Rickson states that competition BJJ

No, I don't think so. What I do think is that is the Gracie's way of selling their "self defense" BJJ.
If you watch the video of the Royler & Rickson demonstration at Pride, their knife/stick/gun defense looked like strip mall mcdojo stuff.

awesome, what are his credentials.

HAHA!

But seriously, I'm glad to see another BJJ legend say that. Saulo says as much too. Even though I fair well in competitions (I have never failed to place), I still think too much emphasis is placed on competitions wins.

"You guys watch too much fucking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu." - Relson Gracie

No, I don't think so. What I do think is that is the Gracie's way of selling their "self defense" BJJ.
If you watch the video of the Royler & Rickson demonstration at Pride, their knife/stick/gun defense looked like strip mall mcdojo stuff.

I think you're mistaking Rickson for Rorion. Rickson isn't selling anything. And he's right.

I like the self defense stuff. I'm always psyched to watch those old vids of Helio working knife and gun defense.

I don't know about the 30% mark, but I will say there is a lot of jiujitsu that falls outside the sport category.

30% is sport BJJ, 30% self-defense, and the rest is Rickson worship...

Seriously who cares what he thinks? If you train sport bjj, then 100% is sport. It is what you make of it. The Gracies have been deluded for a long time.

The only one I can take seriously is Renzo bc he is the only one that puts it on the line repeatedly and actually practices what he preaches.

"I think you're mistaking Rickson for Rorion"

Naw, I'm not mistaking. I just don't really have a lot of respect for Helio's side of the family, except for Relson. I guess Rorion did ruin it for me. Maybe you all are correct, but I don't buy the GJJ vs BJJ stuff that much.

sports bjj is good enough for his son and iirc he never made comments like this when kron was dominating at the brown belt lvl and tapping everyone oout.

Jiu Jitsu is still a martial art, and that's the perspective he's taking. He's not saying sport competition is bad, just that it's not representative of the full martial art. And he's right. There are tons of sport-specific things, there are lots of other things that you need in order to gear your grappling for fighting. I don't know about 30%...maybe 50.

uh, what the hell does "gun and knife defense" have to do with jiu jitsu?
if somebody comes at you with a glock you pull guard?

sports bjj is good enough for his son and iirc he never made comments like this when kron was dominating at the brown belt lvl and tapping everyone oout.

Exactly.

As a friend said: "Maybe he said that because Kron only wins 30% of his matches at black belt."

ZING!

I would be uncomfortable being promoted to black belt if knowledge was limited to sport bjj in the gi.

I agree...33.3% competition....33.3% Vale-Tudo and 33.3% Self Defense

BJJ's origins were self defense oriented. Gun and knife disarming techniques were part of the fundamentals that Helio taught.

This baffles me. Why does everyone talk like the go-to bjj strategy in ANY street confrontation is to pull guard? Where is this coming from?

Oh, pulling guard isn't good if someone has a knife.

What are you gonna do if you're in a streetfight on concrete? Pulling guard is a bad idea on cement!

Yeah, no shit. Way to counter an argument that nobody was making.

30% is sport BJJ, 30% self-defense, and the rest is Rickson worship...

Seriously who cares what he thinks? If you train sport bjj, then 100% is sport. It is what you make of it. The Gracies have been deluded for a long time.

The only one I can take seriously is Renzo bc he is the only one that puts it on the line repeatedly and actually practices what he preaches.

Well yes, obviously sport bjj is 100% sport bjj. But sport bjj isn't all of what bjj has always been about. The fact that there are so many high level bjj practitioners in MMA is not a coincidence nor an accident. It was designed for a fight. The sporting aspect existed simultaneously, and allowed practitioners to hone their skills and develop them to a high level. Sport-style training and competition is certainly part of bjj. But what Rickson is saying (taking into account that all percentages like this are arbitrary) is that the art that he learned and taught is not purely sport, and is meant for fighting and self defense as well. Whether you choose to train purely for sport of not, that's your choice. There's nothing wrong with one or the other. But what Rickson is saying is merely that the jiu jitsu he believes in is not just a sport, although sport is part of it.

I don't see what part of that people find so objectionable.

Well yes, obviously sport bjj is 100% sport bjj. But sport bjj isn't all of what bjj has always been about. The fact that there are so many high level bjj practitioners in MMA is not a coincidence nor an accident. It was designed for a fight. The sporting aspect existed simultaneously, and allowed practitioners to hone their skills and develop them to a high level. Sport-style training and competition is certainly part of bjj. But what Rickson is saying (taking into account that all percentages like this are arbitrary) is that the art that he learned and taught is not purely sport, and is meant for fighting and self defense as well. Whether you choose to train purely for sport of not, that's your choice. There's nothing wrong with one or the other. But what Rickson is saying is merely that the jiu jitsu he believes in is not just a sport, although sport is part of it.

I don't see what part of that people find so objectionable.

I agree......I hate when people say that BJJ is just a sport....wrong it is a fighting art first.

Back