands.

The heavyweight champion joins a field which includes the previously qualified Tariq Osaro (25-3-1, 13 KO), Levi Rigters (15-1, 7 KO), Uku Jürjendal (20-8, 16 KO), Bahram Rajabzadeh (65-1, 58 KO), and Sofian Laïdouni (35-2-1, 17 KO), and Antonio Plazibat (22-6, 16 KO), who yesterday was confirmed as a wildcard entrant.

"As someone who's been part of the GLORY family since 2012, I can honestly say that I've never felt more motivated and excited," Rico Verhoeven stated. "What truly inspires and drives me is the combination of facing challenges in the ring and my role in growing the brand and combat sports in general outside of it. GLORY's new direction for 2024 is a real game-changer. If you're a fan of combat sports, GLORY is the place to be for non-stop action and entertainment. I put my money where my mouth is by going up against seven other top heavyweights to claim victory in the Heavyweight Grand Prix on March 9!”

“Rico has dominated the heavyweight division in kickboxing for the last 10 years, a feat that no other fighter managed to achieve in other combat sports,” said Pierre Andurand, GLORY co-founder and Chairman. “He is a great champion inside and outside the ring, and I am glad that he decided to fight in GLORY for at least the next three years. Going back to the eight-man tournament format and having Rico competing in the Grand Prix on March 9 is very exciting. Tournaments are more unpredictable and are a test of the fighting spirit. They guarantee more action, more emotions, and more drama. New stars will arise. I hope the fans are as excited as me about what is to come in 2024 and beyond in the sport of kickboxing.”

“Next year will be an historic year for GLORY and with our new strategy in place, Rico will be an important driver for our future success,” said Maurice Hols, GLORY Executive Director. “I am thrilled to see him enter the GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix and extend his contract for multiple more years. Having his involvement with the GLORY brand outside of the ring will also play an important role in what will be a massive period of growth & evolution of the GLORY product for fans.”

This news follows the massive structure change to the GLORY 2024 calendar which will see thrilling Grand Prix events across the heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight, and lightweight divisions, superfights, bigger & more international events, and an elevated fan & viewer experience.

The GLORY Heavyweight Grand Prix will take place March 9 live from the GelreDome in Arnhem, the Netherlands. For tickets, please click here to join the presale.

The dude is gonna get paid, he deserves it tbh.

Ngannou has significantly better boxing than Rico, who's been prone to getting caught and dropped in a few of his last fights.

Tbf the first clips I saw of him back when he still had his hair braided and was a bit skinnier his legkicks looked pretty solid especially for someone who started late.

But you are right, would also be horrible for Glory businesswise. Rico might get knocked out and Francis just jumps on a bigger boxing payday and now you are left with a Champ that got knocked out by an outsider.

Tbf the first clips I saw of him back when he still had his hair braided and was a bit skinnier his legkicks looked pretty solid especially for someone who started late.

But you are right, would also be horrible for Glory businesswise. Rico might get knocked out and Francis just jumps on a bigger boxing payday and now you are left with a Champ that got knocked out by an outsider.

It would be 100% worth it to do it regardless of the outcome. Awareness is significantly more important than just your champion getting beaten by someone else.

Many people still do not even know Glory exist much less watch it. More people would watch Glory for that one fight than Rico's next 5 fights combined probably.

It would be 100% worth it to do it regardless of the outcome. Awareness is significantly more important than just your champion getting beaten by someone else.

Many people still do not even know Glory exist much less watch it. More people would watch Glory for that one fight than Rico's next 5 fights combined probably.
It would bring more eyes for sure but I somehow fear a lot of them might write off kickboxing should Ngannou win or look better at times and feel embolded in their opinion that MMA is superior (Even if they complain about the grappling lol).

Then again it might be worth the try, it is so bizarre that kickboxing or Muay Thai never took off in America that stuff is perfect for all the JB meatheads.

Back