Rickson states that competition BJJ

I said it before earlier in the thread, but again Lloyd did not credit the traditional Gracie gun defensive techniques in that situation. He said that he used a disarm that he learned from Sambo training.

I'm not sure if you were talking about the Gracie techniques specifically or just those defenses in general, but either way it's good to clear it up.

I think the take-away point is that you can use grappling in self-defense even when the opponent is armed.

More appropriately, though, you should escape the first strike, attack vital points like the eyes, and attempt to disarm.

"A farmer tried to kill Helio by gunfire once, Helio managed to disarm him but still the bullet grazed his leg."

Never heard that Helio was shot, even grazed. Heard he boasted he took the gun away before the guy could pull the trigger.

Anyway, the knife/gun/sick defense sounds retarded. "Swing the stick down at me this way...."

That's not true. You can train knife defense with full resistance, just use a rubber knife. I did it last night, it's very difficult.

You can definitely train knife/gun defense with rubber weapons and full resistance but,IMHO, it doesn't recreate the realities of that type of confrontation enough to be consistently useful. I guess some type of preparation for that type of scenario is better than none.

I think the take-away point is that you can use grappling in self-defense even when the opponent is armed.

More appropriately, though, you should escape the first strike, attack vital points like the eyes, and attempt to disarm.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with that.

I think it's funny how sometimes people say that grappling is useless against weapons, when in fact grappling is pretty much the only way to have even a small shot of defending against a weapon. Old jiu-jitsu was invented partly as a last resort method of defending against weapons on the battlefield unarmed.

I have some issues with the Gracie self-defense techniques against the knife, but all unarmed forms of weapon defense involve grappling. As you said, you need to evade, grapple the weapon arm, weaken the opponent, and then takedown/disarm.

"Without the other 70%, which includes standup self-defense, defensive striking and clinching skills and an efficient vale-tudo guard"

Everyone is talking about the stand-up self-defense part (17.5% of real BJJ).

Any takers for the other 3 aspects (52.5%)? or is it just BS?

That's not true. You can train knife defense with full resistance, just use a rubber knife. I did it last night, it's very difficult.

I agree...knife defenses can be trained with resistance...have proper equipment and techniques. We spar knife vs knife a lot more than knife vs empty hand...besides I don't go anywhere with out a knife.

SuperSuperRambo if I ever go to NY we got to get together and do some training brother.

Oh yeah I definitely agree with that.

I think it's funny how sometimes people say that grappling is useless against weapons, when in fact grappling is pretty much the only way to have even a small shot of defending against a weapon. Old jiu-jitsu was invented partly as a last resort method of defending against weapons on the battlefield unarmed.

I have some issues with the Gracie self-defense techniques against the knife, but all unarmed forms of weapon defense involve grappling. As you said, you need to evade, grapple the weapon arm, weaken the opponent, and then takedown/disarm.

I have to agree some of their knife defense techniques are weak.....coming from a Kali background I cringed when I first saw them. Gun takeaways work if done correctly.

Some people say that gun takeaways don't work but they do if properly trained. As a matter a fact the bigger the gun the easier it is to control and take away. It is all about leverage and control.

I did a SBG seminar on knife defense. As opposed to trying to do some fancy disarm-to-throw or whatever, the best thing to do was to get control of the knife-hand, and from there you can try to trip or whatever... but it's hardly a clean process.

I did a SBG seminar on knife defense. As opposed to trying to do some fancy disarm-to-throw or whatever, the best thing to do was to get control of the knife-hand, and from there you can try to trip or whatever... but it's hardly a clean process.

Whenever you disarm a knife, expect some degree of injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back