Rickson states that competition BJJ

How many people here get a friend or training partner to put on a pair of gloves and throw strikes at you(he pretends he's almost grappling retarded) while you try to defend/avoid them and submit him using only BJJ?

It is not only Rickson that thinks this way......I have talked with high ranking black belts (Maters and Grandmasters) that say the same thing. According to them if you don't do the complete Jiu-Jitsu you are doing a watered down Jiu-Jitsu.

I know someone newbie is going to get butt hurt but I did not say this.....I am simply repeating it. :icon_chee

I was not disagreeing at all.

I think he is correct.

I just has the same conversation with a blue belt yesterday night at the club.

We are in a stage of the JJ development where people are creating "new" techniques to only win in JJ competitions.

How many people here get a friend or training partner to put on a pair of gloves and throw strikes at you(he pretends he's almost grappling retarded) while you try to defend/avoid them and submit him using only BJJ?

Me.

I do it every now and then. I find it fun and cool to do because it gives you a different perspective on your game and it brings you out of a realm of comfort. Helps you decide what "really works"

I've done this in training, but not with him pretending he's grappling retarded. He's a blue belt, I'm a purple, but he's much better at striking so basically my only viable option was on the ground. Let me tell you it's tougher than you think.

Yeah brother....why did I screw up......you are not giving me a yellow card are you?:icon_sad:

Haha, no way. I'm just checking, cause I thought you were, but I wasn't sure.

I was just thinking that it's funny, that when Rickson (who has been training and fighting since he was a kid), or you who are a black belt, some out and say that sport bjj is not the whole picture, there are people with much less experience telling you "no it's a sport, you're wrong." Where really what those people are saying is a much more recent opinion.

Me,
We have MMA nights at the gym where our guys train for their amateur bouts. SO some of it is rules based.

We do drills where a man on top wears gloves and tries to pin you against a wall in your guard and GNP and we try to escape or submit, and let me tell you, it is pure exhaustion.

I've done this in training, but not with him pretending he's grappling retarded. He's a blue belt, I'm a purple, but he's much better at striking so basically my only viable option was on the ground. Let me tell you it's tougher than you think.

In my Vale-Tudo classes we have a drill where I make one student put on boxing gloves and have him in the top guard. The student on the bottom can only sweep and defend against strikes. The student with the gloves can only strike to the body and face but can't pass the guard....although he can stand if he wishes.

It is a good drill and very tiring...plus it makes you work your tie-ups form the guard such and head and arm control, double over-hooks and double under-hooks.

The whole striking thing kind of gave me a little epiphany because sometimes I'll chill out with someone in my guard for a second without maintaining control, but now I consider if they can hit me I better get my ass working to control

I was just thinking that it's funny, that when Rickson (who has been training and fighting since he was a kid), or you who are a black belt, some out and say that sport bjj is not the whole picture, there are people with much less experience telling you "no it's a sport, you're wrong." Where really what those people are saying is a much more recent opinion.

I agree brother....there are also those that say that BJJ has no strikes either......wrong.

I think it is more the newer generation that have these wrong opinions. Where they are getting there info. makes me curious. I mean when I am out and about wearing my Vale-Tudo shirts I will have a guy that trains come up to me and ask me what is Vale-Tudo and I look at them like WTF...you train BJJ and you don't know:icon_neut.....

"Don't ask me if I do JITZ....cause I will show you JITZ..... right up the side of your head"

The whole striking thing kind of gave me a little epiphany because sometimes I'll chill out with someone in my guard for a second without maintaining control, but now I consider if they can hit me I better get my ass working to control

LOL.

I did that to a lazy teamate, a couple of slaps and he was moving really quick.

But if you want to do the slapping stuff, it is better to take the jacket off.

In my Vale-Tudo classes we have a drill where I make one student put on boxing gloves and have him in the top guard. The student on the bottom can only sweep and defend against strikes. The student with the gloves can only strike to the body and face but can't pass the guard....although he can stand if he wishes.

It is a good drill and very tiring...plus it makes you work your tie-ups form the guard such and head and arm control, double over-hooks and double under-hooks.

That's a pretty good drill.

I remember one time when a teammate was "testing" for one of his stripes when we were both blues (testing means basically he demonstrates some techniques and we kill him the rest of the class), my instructor texted me before class and said to bring my no gi stuff. I show up, and mid-class he pulls me into the dressing room and tells me to change. He then gives me some MMA gloves, and we go back. Then he says for me to start on top in the guy's guard, and I can punch (not full force) and grapple, and he can only grapple. It was my first time doing that, and a true learning experience. He learned that he had a great defensive guard. And I learned that striking changes things from both the top and bottom.

That's a pretty good drill.

I remember one time when a teammate was "testing" for one of his stripes when we were both blues (testing means basically he demonstrates some techniques and we kill him the rest of the class), my instructor texted me before class and said to bring my no gi stuff. I show up, and mid-class he pulls me into the dressing room and tells me to change. He then gives me some MMA gloves, and we go back. Then he says for me to start on top in the guy's guard, and I can punch (not full force) and grapple, and he can only grapple. It was my first time doing that, and a true learning experience. He learned that he had a great defensive guard. And I learned that striking changes things from both the top and bottom.

Sometimes I will have guys come in from other schools to try out our Vale-Tudo class. Man talk about a wake up call these guys have......some of them don't realize it is a different game until they get hit in the face when they leave themselves open. It is a good thing because it makes them realize there is more to BJJ than they thought.

Do you have any suggestions for good sources i.e vids and books for VT training?

it's funny how some people talk shit about TMA being useless and ineffective in a real fight but get all defensive and dismissive when the whole issue of not training BJJ for self-defence comes up.

he is always right, he was right about nogueira and fedor.

rickson is always right.

Do you have any suggestions for good sources i.e vids and books for VT training?

Dude Mario Sperry has some of the best stuff on VT....that dude is one of my favorite fighters...him and Murillo Bustamante.

I can tell you personally that some of the old school guys don't care all that much about your comp record.
My instructor has been a purple under Relson forever. He's won silver at the Pan Ams as a blue and won Hawaii state championships a couple of times.
He quit training gi for a while and Relson was not happy.
He told him, "... I don't care what championships you win or lose, my job is to make sure you are never beaten in a street fight..." (I'm paraphrasing of course)

And that is how he promotes and he won't promote unless you learn this practical part of Jiu Jitsu. My instructor is living proof. I have seen him tap out black belts. But I don't think he ever really cared that much about the promotions. Now that he is an instructor, he sees the importance of the belt as credential for an instructor, so he has dusted off the gi and been working the combatives stuff with a few of us and the rumor is he should be up for the brown soon.

Now I know this sort of opens up a whole new can of worms that I don't want to get started on... the whole ordeal of prospective students who are uneducated on the politics of BJJ belts and see a black belt as a black belt and a purple belt as a purple belt, even though the purple may be more skilled, he gets less respect from the noobs.
But the point I wanted to make was that there are still instructors out there who aren't just sport focused, and I take solace in knowing my instructor is one of them. Sure I have fun rolling, but I still want to learn the practicality as well. Cause that is the origin of the art, and it should be remembered, even if not emphasized.

Back